WJ Cruise Control In-depth Troubleshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Cruise Control In-depth Troubleshooting

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-14-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
tinklybear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wj WJ Cruise Control In-depth Troubleshooting

This is on my Father's 2001 WJ Laredo with a 4.0L. Current status: Light turns on and stays on until you press set, the light goes off soon after that and will not on again until you shut off and start the jeep.

I have gone more in-depth than any of the threads I have found, but still have not nailed down the problem. My current questions I am trying to answer are in bold below.

Steering wheel switches: Unplugged the C3 connector from the PCM, and used a multimeter to measure the switch resistances between Pin 32 of the connector and ground. Cannot find what proper numbers are for this (not listed in FSM for WJs), but I think it's good all the numbers are different and non-0
Results:
  • On/Off 459 Ohms
  • Set: 4300 Ohms
  • Res/Accel 15,400 Ohms
  • Cancel: 1,220 Ohms
  • Coast 2,920 Ohms

Brake pedal Switch: At C3 connector pins 11 and 24, I verified resistance when brake pedal is pressed (I think 20kOhm) and ~0 when pedal is not pressed.

Vacuum Lines: Vacuum lines appear to be in good condition. After not running the car for a few hours, there was still vacuum in the hoses when I removed the CC servo for testing

CC Servo: Removed unit and pushed on the vacuum diaphragm(where the cable connects), moves smoothly, I am not sure how hard it to should be to compress but it seemed sort of reasonable and it rebounds on its own. Vacuum soleoid (center) moves with 5V. Other two solenoids (vent and dump) will not move with 5V but will move with 6V. Not sure what voltage they are supposed to move at, it is not listed anywhere. Reinstalled solenoid servo and tested it by applying a 9V DC signal to connector C3 Pin 11 and grounding to the frame and could hear multiple solenoids clicking in the CC unit. Tried applying a vacuum with a manual pump, then actuating the solenoids. There was a little tension of the cable, but it quickly lost the vacuum I built with the pump so it relaxed. Does this mean that my solenoid unit is leaking and needs replaced?

Cable: Cable is connected but seems to have a significant amount of slack in it. Tested by placing a camera and flash light under the hood while driving. There appeared to be tension in the cable for a brief moment when pressing the set button, but it quickly slackened, I will try to post the video tomorrow. Cable may be too long? I will measure the amount that sticks past the throttle connecter in the morning, can someone with a working CC help me out by measuring theirs for comparison?

tinklybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinklybear View Post
This is on my Father's 2001 WJ Laredo with a 4.0L. Current status: Light turns on and stays on until you press set, the light goes off soon after that and will not on again until you shut off and start the jeep.

I have gone more in-depth than any of the threads I have found, but still have not nailed down the problem. My current questions I am trying to answer are in bold below.

Steering wheel switches: Unplugged the C3 connector from the PCM, and used a multimeter to measure the switch resistances between Pin 32 of the connector and ground. Cannot find what proper numbers are for this (not listed in FSM for WJs), but I think it's good all the numbers are different and non-0
Results:
[*]On/Off 459 Ohms[*]Set: 4300 Ohms[*]Res/Accel 15,400 Ohms[*]Cancel: 1,220 Ohms[*]Coast 2,920 Ohms

Brake pedal Switch: At C3 connector pins 11 and 24, I verified resistance when brake pedal is pressed (I think 20kOhm) and ~0 when pedal is not pressed.

Vacuum Lines: Vacuum lines appear to be in good condition. After not running the car for a few hours, there was still vacuum in the hoses when I removed the CC servo for testing

CC Servo: Removed unit and pushed on the vacuum diaphragm(where the cable connects), moves smoothly, I am not sure how hard it to should be to compress but it seemed sort of reasonable and it rebounds on its own. Vacuum soleoid (center) moves with 5V. Other two solenoids (vent and dump) will not move with 5V but will move with 6V. Not sure what voltage they are supposed to move at, it is not listed anywhere. Reinstalled solenoid servo and tested it by applying a 9V DC signal to connector C3 Pin 11 and grounding to the frame and could hear multiple solenoids clicking in the CC unit. Tried applying a vacuum with a manual pump, then actuating the solenoids. There was a little tension of the cable, but it quickly lost the vacuum I built with the pump so it relaxed. Does this mean that my solenoid unit is leaking and needs replaced?

Cable: Cable is connected but seems to have a significant amount of slack in it. Tested by placing a camera and flash light under the hood while driving. There appeared to be tension in the cable for a brief moment when pressing the set button, but it quickly slackened, I will try to post the video tomorrow. Cable may be too long? I will measure the amount that sticks past the throttle connecter in the morning, can someone with a working CC help me out by measuring theirs for comparison?
Check all your vacuum lines. Mine was doing the exact same thing until I found a split in the line on the passenger side under the battery.

I know I still have another bad line some where as it will cancel its self out if I'm setting it at 60MPH or faster.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

+1 on above. It's so cheap to just go get some vacuum hose and replace all of it especially the part that runs under the battery tray and behind the headlight. I think I spent $6 on it.
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
tinklybear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK I will physically check all of the lines, but they did seem to hold vacuum well when applied with a vacuum pump
tinklybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.