wj 4.7 helppppppp - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wj 4.7 helppppppp

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #16
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If it starts only when the throttle is open, then it's not getting enough air when the throttle is closed. Most likely the PCM needs to relearn the proper setting of the IAC valve. Start it, with the throttle open, then vary the engine speed while feathering the throttle so that the engine does not stop. This works best if you just drive it around the neighborhood for a while.

Unread 08-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
jspidle
2003 WJ 

SuperDragPack what trick did you use to change out a Crank Pos Sensor on a 4.7 in 5 minutes? That d*mn thing has to be in the worst place possible to reach to me.

Thanks, Jeff
Unread 08-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspidle View Post
SuperDragPack what trick did you use to change out a Crank Pos Sensor on a 4.7 in 5 minutes? That d*mn thing has to be in the worst place possible to reach to me.

Thanks, Jeff
Pull the starter.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
SuperDragpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspidle View Post

Thanks, Jeff
Exactly what has been said.

Disconnect the battery FIRST. Then two 15mm bolts hold on the starter. Then move it away slightly.

Once that is out of the way the bolt holding the sensor is right there in front of you. Undo it and work (gently) the sensor out. Don't pry it too much, but use gentle twisting motions.

Every CPS I have done so far on these V8's have come out without a fuss, but I hear of some having a right pain getting that sensor out. Depends on many factors sadly.
SuperDragpack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
transguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
If it starts only when the throttle is open, then it's not getting enough air when the throttle is closed. Most likely the PCM needs to relearn the proper setting of the IAC valve. Start it, with the throttle open, then vary the engine speed while feathering the throttle so that the engine does not stop. This works best if you just drive it around the neighborhood for a while.
it will stall out eventually so its hard to kerp driving! fml
transguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
transguy1

back again I had the day off today so I decided to do some more work on the jeep.. let it run for a lil to see if it will stay idling . come to find out there is coolant and oil mixed running out the intake manifold and into the throttle body?? bad headgasket? cracked head? where do u guys think I should go from here .. (just replaced the head gasket on both side) errrrrr! help
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
srwells37
2001 WJ 

Did you torque the head bolts right ?
srwells37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
transguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwells37 View Post
Did you torque the head bolts right ?
yes exactly how dealer said I don't know why im getting coolant and oil out of the manifold?? I pulled it off to look for signs of cracking but I don't see anything ..
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
srwells37
2001 WJ 

Head could be warped
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
transguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwells37 View Post
Head could be warped
and that would cause to leak out of intake mani?
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
srwells37
2001 WJ 

If its warped in the right spot it could..
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
srwells37
2001 WJ 

also double check your intake manifold gaskets..Make sure they are good
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
transguy1

so I pulled the head off and can see where the oil coolant built up is but cannot identify and noticeable marks on the gasket, block, head etc.. anything I should look for before I take the head to a shop .. im real broke and want to identify the problem as much as I can without a machine shop! intake mani gaskets are good no tears or anything..
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #29
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

How is oil running into the throttle body? There's only air and fuel up there. And for that matter, there's no lubrication at the intake manifold. What is the evidence that coolant and oil are leaking? What does your crank case oil look like (on the dipstick)?
akoutdoors1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

As for testing the heads, that's machine shop territory. DO NOT put heads back on until you have them pressure tested/magnafluxed/dye checked.
akoutdoors1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.