Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

wiring guru's, need your help

3K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  curt93t/t 
#1 ·
Been fighting an electrical issue for the longest. I am tired of wondering if the car will start or not. If the car sits for more than a day the battery goes dead. I just got a test light and almost half of the fuses that I touch cause the light to come on. I'm thinking the only fuse that should be "hot" is for the radio. Also, does anyone have a diagram of what fuses go to what.

#34 ·
Okay, I'm stumped. I disconnected the connector's for the ignition and it was still reading high. Tried 12, 21, 28, 29, 32 and CB#1. All showed less than 2A. Hooked the ignition connectors to see if it would go back up and it didn't, it was around 2A. So either the thing is intermittent or this thing is cursed.
Funny thing is that with the leads hooked up there's a constant clicking sound from the fuse box. That is unless I unhook #8 fuse or #5 (radio AMP) and it stops, well with #5 (and #8 out) in it will click 3 or 4 times. Like I mentioned earlier, I have the dimmer switch turned off (and even disconnected the connector this time) and all the lights come on. I haven't seen the dome lights work in forever, but they are coming on now too.

#37 ·
Okay, I'm stumped. I disconnected the connector's for the ignition and it was still reading high. Tried 12, 21, 28, 29, 32 and CB#1. All showed less than 2A..
Did you try the fuses one at a time or all at once, and what do you mean by "all showed less then 2A"

#35 ·
If I disconnect the dimmer/turn signal switch the door and hatch lights come on about 10 seconds after I disconnect it. If I hook it back up with the dimmer turned off the lights turn off. The only way to get the dome light to come on is jumper the ground post and cable.

#36 ·
2A Are anyway to much, you will be looking for a 0.03-0.04A to be good,,,,,
About That ticking, above the fuses there Are several relays, start pulling one by one until you find the one making the sound,
Take it out,
Recheck draw,

#38 ·
Fuse #8 in the junction block is for all the interior lights and the Vic. Pull it then see what happens. Again, what year is this WJ, because what I am telling you is from an '04 manual. Should be the same but could be different for earlier years.

#40 ·
According to my book the low beam relay feeds fuses 14 and 15 in the junction block. Pull them one at a time and see if the clicking stops. 14 is for the left low beam and 15 is for the right. If it clicks with both the fuses out you might have a bad body control module as that is what controls the relay.

#41 ·
^^^Back to post 4,,,,
Thomahawk said:
No, You should expect to se a 30-60mA total draw, thats normal,
alarm, clock, radio, etc,,,,
Most of this is controled by the BCM, check on fuse for BCM (body Control modul), and maybe more, ex interior light,,,,
Now send me a million dollar thx ;)

#42 ·
You might have to recheck your battery voltage, and make sure its above 12.5V.
WJ's electronic tends to act up when voltage drops to low. With That drain voltage will drop over time.

#45 ·
Nope, bought it brand new in 2000, but thinking of driving it into a river! :brickwall After charging the battery last night to make sure it had a good charge I checked it again. Now the headlights don't try and come one and it only clicks for a few seconds and stops. Now the CD disc changer mechanism moves a couple of times. When it stops the draw goes down to around .08 amp. Going to call a couple of junk yards and see how much the BCM is going for. I doubt they will allow me to bring it back if it doesn't fix the problem as I plan on swapping it out in their parking lot.

I'm pretty sure the BCM (if that's what is clicking) isn't supposed to click when I do this check. I see the BCM monitors the lift gate. The overhead constantly says the lift gate is open. I pulled everything out and there is a burnt smell, more prevalent with the right side lock switch.

#46 ·
Check inside the rubber door boots for broken/shorted wiring. That can cause interior lighting problems and possibly keep the BCM awake.

#49 ·
After disconnecting the BCM and hooking it back up the drain went away. I was on vacation and didn't want the car sitting and the battery draining, so now that I'm back I'm going to have it sit for a couple of days and see how things go. I do know that the one blend door motor was non-stop opening and closing with the AZC turned off. I turned off the car and went into Walmart and when I got back the lever was not in the same spot. That and a couple of times when the car was off the blower motor was still on.
I did the check the AZC for codes and before it did show a fault, now it shows 0. There is no 0, 00 means no faults. So, with that said, I wonder if the AZC control is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.