WJ brake drag/sticky calipers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
TheTank39

Garage
WJ brake drag/sticky calipers

Hey guys, I'm new to jeep forum but I've been a long time reader and have been lurking on wrangler forum for a few years. My other vehicle is a 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0 auto 2wd. We got it and after we took long drives we would smell burning brakes and the Jeep would start pull pretty hard right. Almost like a lane change on the highway. So we constantly have to fight it. I researched and saw we had the defective teves style brakes. So I changed everything over to the akebono style as well as a few other things. New pads, rotors, calipers, guide pins, and new flexible brake lines. I also flushed the brake system with new fluid. The thing still pulls right and we still smell the burning smell. Granted it takes longer trips and the smell is less potent but it is still there. It also is pulling right all the time now. Could I have gotten a defective caliper? I'm lost and any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

First, figure out which wheel the smell is coming from. You can tell right away when you're closest to the one that is overheated. The smell will be nauseating, plus you can feel the heat coming off the rotor/wheel. You can also quickly check the temp of each rotor with a cheap non-contact IR thermometer. It could be that a rear caliper is the one that's sticking, so replacing the front parts wouldn't help one bit.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 PM
steve_80
2000 WJ 

Garage
what brand rotors/pads?

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
TheTank39

Garage
The smell had never come from the rear. We've smelt all four corners and it is definitely coming from both front wheel wells, but more so the passenger side. They also get pretty hot. You can feel the heat radiating from them. Touched them once, won't ever do that again lol. They even have a multicolored glaze on the rotors and can have a little smoke coming from them too sometimes. The glaze and smoke happened more often and more smoke was produced before I replaced stuff. Now it seldom occurs and there is much less smoke. Sometimes we can even smell it coming from the engine bay. Inside of it and even outside.

The rotors and pads are from O'Reilly's. Brake best gold I think. All the parts came from O'Reilly's.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
TheTank39

Garage
Bump
post #6 of 14 Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I'm kind of stumped...
Wheel bearing getting hot?
To me if that was it, it should have gotten super hot just a few times and it would have started making awful noises, vibrating and potentially have already failed with terribly dangerous results. Normally, they just fail with creating vibration and uneven tire wear.
Speaking of which, how is the tire wear on that side?

So, I'm stumped as long as the wheel bearing is good, flush/bleed procedure was thorough and the parts swapped in were all good.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-20-2017, 12:18 PM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your sure it's brake small and not oil on exhaust manifolds from leaking valve covers?

If you park on a incline. Will it drift on its own in neutral?

When you smell the smell can you push the WJ?
post #8 of 14 Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
TheTank39

Garage
I'll go back over my work again and rebleed and reinstall the calipers and make sure everything is good. But now that you mention it both my front tires are wearing excessively on the outside portion of the tread. I Haven't noticed any noise like bearing failure. I've dealt with that before and I have none of those symptoms as far as I'm aware.

I'll have to double check for oil but I haven't noticed any leaks. I know the 4.0 is notorious for valve cover leaks. I haven't tried the downhill in neutral trick so I'll report back when I get results. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help! I'm stumped and have been for a few months.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 AM
teamodave
2004 WJ 

Did you install new caliper brackets? I bought my 04 WJ 4.0 used and the first time I did a brake job, the fronts were so out of whack that they had wore the caliper bracket down at an angle so bad that they needed replacing. Something worth checking out.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Quadratec
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I had this happen on my 2002 Limited. After replacing the passenger side caliper twice I decided it could be a clogged soft or hard line. I replaced all the lines from the ABS block back to the calipers. It was not a fun job as I purchased all new hardlines pre-bent from the dealership but you can definitely bend your own to accomplish the same results. I haven't had a problem since so I chalked it up to a clogged front pass hardline. It's best to do them all because most likely your rear lines are rusted out on the frame by the rear axle.

- Steve

Quadratec Web Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We Price Match,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a quote

Online Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday

|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratec
I had this happen on my 2002 Limited. After replacing the passenger side caliper twice I decided it could be a clogged soft or hard line. I replaced all the lines from the ABS block back to the calipers. It was not a fun job as I purchased all new hardlines pre-bent from the dealership but you can definitely bend your own to accomplish the same results. I haven't had a problem since so I chalked it up to a clogged front pass hardline. It's best to do them all because most likely your rear lines are rusted out on the frame by the rear axle. - Steve
I replaced my 04 rear line and drivers front with dealer prebent lines. Couldn't beat the price. In fact I bought another complete set as spares. Think I spent something like 36 dollars for all 3. Two or three years ago.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Quadratec
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I replaced my 04 rear line and drivers front with dealer prebent lines. Couldn't beat the price. In fact I bought another complete set as spares. Think I spent something like 36 dollars for all 3. Two or three years ago.

Completely agree, you could not argue the price. Once you get all the lines replaced and bled, good as new!

-Steve

Quadratec Web Team

We Price Match,
me for a quote

Online Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday

|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
TheTank39

Garage
So i finally figured it out! The pulling to the right was either bad tires or i need to bring the toe in a little bit. The outside tread of the fronts were wearing much faster than the rest of the tread. I rotated those tires to the rear for now and what do you know, no more pulling! She drives straight as can be. As for the smell, it basically is either a leaky valve cover or the ccv elbows on the valve cover. I had some serious and fresh blowby when i started snooping more and im thinking it was dripping and hitting the exhuast. I checked my oil too and it was a tad low. Nothing alarming but just more convincing evidence. So the plan is to clean and degrease the valve cover, the block, and anything else that got covered and to replace the valve cover gasket, the ccv elbows and get an alignment. Thanks for all the help guys!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Thumbs up.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.