WJ 4.7 - hard starts when the engine is warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ 4.7 - hard starts when the engine is warm

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 07-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
omribe

Question WJ 4.7 - hard starts when the engine is warm

I'm having hard time starting the engine when it's warm. It starts easily when the agent is cold (First morning start) and when it's hot.
But, when I let it seat for couple of hours, it starts only after couple of seconds of turning the starter. When it starts, it struggles to rev for one or two seconds, then it stabilizes on the idle RPM and runs fine. If you put your foot on the gas gently in the correct timing, it starts quicker.
I'm not an expert, but to me it sounds like the engine is flooded.

I did some reading on similar problems, here's what I checked so far:
1. There are no error codes (By turning the ignition switch on three times).
2. Priming the engine by turning the ignition switch on and off before attempting to start doesn't help.
3. Gas mileage is 11.5 MPG. Almost of the drivers are 5-10 miles long, so I think it's not usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

omribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Clean your throttle body.

Do you have access to a scanner that reads live data? If so with a engine that's sat overnight cold. Look at what the engine temp and the throttle body temp are.

Do this by just putting ignition to on. No starting.

They both should be within 5 degrees of each other and close to what the temp is where ever your jeep is sitting.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
omribe

Thanks for the reply.

I cleaned the throttle body (It was pretty dirty, the jeep has 80k miles on it). But, it didn't help at all.

I don't have access to a scanner.
You're referring to the OBD2 scanner, right?
I thought about ordering a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and connect it to my Android phone. Will that work and give me the required readings?

Is there anything else I can try until I get access to a scanner?
omribe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.