WJ Clock Spring Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Clock Spring Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

WJ Clock Spring Replacement

I used search and couldnt find a good thread for DIY clockspring replacement.
Anyone got one?

thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Remove the airbag.
Remove the steering wheel.
Replace the clockspring.

Reverse order for reassembly.

I did this a while ago, but didn't get my writeup done yet. I'll try to find my pics.
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Post deleted.

WTF's up with the forum? White screen after posting? Sumthin's fubared.
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

any special tools required? is it fairly easy?
Unread 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Easy once the steering wheel is off. You need a couple of different jaw type gear pullers to get the wheel off. I used the arms off a small 6" gear puller and the center section of an 8" gear puller. This combo got the wheel off without too much drama.
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
rarmstrong0125

I trying to change the clock spring and am stuck at removing the wheel. I tried a wheel puller that the lend out at auto parts store and I can't get it to budge. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. I took these steps:
- disconnect battery (and wait)
- remove airbag
- remove trim behind wheel
- loosen the nut in the center of the wheel, backed out but did not fully remove
- used wheel puller with arms that have cleats and slip under the 9 and 3 o'clock positions of the wheel.
- tighten, tighten, --- slips OFF!

Can anyone help?!?
thanks,
Richard
rarmstrong0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
rarmstrong0125

thanks for the advice. Is there a particular one that you know works? I just tried a gear-puller (2 jawed) and did not have a lot of luck with that one either.
rarmstrong0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

rarmstrong would you mind taking some pictures and such as your doing this.... it would be most appreciated. Also why are you replacing your clock spring what symptoms does your wj have?
Unread 11-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarmstrong0125 View Post
thanks for the advice. Is there a particular one that you know works? I just tried a gear-puller (2 jawed) and did not have a lot of luck with that one either.
Yes I went back and forth to auto zone several times till I found the right one. When used as a 2 jaw puller, place the jaws in the notches (see the crappy black circles in pic below)

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

Last edited by QuadraTokn; 11-19-2008 at 12:58 PM..
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Vanquish

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
The only puller that works to get the steering wheel of is a 3 jaw puller. trust me.
The OEM steering wheel was designed to be pulled with a 2-jaw puller. There are recesses in the wheel for a two jaw puller to catch and pop the wheel off. Check your FSM if you have one!

The puller needs to have the right reach and puller jaws, maybe thats where some of you are running into problems. I used a Sears Craftsman two jaw puller and it worked fine. Make sure where you pull the wheel the jaws are seated properly and don't let the puller twist as you tighten it down to pop the wheel.
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
The OEM steering wheel was designed to be pulled with a 2-jaw puller. There are recesses in the wheel for a two jaw puller to catch and pop the wheel off. Check your FSM if you have one!

The puller needs to have the right reach and puller jaws, maybe thats where some of you are running into problems. I used a Sears Craftsman two jaw puller and it worked fine. Make sure where you pull the wheel the jaws are seated properly and don't let the puller twist as you tighten it down to pop the wheel.
Whoops!! You're right, i remembered wrong, I edited my posts...
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

thanks for that picture is there anyone with one of the actual clock spring and any specifications for installing it? also is it just wear and tear that it fails?
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
so that is not the right jaw puller?
Unread 11-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

aynoneeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Unread 11-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #15
Cebby
2000 WJ 

See post #2.

Here are pics: http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/0...e/clockspring/

I used the arms from a 6" 3-arm puller on an 8" 2-arm puller rig. That was the only combo I could find that would work to remove the wheel.

Last edited by Cebby; 11-23-2008 at 02:00 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.