WJ Custom HID projector retrofit [PICS] - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Custom HID projector retrofit [PICS]

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
redmen031

WJ Custom HID projector retrofit [PICS]

New guy here! Thought I'd start with a how-to HID projector retrofit for our WJ's. This retro-fit is being installed in a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Unfortunately my Jeep is for sale and so are the headlights, but it's not my last Jeep! If I didn't post this how-to before I sold her I knew I probably never would. So without further adieu, let's get to the parts list and pictures!

Parts:
2x Lexus AFS low beam projectors
2x Hella 60mm high beam projectors
35W morimoto ballasts
Philips 85122 D2S 4300K low beam bulbs
H1 Halogen high beam bulbs
4x Gatling gun shrouds
2x Clear lenses for low beam projectors
2x Brand new headlight housings
Miscellaneous pigtails, connectors, wires etc.

All the fun parts:

Lexus projectors

Gatling gun shrouds

Philips D2S bulbs on the right and fog light bulbs on the left (different project)

First things first, throw those beautiful brand new headlight housings in the oven at 350 for about 5-10 minutes, or until the sealant softens up. Then gently pry the lens off. Be careful not to get the sealant on the chrome headlight housing because it will NOT come off. The inner chrome housing also separates from the black plastic piece. Remove that and put it aside for now.

The next two pictures shows you what the clear lens upgrade will do. The stock Lexus projectors lenses are not 100% optically clear, and that results in a slightly blurry cutoff and no nice blue cut-off line that's typical with luxury cars.

Here is the before picture with the stock Lexus lenses

Here is it upgraded with the clear lenses

Next, using a dremel tool I cut out a circle in the back of the low beam housing. If you cut it too big the shroud will fall through, but if you don't cut it big enough the projector won't fit through. Do a few passes with the dremel until it's just right. I also cut a hole in the high beam housing side but I don't have that pictured.

In order to get the Lexus projectors to sit in the shrouds perfectly, I had to grind down the inside of the shrouds with a sanding stone that i attached to my die grinder. This part was extremely frustrating but projectors did fit in the end! The top shroud in the below picture has been ground down and the bottom shroud is stock for reference.

Hella high beam projector

Now seat your low and hi beam projectors in the shrouds and affix them with silicone and epoxy. I use silicone on all my retro-fits and I have never had a problem. It's flexible and waterproof which is perfect for doing retrofits (yep, I retrofit all my cars!)

Here's another tricky part. When attaching the projectors to the housing you want to get them as level as possible. You do still retain the stock headlight adjustments but you can only adjust the lights so much, so make sure to take your time and get them seated level.

Projectors glued into place with silicone and all cleaned up.

Time to glue the headlight covers back into place

Use clamps to hold the covers on until the silicone cures

All done! They look fairly stock from the back too!

Time for the end results, enjoy the pictures!

continued below...

redmen031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
redmen031

Oh yeah, a quick full LED interior too!

Output shots!

LOW BEAMS

HIGH BEAMS

Thanks for looking!

Unread 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
jeep0086
2000 WJ 

wow great write up!!! good job
SOLD--00 WJ limited 4.7l HO paxton SUPERCHARGED 18 lbs, 9.0 Ross coated pistons, crane 224 cams, f&b 72 tb, 2008 intake manifold, scat rods, arp studs , ati balancer, sct tuned, 47 lb injectors, port and polished race heads
06 WK Overland HEMI
jeep0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

That looks like a lot of work but WOW that looks nice.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
truebluetitan
2004 WJ 

Excellent write up. Great looking conversion and WJ!
'04 WJ Limited, 4.7L V8, OME HD 3" Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS Adjustable Trackbar, MOOG Steering Stabilizer, OME 10 MM Spacers, Addco 1" Rear Antisway Bar, Greaseable Bushings, 20% Front Window Tint, LED Rear Lights, Projector Headlights, WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats, Carbon Fiber Interior | Build Thread http://bit.ly/HsPIhz
truebluetitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
adolphhipster
2000 WJ 

how much did it cost you about do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using JeepForum
adolphhipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Looks great and so much better than the crap looking halos that seem to be everywhere!!! Have to say that the new main beam looks a bit high though.
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Great write-up and sweet photography skills!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Bluefish94
2000 WJ 

Well done looks great!

Sent from my ECM
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

I bought the morimoto mini's. 5.0. What shrouds are those? The mini gatling? Or gatling 2.0? I didn't know so I just got the mini gatlings.

For those of you how would like to upgrade from the ebay headlight assemblies here's the link to the minis.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

I didn't want the lame led or halo's that come with the ebay ones. And I've seen the minis on a car in person. They are amazing. With a good HID kit they are better!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Trailmaker5
2002 WJ 

Looks good, def. looks like alot of work involved.

What are the specs on the Jeep, lift/tires? The Grand looks very nice.
Trailmaker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolphhipster View Post
how much did it cost you about do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using JeepForum
Was a while ago but I think it was probably about $500 total in parts to put this kit together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Looks great and so much better than the crap looking halos that seem to be everywhere!!! Have to say that the new main beam looks a bit high though.
Main beam might be a tad high, but I made up for it once I properly aimed them. Also, you can see in the pictures the high beams are pointed slightly higher than the low beams. It gives me much further vision when wheeling on the beach at night
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner23 View Post
I bought the morimoto mini's. 5.0. What shrouds are those? The mini gatling? Or gatling 2.0? I didn't know so I just got the mini gatlings.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
You know what, now that you mention it I think they are the mini gatling gun shrouds! Told you it's been a few months since I put these together
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
redmen031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmaker5 View Post
Looks good, def. looks like alot of work involved.

What are the specs on the Jeep, lift/tires? The Grand looks very nice.

Thanks!

I installed a 3" lift kit on it. Old man emu heavy duty 3" springs, Bilstein 5100 Series shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar and an HD Rancho Steering Stabilizer. The tires are 32 inch Wrangler Duratrac's and were road force balanced using the Hunter GSP9700. She drives better than stock! Also have the recovery 3/4" shackles on the front and Yakima fat cat roof racks on the top.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Here are a few more shots of the Jeep for whoever's interested

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.