WJ Axle Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ Axle Swap

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Crankcase
2001 WJ 

The shaft was too long.. Getting it shortened. blah

Crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
WXman
2001 WJ 

Got the rear 44A swapped into mine over the weekend. Zero problems or modifications needed. My 4.0/242 rear shaft bolted right up perfectly. WORST part of the job hands down is the parking brake. Yet another idiotic, stupid, terrible idea used on the WJ only. Somebody had to actually spend time thinking about that to design such a stupid setup. Sad.

Anyway, tackling the front this week. Something tells me that the rear went so well the front will be a nightmare.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Crankcase
2001 WJ 

I'm surprised your shaft fit. Mine was too long by 1.5"
Crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
jeepfvr

Rear parking brake is easy if you undo the adjusters inside under the back seat.
jeepfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #20
WXman
2001 WJ 

That's not the hard part. The hard part is the RETARDED way they designed the springs and clips. You have to be an octopus with a flashlight strapped to your head to even have a chance at it. Is there some special WJ only tool for this?
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #21
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundblad View Post
How hard was it to reconnect the parking brake cables?
Sorry I missed your question. It's been about a year since I replaced both axles, so the memory isn't crystal clear but I do remember removing the center console and having to lift up the carper under the rear seat to gain access to the cables and the rubber grommets in the body that seal off water from getting into the floor.

I did the entire axle swapping job by myself, I recall it was a bit of a PIA to fish the cables through the floor and under the carpet, but it's nothing that can't be accomplished with a bit of patience. If your rear calipers work you could probably just remove them from the old axle and slide everything out of the way and re-install them on to the 'new' axle, this would save the labor of dealing with the cables and hydraulic lines.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
jeepfvr

I release the tension on the cable under the back seat then disconnected from the tensioner inside the rear backing plate. Disconnect all the brackets from the old axle. Reattach to the new axle in reverse order.
jeepfvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.