Wj 247 to 242 t case swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wj 247 to 242 t case swap

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread Yesterday, 12:58 AM   #1
Vjeeps
2002 WJ 

Wj 247 to 242 t case swap

Hey all. I'm taking the 247 transfer case out of my 2002 V8 Wj and putting in a 242 transfer case out of a ZJ. Will I need a new front or rear drive shaft? And is there anything else I will need? Thanks in advanced!

Vjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:24 AM   #2
AsainWithJeep
2000 WJ 

Your best bet would have been to pick up both front and rear driveshafts of the WJ you got the tcase from... "Search" the Forum for 242 swap or 242 conversion... you'll find DOZENS of threads about this particular topic. Trust me. Do your research, you'll find everything you'll need. That's exactly what i did. I'm in the process of doing a 4.5" short-arm lift as well as a 242Hd conversion on my V8 WJ. All the info is out there man
AsainWithJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #3
AsainWithJeep
2000 WJ 

If you're lifting, you'll want a double-cardin style front driveshaft. If not, you should be fine, at stock height, with a double-repezza. Count the splines n the output shaft of the tcase, i know the 247 had a 27-spline output shaft. I do NOT know if the V8 ZJ's had 32 or 27 spline output shafts on their tcases. I know the I6 ZJ's had 27. So guys question the strength and reliability of an I6 tcase swapped into a V8. The thickness of an I6 tcase chain vs a V8 tcase chain is noticeable, very noticeable. Enough so that i ditched the idea of doing this exact same swap in my WJ and sourced a 242HD from a junk yard 2.5hrs away. I would advise "rebuilding" it too, before installing it. You'll want to check to see if there is any wear on any of the internals, chewed gears/teeth, and if the plastic pads on the shift forks are still intact. and run a magnet through the fluid to see if there are any shavings floating around (Tore my ZJ 242 apart that i was going to swap in, and all but one plastic pads was completely destroyed. There was so much rubbing on the internals of this tcase that the one fork is utterly useless.) there's a good bit you may want to look at really. I'd also suggest that, since you're going to be dropping the driveshafts anyway, install new u-joints on both front and rear driveshafts.
AsainWithJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:28 AM   #4
Vjeeps
2002 WJ 

How can I replace the U joints? If I'm not mistaken these drive shafts have non replaceable u joints.
Vjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:42 AM   #5
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjeeps View Post
How can I replace the U joints? If I'm not mistaken these drive shafts have non replaceable u joints.
You are mistaken, you can rebuild or replace all the u joints (or cv joints depending on which front driveshaft you have) on both the front and rear shafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.