WJ 3" Lift - Front Drive Shaft - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Downwards
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Romulus
Posts: 88
Garage
Question WJ 3" Lift - Front Drive Shaft

Ok, I know this has been touched on a bunch of times, but I've been searching, and searching, and I'm getting mixed answers, so here we go.

I've started talking to Kolak about a 3" lift I've been wanting to do to my stock '04 WJ, with the 4.0L, QuadraTracII, and 100K miles. It sounded good, but I'm unsure about the front drive shaft. It has U-Joint on the axle side, and the rezeppa/cv on the TC side(rear shaft has U-Joints on both ends FYI). Was considering a TC drop(cheap), but I've read that would actually be worse for the front shaft, by increasing that angle. I've seen that at 3" lift, I'd be fine with my current front drive shaft, Kolak thinks I'll be fine, but then I see cardan shafts needed for anything over 2", guys blowing out front CV drive shafts after lifting, even at 2", etc.,

I need new tires and shock, so the plan was to get the lift, new wheels, and tires. Not having spend the money on a new drive shaft would be nice, but if I leave the CV shaft in, and it ends up going, kinda seems like a waste of a drive shaft.. I dunno..

I'm very tired, I have to get up for work tomorrow morning, haven't eaten in 12 hours, kinda at a loss, tired of sitting at this damn computer..

So, if anyone has any wisdom they would be willing bestow upon me, information or experiences, please do.

Downwards is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 AM
wjjeep19
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwards View Post
Ok, I know this has been touched on a bunch of times, but I've been searching, and searching, and I'm getting mixed answers, so here we go.

I've started talking to Kolak about a 3" lift I've been wanting to do to my stock '04 WJ, with the 4.0L, QuadraTracII, and 100K miles. It sounded good, but I'm unsure about the front drive shaft. It has U-Joint on the axle side, and the rezeppa/cv on the TC side(rear shaft has U-Joints on both ends FYI). Was considering a TC drop(cheap), but I've read that would actually be worse for the front shaft, by increasing that angle. I've seen that at 3" lift, I'd be fine with my current front drive shaft, Kolak thinks I'll be fine, but then I see cardan shafts needed for anything over 2", guys blowing out front CV drive shafts after lifting, even at 2", etc.,

I need new tires and shock, so the plan was to get the lift, new wheels, and tires. Not having spend the money on a new drive shaft would be nice, but if I leave the CV shaft in, and it ends up going, kinda seems like a waste of a drive shaft.. I dunno..

I'm very tired, I have to get up for work tomorrow morning, haven't eaten in 12 hours, kinda at a loss, tired of sitting at this damn computer..

So, if anyone has any wisdom they would be willing bestow upon me, information or experiences, please do.
My fixed yoke single u joint -> Rezeppa driveshaft lasted 2 years after lifting to 2.5 inch lift.

3" lift will also require longer rear sway bar links and adjustable trackbar along with your new shocks and lift.

My Rezeppa joint finally crapped out on me three weeks ago. Got a V8 WJ double cardan driveshaft out of a 2004 WJ with the transfer case output yoke for $53 total. Took it to a driveline shop which inspected the driveshaft and said the double cardan ujoints were good so I kept those and replaced the single u joint up front with a Spicer non-greasable 1310 u joint. Balancing took 9 grams. Total for me all that was $100. Got it installed and it has been smooth.

Id say crawl under your jeep with a flash light and inspect the boot. Inspect the driveshaft and if it shows signs that it's good I would personally run it until it breaks.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
wjjeep19 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Mattyjm
Senior Member
 
Mattyjm's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 979
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post

3" lift will also require longer rear sway bar links and adjustable trackbar along with your new shocks and lift.

Id say crawl under your jeep with a flash light and inspect the boot. Inspect the driveshaft and if it shows signs that it's good I would personally run it until it breaks.
I can also reiterate what this guy is saying. I'm not sure about the rear sway bar links, but you'll definitely need an adjustable trac bar in the front the center your axle after or during the three inch lift. Ask me how I know. I would NOT even consider the transfer case drop for a 3" lift. NO NEED WHATSOEVER! Again, ask me how I know. Your front driveshaft will be fine, but when your rzeppa joint finally fails at the T-case, do the easy-for-you upgrade to the double cardan. You have the advantage of not needing to replace the yoke at the axle end. That's the toughest thing about the double cardan conversion. I don't know that I'd "run it til it breaks", though. You'll know when that rzeppa is going bad. It'll click or clack and make noise. At that point, do the conversion to double cardan. I hope this helps you, buddy!

I looked over there <- one day and it said "Senior Member" and I was like...."Naaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm only 43!"
Mattyjm is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Mattyjm
Senior Member
 
Mattyjm's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 979
Garage
And, also, trust Nick(Kolak). His word is golden. He's in the business to sell you good stuff for your Jeep. So if he's telling you that you won't need to buy a drive shaft from him, that's probably good advice. I bought my DC front shaft from another forum member on here. The double cardan joints were in good shape, so I didn't replace them. I did replace the U-joint at the front axle, though. It was just too easy to do while the shaft was out.

Run your front shaft until the CV joint at the T-case goes bad. Or, perhaps you could shop for a double cardan and have it on hand for the day you do need to replace it.

I looked over there <- one day and it said "Senior Member" and I was like...."Naaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm only 43!"
Mattyjm is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM
wjjeep19
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
And, also, trust Nick(Kolak). His word is golden. He's in the business to sell you good stuff for your Jeep. So if he's telling you that you won't need to buy a drive shaft from him, that's probably good advice. I bought my DC front shaft from another forum member on here. The double cardan joints were in good shape, so I didn't replace them. I did replace the U-joint at the front axle, though. It was just too easy to do while the shaft was out.

Run your front shaft until the CV joint at the T-case goes bad. Or, perhaps you could shop for a double cardan and have it on hand for the day you do need to replace it.
Why pay $400 for an IRO shaft which uses greasable SPICER 1310 joints when you can buy a V8 WJ double cardan driveshaft from a Pick N Pull for less than 1/4 the cost and choose which ujoints you want (Spicer non-greasable vs greasable).

The $400 is absolutely absurd. The JunkYard driveshaft will also run cheaper than TW or Carolina driveline.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
wjjeep19 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Mattyjm
Senior Member
 
Mattyjm's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 979
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
Why pay $400 for an IRO shaft which uses greasable SPICER 1310 joints when you can buy a V8 WJ double cardan driveshaft from a Pick N Pull for less than 1/4 the cost and choose which ujoints you want (Spicer non-greasable vs greasable).

The $400 is absolutely absurd. The JunkYard driveshaft will also run cheaper than TW or Carolina driveline.
This is also great advice. I couldn't find a DC front drive shaft within 50 miles of my home in any junk yard. I couldn't even find a used rzeppa/rzeppa shaft!! Not that I would have bought one anyway. Jeeps are popular around Butler, PA. (wonder why...lol) I had to resort to the classifieds on here and wound up with a DC shaft from WiCkEDude.

I looked over there <- one day and it said "Senior Member" and I was like...."Naaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm only 43!"
Mattyjm is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM
99WJ539918
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vernon
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
I had to resort to the classifieds on here and wound up with a DC shaft from WiCkEDude.
Ha, me, too.

Build Thread


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99WJ539918 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Downwards
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Romulus
Posts: 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ539918 View Post
Ha, me, too.
Thanx for the input everybody. When I do the lift, I'll just run the Rzeppa till it starts going, and then replace it with a Ujoint drive shaft. I pretty know what I'm gonna do now... except I'm still deciding on what wheels to go with..
Downwards is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Downwards
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Romulus
Posts: 88
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwards View Post
Thanx for the input everybody. When I do the lift, I'll just run the Rzeppa till it starts going, and then replace it with a Ujoint drive shaft. I pretty know what I'm gonna do now... except I'm still deciding on what wheels to go with..
Thanx for the input everybody. When I do the lift, I'll just run the Rzeppa till it starts going, and then replace it with a Ujoint drive shaft. I pretty know what I'm gonna do now... except I'm still deciding on what wheels to go with..
Downwards is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 AM
wj_2000blk
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Alameda
Posts: 3
I think you should listen to what everyone on here seems to be saying but honestly those boots don't last long on the cv side of your driveshaft so be prepared to get a new driveshaft sooner rather than later. Also I just got my fuel Lethal 15x8 rims on ebay for $640 they look geogeous on my WJ!
wj_2000blk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome