WJ brake upgrades? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ brake upgrades?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
sdpbob
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch
The WJ stops real well for a fairly heavy tank. If you feel like the brakes are inadequate with 32-33 in tires or smaller, you need to go thru the system and fix it. If you want to experience "bad" brakes, go drive a 88-98 GM truck with anything more than stock tires, or over a few thousand miles.. !
I had a 94 gmc on 35s with 208k on it and let me tell you stopping in my wj is a whole hell of a lot easier than that big ***** lol

Future Mods
3" IRO w/ quick disconnects, 265/75/R16, Fender Trim
sdpbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
The WJ stops real well for a fairly heavy tank.
If you feel like the brakes are inadequate with 32-33 in tires or smaller, you need to go thru the system and fix it.

If you want to experience "bad" brakes, go drive a 88-98 GM truck with anything more than stock tires, or over a few thousand miles.. !
Man that is the truth. I have a 98 Suburban 1500 4WD that is my tow rig. That's a lot of truck for 1/2 ton brakes as it is, and those brakes are just not great. It's got 165K on it, but even with new calipers, pads, rotors..... It's just marginal.

My trailer has brakes on both axles and I bought that brand new, so she stops pretty well towing though.

Pete
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
xman2yman
2002 WJ 

How about any upgrades using a newer wk or wk2 brakes put into the wj? I know with my 350z a popular upgrade for 1200-1400 is the akebono sport brakes from the 370z sport package which with an adapter bolted right up and gave a much much better braking performance and was half the cost of those BBK. Has any one done that?
xman2yman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
reneveah
2003 WJ 

What year WJs have the akebono breaks?
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
palric

2001 JGC 4.7 with stillen rotors and pads (Kolak)

pretty good once you step into them

still lousy performance at tip in

maybe needs a new booster?

checked into 4-6 piston calipers they were over $3000
palric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

What about upgrading to braided flex lines? I did that on my wife's Nissan Maxima and my old Infiniti G20 and it was a huge improvement on pedal feel.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
palric

I tried braided line on other vehicles. Made for a firmer pedal that I did not like in commute traffic

but who knows? it might help on the Jeep

I used to do Camaro and firebird projects. There were a ton of brake upgrades available if you were willing to mod the caliper bracket for larger rotor and bigger caliper. Have seen none of this in Jeep world.
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by palric View Post
I tried braided line on other vehicles. Made for a firmer pedal that I did not like in commute traffic

but who knows? it might help on the Jeep

I used to do Camaro and firebird projects. There were a ton of brake upgrades available if you were willing to mod the caliper bracket for larger rotor and bigger caliper. Have seen none of this in Jeep world.
WJ brakes are a popular upgrade for other Jeeps that have a single piston caliper (TJ, XJ, ZJ, etc.)

Not many people are dissatisfied with WJ brakes.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

I am happy with the WJ brakes other than the pedal is a bit soft...
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
palric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
WJ brakes are a popular upgrade for other Jeeps that have a single piston caliper (TJ, XJ, ZJ, etc.)

Not surprised. Like I said once you step into it my brakes (in my case Stillen) work really well the only upgrade being drilled rotors and hipo pads.

I don't like the tip-in or light application performance IMO it should be much better given the quality of application under medium or heavy braking. IMO it is not predictably linear in progression. The result is too much pedal travel which braided lines could do a lot to help.

In my last project my front brakes went from 10.5 inch to 12.5 inch rotors and one piston to 4 pistons all for under $1000. This amounted to a 72% increase in swept area, included use of hi performance pads and the end of brake fade. It included a pretty simple mod to the spindle and a new bracket to mount the caliper to. I have not found similar upgrades (thru internet search) for Jeep WJ -- do you know of any?
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #26
PapaPump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

I am dissatisfied with my WJ brakes.

Stock WJ...they seem to work great on the road, but fade quickly on steep forest service and logging roads. I was thinking that if I could find a good upgrade for my WJ, I would move the WJ brakes over to my XJ.

It seems that when I first purchased my WJ in 2012, there was still a kit available from Brembo at Tire Rack, but I'm seeing nothing now. Does anyone out there know anything about this kit or other comparable kits?

I am okay with up to about $1500. If I can spend thousands on putting big tires on it and making it accelerate faster, I don't see why spending thousands also on improving braking should be a problem.
PapaPump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
xmonger
2003 WJ 

Refresh what you got there...new quality pads + rotors + front akebono calipers (if you have Teves), lube all slides, flush the brake fluid, and re-bleed.

If you do all that and still have issues, check your master cylinder...these Jeeps stop very well when maintained.
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #28
Kolak
Vendor

Here's the ultimate kit to blow lots of money on lol:

http://www.stillen.com/products/brak...e-kits-100207/

I'm sure I could give you a great deal on that kit but it's profound overkill.

PM me your email address and I'll send you all the information about the stock diameter Stillen rotors and pads. You will be very happy with the performance improvement, AND I have them on special right now too

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaPump View Post
I am dissatisfied with my WJ brakes.

Stock WJ...they seem to work great on the road, but fade quickly on steep forest service and logging roads. I was thinking that if I could find a good upgrade for my WJ, I would move the WJ brakes over to my XJ.

It seems that when I first purchased my WJ in 2012, there was still a kit available from Brembo at Tire Rack, but I'm seeing nothing now. Does anyone out there know anything about this kit or other comparable kits?

I am okay with up to about $1500. If I can spend thousands on putting big tires on it and making it accelerate faster, I don't see why spending thousands also on improving braking should be a problem.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.