WJ auto transmission starting in 2nd gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ auto transmission starting in 2nd gear

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
BeepBeepJeep777
2004 WJ 

WJ auto transmission starting in 2nd gear

I thought my transmission was slipping but then I realized that its starting in 2nd gear unless I put the shifter down to 1st to start out. What gives?

I know I need a transmission fluid change. Will this help the problem or maybe a bad sensor?

Help please.

Thanks!

BeepBeepJeep777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
SoBStevens
2002 WJ 

Change the fluid and the filters if its needed to be done start there

2002 WJ- Gone but not forgotten.
SoBStevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

be careful with fluid change, if it has not been done regularly it may be the demise of your trans.
dtrkyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
kfxnando
2001 WJ 

on my 4.7 V8,was having issues also, went into limp mode, P0700, bad changes from second to third

changed fluid and both filters
and since then, no more limp mode, no more codes, second to third issue much better, believe my box might of had the wrong fluid in when I bought it, so need to do another just fluid change to dilute what was in there

so yes go ahead and start with a fluid and filter change, nothing to loose

good luck

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/kfxnando/library/?sort=3&page=1
kfxnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
ibreb3

Any check engine light? Mine did that once and threw a p1752 code (I think that was the code) I cleared it and it hasn't done it since but I'm going to change the governor pressure sensor and solenoid when I do my filter and fluid cause with research I found these are the most common culprits of this scenario. But I would check any codes first before you just throw money at it.
ibreb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
RyanSBenson
2001 WJ 

X2 on what ibreb3 said. I had a similar issue. Cant remember if it was the sensor or the solenoid because I ended up having the dealer do that change for me. Fixed it right up though.
RyanSBenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
jtmizzell
2001 WJ 

same problem. i have no check engine light on. what do i need to do to fix this?? already changed filter and fluid. someone help !!
jtmizzell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
SoBStevens
2002 WJ 

Change the solenoid then mang

2002 WJ- Gone but not forgotten.
SoBStevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.