WJ Custom HID projector retrofit [PICS] - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Custom HID projector retrofit [PICS]

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #31
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud2388 View Post
I will have to warn you that the OEM housings are MUCH harder to take apart than the oem look-a-likes on ebay. The glue used on the OEM takes a lot more heat to get it soft, which can lead to melting if you are not careful. If I was you, I would just grab a replacements from ebay since the housings are not as hard to get apart. They run around $80 for a pair online and I am sure you will pay close to that from a junk yard. Just my 2 cents.

But to the OP, great job!
Did not realise that. Bit of a pain as I want to take them apart to spray the inners black in Laredo style. Will just have to be patient. Has anyone used the hot knife adapters you can attach to soldering irons to get them apart.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
jrkarger
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I will have to warn you that the OEM housings are MUCH harder to take apart than the oem look-a-likes on ebay. The glue used on the OEM takes a lot more heat to get it soft, which can lead to melting if you are not careful. If I was you, I would just grab a replacements from ebay since the housings are not as hard to get apart. They run around $80 for a pair online and I am sure you will pay close to that from a junk yard. Just my 2 cents.

But to the OP, great job!
Could be my noob-ness showing off again, but is there a difference between actual OEM housings and OEM look-a-like on ebay? It really doesn't matter to me just as long as I maintain the OEM look.
jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

I keep looking at this thread... I'm really inclined to do a retrofit using this kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

I'm torn, either do a retrofit or install some offroad lights in front of the grill??? My wallet wont let me do both.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
I keep looking at this thread... I'm really inclined to do a retrofit using this kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

I'm torn, either do a retrofit or install some offroad lights in front of the grill??? My wallet wont let me do both.
Retrofit. You can use that light on the roads AND off road. Behind the grill would only be off road.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
spud2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
Could be my noob-ness showing off again, but is there a difference between actual OEM housings and OEM look-a-like on ebay? It really doesn't matter to me just as long as I maintain the OEM look.
There are subtle differences. The glue used on the aftermarket housings isn't as strong (still strong enough) as the OEM and the reflectors are a little different. One has some rounded angles on the reflector and the other is a little more square (probably wouldn't notice in a side-by-side comparison). I am sure the plastic is made a little cheaper, but nothing that would stop me, or just about anyone from buying the look-a-likes...
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
jrkarger
2004 WJ 

Quote:
There are subtle differences. The glue used on the aftermarket housings isn't as strong (still strong enough) as the OEM and the reflectors are a little different. One has some rounded angles on the reflector and the other is a little more square (probably wouldn't notice in a side-by-side comparison). I am sure the plastic is made a little cheaper, but nothing that would stop me, or just about anyone from buying the look-a-likes...
Thanks!
jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #37
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry View Post
Retrofit. You can use that light on the roads AND off road. Behind the grill would only be off road.
Agreed! Retrofit all the way. You'll use it 100% of the time and it looks great!
redmen031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #38
irippchainsaws
2002 WJ 

I just ordered some new headlight housings and I'm gearing up to dive into an hid project...my original plan was to put my 9005 bulbs in the low spots with a little trim to the bulb and drop some 70w HID's in the high spot for off road only...but after reading your project I think it might be smarter to run a bi-xenon in the lows and keep my halogen highs..my question is could you use those h1's and have the solenoid actuate when the halogens kick on?
irippchainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #39
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irippchainsaws View Post
I just ordered some new headlight housings and I'm gearing up to dive into an hid project...my original plan was to put my 9005 bulbs in the low spots with a little trim to the bulb and drop some 70w HID's in the high spot for off road only...but after reading your project I think it might be smarter to run a bi-xenon in the lows and keep my halogen highs..my question is could you use those h1's and have the solenoid actuate when the halogens kick on?
If you're asking if you can run both highs at the same time, yes. It's called a Y splitter and it has been running flawlessly in my set up. The only thing would to make sure you have the right connectors. I'm not too sure about that. I'm running 9011 (hir version of 9005) in the highs and what I guess you would call 9006 hid Ballasts in the bi xenons
Unread 04-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
fatty119
2004 WJ 

Could you pain the shrouds black? I have the black Laredo housings, and prefer that look.
fatty119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #41
bangdupwj59
2003 WJ 

These look sweet. Im with you I dont like the leds or the halos. Let us know if you would be interested in doing these for some people here and how much if we send you the headlights.
bangdupwj59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #42
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdupwj59 View Post
These look sweet. Im with you I dont like the leds or the halos. Let us know if you would be interested in doing these for some people here and how much if we send you the headlights.
So I sold the Jeep a while ago and it recently went back up for sale, VERY tempted to pick her up again. I have a 1999 Cherokee Classic now, completely stock

Time is really tight these days but I can probably whip up a few kits for a few of you guys. I can get better pricing if we get at least 5 kits together. Also since I build lights for a living (side job) better equipment is now available as far as projectors go which will make the job a bit smoother I think. I can probably do each kit for $1,000 even, including shipping. This would include 4 HID bulbs, 4 ballasts and 4 new projectors and shrouds as well. Let me know, thanks! I'm not on here very frequently so if I don't respond just shoot me a PM and that will go to my personal email.
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #43
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

To make your package price more appealing, I'd say you just go with a bi-xenon in the low beam. That's what I'm running, E55 projector in the low beam, but I have the stock high beam reflectors come on with the projector high beams. Definitely enough light on the street, no need to run dual projectors in each headlight. Lowers the cost for the consumer quite a bit.
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #44
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
To make your package price more appealing, I'd say you just go with a bi-xenon in the low beam. That's what I'm running, E55 projector in the low beam, but I have the stock high beam reflectors come on with the projector high beams. Definitely enough light on the street, no need to run dual projectors in each headlight. Lowers the cost for the consumer quite a bit.
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea because I want to be one of the few guys out there running dual projectors on his wj
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #45
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Agreed, one bi-xenon or just regular low beam is all you need. But, I am somewhat obsessed with light so it simply wasn't an option for me

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.