wj aluminum rad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj aluminum rad

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
xrattler
2000 WJ 

Wj wj aluminum rad

Ok here goes. Overheating wj 2000 287 cu.in. v-8. Tis ok on the freeway
but low speeds or 4wd it really starts to cook and around town and
small 1/4 mile (hills). Has anyone know or have experience in this field
with all aluminum radiators. I've found that some are wider than others,
so the real question here is about the condenser. Will these aluminum
rads. fit without to much shoehorning?

xrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldnt be looking at the radiator man. if its working on the freeway then that means your rad is working. I would look at the fan relays or the fan motor itself and make sure its kicking on.

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellows45
I wouldnt be looking at the radiator man. if its working on the freeway then that means your rad is working. I would look at the fan relays or the fan motor itself and make sure its kicking on.
Doesn't he also have a viscous fan too? That could be bad also. And one that should be working all the time.

But yes electric fan if installed should kick on and cool down.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post

Doesn't he also have a viscous fan too? That could be bad also. And one that should be working all the time.

But yes electric fan if installed should kick on and cool down.
Even if the viscous fan didn't work he still shouldn't overheat. The early 4.7L's don't use the power steering for the fan, so I agree with above. Check your electric fan and relay.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918
Even if the viscous fan didn't work he still shouldn't overheat. The early 4.7L's don't use the power steering for the fan, so I agree with above. Check your electric fan and relay.
And viscious fan.

I thought they only came with the electric fan if it had the tow package. He may not even have one.
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

All come with the electric fans. The tow package would've included the clutch fan in a WJ like mine.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918
All come with the electric fans. The tow package would've included the clutch fan in a WJ like mine.
Ok I thought it was the other way around.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Do this...when it starts to over heat on the highway, run the heat full blast. windows down so you don't fry. If it keeps the temp low, it is a radiator issue. If not, it's a water pump issue. Or it could be failing to hold pressure and the cap is leaking...

My bet is running the heat will solve it and you need a radiator. Aluminum ones are rare like frog hair. An OEM spec will do the trick for another 4 years.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Griffin Rad FTW
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
xrattler
2000 WJ 

my own reply

My V-8 does not get hot on the freeway.
It gets cooking at very low speeds,city driving, and going up small
inclines or hills.It does have the factory tow package, if you want
to call it that.I just installed a Hayden clutch fan last month. The electric
fan does come on, but I do not know how to tell if it is running on low
speed or high speed, but my way of thinking is that these vehicles
should not need secondary fans.That just tells me that they are way
under cooled. These vehicles need a lot more cooling, like another
gallon or more. I know these are stuffed under the hood, but the engineers
should know better than that. I would get into the wife's '07 and the way
they cobbled it up, but I would have to write a short novel on it.
This is about aluminum rads. remind you.
Thank you all, more input please.
xrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.