Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WJ Chat Thread

52K views 933 replies 83 participants last post by  99sajeep 
#1 ·
I noticed a few of the other models have this. And with our WJ's we sometimes chat inside the "What did you do to your WJ today thread" but that thread is for showing what ya did that day, not general chit-chat.
I figured we could use a general thread just to chat in about of WJ's. Such as future MODs or opinions on something like products, problems or repairs. Or just shoot the proverbial **** about our beloved WJ's!!.....lol Anything goes that is WJ related, even discussing what adventures you like to go on with ya WJ. Anything and everything WJ! #wjlife
So let's see if this becomes helpful but yet fun as well!!

#2 ·
Has anyone tried the Flux Cree LED headlight bulbs before? Thinking about upgrading to them instead of HIDs.
They have some nice technology in them, such as a cool fan. They seem to be pretty bright as well.
They greatly range in price as well, $16.00 to $120.00

#6 ·
Has anyone used Raptor Bedliner kits? I was doing some reading on this product, and it was getting great reviews.
I want to spray my side panels with bedliner to give them some protection. Most of my imperfections on the body are dings and such on the panels kicked up by the tires on the road and trail. Also from careless people in parking lots.

I was also wondering if the gun that comes in their kit can be used to spray the inside of the wheel wells, the top would be the problem. Alot of professional sprayers don't like to be turned at any angle other than straight up n down.

#8 ·
Mildly, we have a local spot that has light to medium. Nothing too harsh. I haven't made it up to Rausch Creek yet! That's best we have here. She's got tree carnage on rear passenger well. Some of the wheeln in WV you can get going pretty quickly, that kicks up all kinds of stuff. That's also was what got me thinking about doing the coil inserts. Current suspension set up makes all kinds of noise once you get off-pavement. That's why I'm committed to going all-out on the suspension. Do it right the first time ya know!
But I want to do some serious wheeln and that makes my mind wander off about moving farther west.

#9 ·
If my jeep was at home, i would be doing something to it all the time. Istill need to do alot to it to get it where i want it . The good thing is, it is out west waiting for our next adventure, which is in two weeks. Going to bring it home after, so it can get a little love. It starts to become an addiction!

#10 ·
Starts?.....I think that ship has sailed for the both of us!....lol
I wrench on mine almost every weekend. Needed or not needed. And by "almost" I mean every once in awhile I don't get the wrenches out! I'm about halfway through my build. Still haven't been able to do the "good" stuff yet. But I had/have to stay focus and get her in tip-top shape. Erase the years n years of wear on her. I have the pleasure of doing the dreaded dash removal next weekend. Ugggh!
The only real project planned for over the winter, minus any repairs that may or may not pop up, is to finish up the bezel for the Android unit and replace all the speaker wire and wire up the amp. I may dive into the rear storage fabrication cause most of that will be done inside the garage.
Then as soon as the weather starts to break.....
- Clayton LA's with 4-link rear w/truss (should go to 6 but gonna stay with the 4.5 springs)
- Truss and sleeve front axle and coat with POR15
- Steal your Deegan's and mount 33 BFG M/Ts
- Sliders (either fab them or have Goliath fab what I want)
- Trim all 4 wells (via @sdjpp thread on how he did his)
That will get me damn close to being finished. Well as close to "finish" as we get with our WJ's (there's always something)

Oh yea......and talk you into making me that front bumper......lol

#11 ·
I thought about starting a similar thread, but wasn't sure if it was going to be accepted lol.

I'm kinda at a crossroads with my WJ. It needs work, namely suspension, and I want to upgrade (3" IRO lift with the goods) it but at the same time, its closing in on 198000 miles. I have build plan in my head on what I want to do, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll be worth it on a such a high mileage Jeep.

I will say that reading these threads about upgrades and the WJotM is definitely giving me ideas

#12 ·
Everything can be repaired/replaced. What made it easy for me to put a ridiculously insane amount of money into mine was one.....I'm simply in love with mine, always have been. The WJ was ahead of it's time when it was designed. The curves and body lines are damn near flawless.
Wait....am I talking about a woman or my Jeep?....got distracted there for a second....lol
Second, when I bought mine the engine had just been replaced and had 19k miles on it. So that made restoring everything else a much easier decision.

I've also always have been a firm believer in "value is in the eyes of the beholder"

I thought about starting a similar thread, but wasn't sure if it was going to be accepted lol.

I'm kinda at a crossroads with my WJ. It needs work, namely suspension, and I want to upgrade (3" IRO lift with the goods) it but at the same time, its closing in on 198000 miles. I have build plan in my head on what I want to do, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll be worth it on a such a high mileage Jeep.

I will say that reading these threads about upgrades and the WJotM is definitely giving me ideas

#23 ·
What lift and how high are questions that need more info. It depends on what kind of wheeln you do.
Most will tell you to stay under 4 inches with a rzeppa cv.
IronRock and Clayton (more expensive but well worth it) are more or less the go-to companies for lifts on the WJ.
There are Zone Offroad and Rough Country for more economical kits. But I'm a firm believer in......
"you get what you pay for"

#25 ·
Been living with it ever since i put lift on . (2yrs). Use to be worse at 6.5 but still driveable. Its the low pinion 30 that gives very little options. Looking for JK Rubicon 44s front and rear w/ 4:10s and electric lockers.:bacon:

#24 ·
Ramblings from 71 yrs old desert rat

Luckily I live only 2 hrs away from Mojave Desert & Panamint Valley, also King of the Hammers. But I degress ... Hey! I'm old. Have been pounding gears on dirt bikes for 60 yrs and a Yoda SR5 crawler + Land Rover Disco for a few yrs. The Disco was such a pos had to off it and luckily found a 99 Cherokee Ltd-cherry to the bone (except for ac, dw, brakes, misc ez fixables). What an incredible difference, the Disco being fragile, unreliable, expensive, etc and the Cherokee being rock solid, more luxurious and more capable with a huge aftermarket. So in running around the desert find the Cherokee is unstoppable on nasty hill climbs (stock!) except for the break overs and boulders. Now the decision ... Build up an really really clean stocker that has never been thrashed or ??? Oops! Forgot still got too many bikes that need thrashings ... And a perfectly reliable Yoda crawler. Called Kolak after browsing the lift threads and went with new 2" coils, new arms etc. Will get sliders & under armor later, so should still be fine ride into the dez and with occasional beatings. Nice to have choices for your daily thrashings and I realize that many folks have to make compromises in that their vehicles will have to double or triple duty. Have to compliment this forum as a really valuable tool in refining decisions and should be required reading for all Jeep owners.

#26 ·
:wave:

I'm OK with this floating around here in the WJ section since we all "know" each other and sometimes have something we want to talk about that doesn't really fit the tech stuff. Heck, I've been guilty of posting nonsense in the "What did you do..." thread (cue doughnut discussion) because I "know" many of you but there's nowhere else for it.

That being said, if this gets wild or out of hand, I'll close it down quick!

Also, let's keep the chit chat in just this thread. If I see any other threads start, I'll merge them. This IS a tech section, after all...

:cheers2:

#30 ·
Wow! Long road trip!! The drone should give some nice photos. Be really cool if you could just launch that bad boy from the roof as you were driving, get birds-eye of driving down the road!.....lol
Let us know how the Dubya-J holds up!

#31 ·
Does anyone happen to know what size bolts are used for the tow hooks? My WJ didn't come with factory hooks and, while I have yet needed them, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Also, can they be removed with the bumper still on?

#32 ·
Do you already have a set of hooks for it? The reason I ask that is cause mine will be coming off.

The bolts are M10x1.50x32mm (grade 10.9) hex head bolts with washers (6)
But there is also a tapping plate that goes above the frame that 2 of the bolts go through. One for each side. Then the 3rd bolt uses a U-Nut (M-10x1.5)

Does anyone happen to know what size bolts are used for the tow hooks? My WJ didn't come with factory hooks and, while I have yet needed them, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Also, can they be removed with the bumper still on?

#33 ·
Ghost...I have the Phantom 4 Pro drone...I can set it to follow the truck at a specific altitude and it will follow and film in 4k UHD at 60fps....I can even stream it live to facebook!!

I am going to try and shoot as much cool footage as possible. I can sell much of it as 'stock' footage for movies and commercials and such.
I am almost ready to take my Part 107 test so I can launch my commercial drone business.

#37 ·
WoW!!! That's uber cool!! I knew they were getting pretty good, but dang!!
You and @ChrisHager are gonna have me in that Intraweb later spending some money!!.....lol
Now I want one!!!!!!

#34 ·
A friend of mine has a drone that will follow the controller around. He brought it over and flew it around a bit. It's impressive what these things can do, and for a reasonable price at that!

#47 ·
How much extra clearance doors that actually give you...I'm guessing it's just a better approach angle as the diff is still going to be the lowest point. Scarey looking spring curvature you have there...not sure I could live with that!

#56 ·
The OTK flip gives you a lot of extra clearance where you need it, especially because you get that steering stabilizer out of the way. The SS is the lowest hanging point of things that like to get smashed. Your diff can take the abuse if you nicely bounce it on rocks, the SS and tie rod can't. About the springs, I trussed my dana tirdy, and my measurements for the bump stop allowed for max up travel as you can see. I've got to go back and design a better system, I'm thinking the jounce shock, maybe to replace the factory bump stop, or to put in the coil. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-25710/overview/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.