WJ and 8.8 Will ZJ brackets work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ and 8.8 Will ZJ brackets work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

WJ and 8.8 Will ZJ brackets work?

I understand that you have to make a center mount for the upper control arm for a WJ swap, and I have seen plans for this. My Question is whether the weld on mounts for the lower control arms and for the springs are the same for the WJ and the ZJ. If so I could just by the ZJ kit and forgo the upper control arms. This is just Hypothetical at this time because I am actually installing a D44 in the WJ, but I just ran across a heck of a deal on an 8.8 and who knows what the future holds.

Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The only reason (IMO) to think about swapping the 8.8 for the 44a would be if you wanted a selectable locker. Trussed, the 44a is similar in strength to the 8.8, plus it bolts right in...

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It would be a waste to buy a ZJ kit and then not use all the pieces.

I would just buy lower arm brackets, shock brackets, and coil buckets.

Those brackets are all universal enough that you could make practically anything work.

Ballistic Fabrication has brackets for pretty good prices.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ View Post
The only reason (IMO) to think about swapping the 8.8 for the 44a would be if you wanted a selectable locker. Trussed, the 44a is similar in strength to the 8.8, plus it bolts right in...
I am not planning a swap at this point, but I have an 8.8 headed for my XJ and got another 8.8 for almost nothing. The 44 cost me $500 and I had to spend $80 on gas to get it. Things are not as cheap or available in my area as elsewhere and so we sometimes have to look at options that only make sense here. I like the 8.8 because there are a million of them and parts are easy to obtain. Something about the name Jeep adds $100 to the price around here.
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The springs are different.

I don't know anyone that's put an 8.8 in a wj. I don't think they're wide enough to properly space the springs and still use the brakes and wheels with more than 2" bs.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Would depend on which 8.8 you used, the Explorer would need spacers etc but the F150 and Mustang and LTD rears are 65 inches so you would have plenty of axle and would maybe have to adjust with backspace on wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.