At wits end, could use some help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > At wits end, could use some help!

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
highoutput85

Wj At wits end, could use some help!

Ok so here's my problem, I have a 02 grand Cherokee h.o.4.7 with about 138,000 miles on it. I had a rough idle issue so I gave it a tune up (changed plugs, fuel/air filter, both upstream o2 sensors, cleaned throttle body , changed IAC and TPS sensors, oil change, pvc valve , fixed vaccum leaks. Took it out for a spin about 35 miles round trip. Mpgs shot up from about 14 to 22 . Going great until I come to a stop , rpms shoot down to about 300 /400 , wants to shut off but corrects itself and fluctuates but stays on. Take it back home and run a diagnostic on it Po175 and po172 and G-switch malfunction. After a few days later jeep dies on me after driving fine . Start it back up and sputters hard and dies, won't start anymore. Anybody have any ideas? Please and thank you in advance

highoutput85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
new2site
2002 WJ 

Do the key dance to see if any new codes show up on the odometer readout (on/off, on/off on > read odometer)
If you overlook those other codes as maybe an anomaly...it sounds like your CkPS is out. - p0320
On your 4.7 it's located right above your starter.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
highoutput85

I pulled out plugs and where a bit fouled , plugs only had about month and a half wear on them, is there a way to check the crank sensor?
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoutput85 View Post
I pulled out plugs and where a bit fouled , plugs only had about month and a half wear on them, is there a way to check the crank sensor?
Switch it out. What kind of plugs Did you use? The V8s are very sensitive to their plugs.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
car5car
2000 WJ 

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0175
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
highoutput85

I used autolite double platinums
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I believe the OEM are champion coppers. Try those and see what happens. The hard sputter issue I would look to the crank sensor.
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
highoutput85

Ok I will check it out this weekend, any input on the G- switch malfunction?
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I don't even know what the G switch is!?!
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
highoutput85

I've called 6 local dealerships and looked every online no solutions. Read about it saying it might be a abs acceleration sensor? Any ideas?
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
ADragg
2003 WJ 

It's probably not the plugs, but I would definitely replace them with new Chamion Coppers. They're what the 4.7 V8 likes. Do some searching if you want to confirm. It will probably like the cheap Coppers more, but again, that's probably not the actual problem. I'd do some searching and checking on this forum when replacing any part or doing any repair, really, cause the V8 is so finicky and particular about things. It's good to find out what's really recommended.
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
cde02ltd

I thought the high output 4.7 took platinum plugs?
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Those two codes mean your running too rich on both cylinder banks.

Why? Could be a few things. Without a scanner to read live data to verify the engine temp sensor is ok I'd wonder what your fuel pressure is.

It's getting too much fuel on both banks of cylinders. Since its both banks.....the only thing they have in common is the fuel pressure, engine sensors, air cleaner, and exhaust system.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
highoutput85

I replaced the factory o2 sensor (both upstream) to denso sensors , I was that the engine has problems reading them , is that true?
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoutput85
I replaced the factory o2 sensor (both upstream) to denso sensors , I was that the engine has problems reading them , is that true?
You used something other than Bosch. I'd trust them for now and look at why its getting extra fuel.

Fuel pressure

Restricted exhaust

A sensor is going bad and causing the PCM to chose the wrong fuel map. Then the O2 sensor sees a rich condition and the PCM trims back the fuel and when the LTFTs get to -20% fuel trim it gives the running rich codes.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.