WJ 2000 front end shake/wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > WJ 2000 front end shake/wobble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
chuma_1

WJ 2000 front end shake/wobble

Hi All,
I am experiencing a strange shake/wobble of the front end and wheels which forces the steering wheel to wobble aswell. This happens when I drive over bumps/ train tracks etc at medium to high speed, more so when the bumps are on a turn.

Is this a normal trait for this model or should I take it to the mechanic. I have only had the Jeep for 6 weeks.

Any advice is welcome

Chuma

chuma_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
b3conswj

Not normal. You didn't say how many miles on your Jeep so I'll assume it's a bunch.
Check the "track bar", "tie-rod ends", and shocks. One or more of those is probably the culprit.

Good luck,
SJ
b3conswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 03:54 AM   #3
chuma_1

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not technical when it comes to cars, so I guess I will have to get the dealer to check the things you mentioned next service. Unless of course you can post some instructions on what to look for and do.

It is a 2000 WJ Grand Laredo with 75000 kms (46500) miles btw.

Cheers,
Chuma
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
chuma_1

I have just found out (from another jeep site) that this problem is called "death wobble" and is very common in jeeps with a few miles on them. You have to check track bars, tie rods, steering stabilizer and get a wheel alignment.

I am surprised no one at this site has heard about "Death Wobble" as I have since seen it mentioned at three other Jeep sites.

Cheers

Chuma

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.