Windows/Locks not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Windows/Locks not working

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
cherokee420
1999 WJ 

Windows/Locks not working

So before I started working on my jeep, everything was working fine.
I had all 4 door panels off to put my aftermarket kenwood speakers in, and I also had my dash out to replace the heater core.
I have double checked wiring plugs to make sure they are connected tightly. Everything else in the jeep is working properly.
Not sure what else to check

cherokee420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
4Tom
2001 WJ 

If the fuses are ok check for broken wires in drivers door boot.
These are the wires going from body to door. The rubber boot will unclip from door by hand usual a visual inspection is enough as its the thicker cables that break.

If they are broken dont just add a crimp connector as there is a lot of flexing of the cables every time door is opened and closed.

Best way to tackel it is to add a extra 9 inches of cable and soldered connections using heat shrink for insulation.

If you remove the body trim in foot well it will give you more room to work. you can pull one side of the broken cable back into foot well solder on a short lenght of cable same gauge as broken cable. Then feed it back through the rubber boot and solder to other end of broken cable at door.
The slack can be pulled back into body.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
cherokee420
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
If the fuses are ok check for broken wires in drivers door boot.
These are the wires going from body to door. The rubber boot will unclip from door by hand usual a visual inspection is enough as its the thicker cables that break.

If they are broken dont just add a crimp connector as there is a lot of flexing of the cables every time door is opened and closed.

Best way to tackel it is to add a extra 9 inches of cable and soldered connections using heat shrink for insulation.

If you remove the body trim in foot well it will give you more room to work. you can pull one side of the broken cable back into foot well solder on a short lenght of cable same gauge as broken cable. Then feed it back through the rubber boot and solder to other end of broken cable at door.
The slack can be pulled back into body.

I have checked a whole bunch of fuses, but none say anything about door locks or windows.
the door locks and windows stopped working after I put the speakers in. they worked fine before.

no broken wires that I have found.
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
4Tom
2001 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm

Fuse box
F8 15amp locks

Power distribution panel under hood
12 50amp windows

Tom
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
new2site
2002 WJ 

If you don't find a burnt fuse...I would re-check the drivers side plug...if that's not fully connected NONE of your windows will work...like what you have happening...
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
cherokee420
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
If you don't find a burnt fuse...I would re-check the drivers side plug...if that's not fully connected NONE of your windows/locks will work...like what you have happening...
drivers side plug ? do you mean the plug on the door, or the 2 big white plugs beside the foot rest on the left ?
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
AWDlifeform
2004 WJ 

Also having somewhat similar issues with my windows/door locks. I have found that when I close my driver door, the windows work. When the door is open, the windows will not work. Its too consistent in that manner that something could be lose. Is that the case with yours?

Not meaning to hyjack the thread, but my power locks are acting up, in that when I lock the doors from driver door, it only locks the driver side doors. If I look from the passenger side, only the passenger side door locks... So confused....
AWDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
4Tom
2001 WJ 

^^ See my post above on broken wire going from body to drivers door. Guarantee (money back ha ha ) you have broken wire.

Tom
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom
^^ See my post above on broken wire going from body to drivers door. Guarantee (money back ha ha ) you have broken wire.
Yeah you should know by now 4Tom, if you got a $ every time you helped someone with this issue, you would been crazy Rich by now.
I can see you answer These same topic threads on daily basis, the search function is still not freqvently used, lol, Thumbsup 4Tom
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
4Tom
2001 WJ 

I do but no $ yet lol...

know many will waste hours if not days trying to track it down... and end up replacing body modules door switches etc before discovering real issue.

Regret now didn't do a write up with pictures and put it in stickies.

Anyway it kills time while I'm waiting on my diesel buddies to post interesting faults... either their 5 pots are ultra reliable or they too lazy to post. Hope they haven't killed them and run out and bought petrols ha ha..

Good to see your minding yours like a baby.. and you have recover gear on it just like a real jeep should be

Ive given up posting on what biggest tire fits my jeep.

Tom
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee420 View Post
drivers side plug ? do you mean the plug on the door, or ....
Yes ...the main plug inside the door... long white rectangular one...
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
cherokee420
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yes ...the main plug inside the door... long white rectangular one...
There is 2 white plugs that are held on with a bolt. I checked all the wires and none are broken
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee420 View Post
There is 2 white plugs that are held on with a bolt. I checked all the wires and none are broken
Not sure about those...I'm referring to the "master" connection directly to the window/door lock switch on the inside removable door panel. On my '02 it "slides into/snaps in" master control switch....no bolts.

My point was to make sure this didn't get slightly tugged back (appearing to be connected...but not fully) when you took these panels off when installing speakers. Just get a good grip on it and give it a good push in...you could test some of the windows/locks before you reinstall the panel back on...one hand holding the panel up ..other hand moving the switches..

I have connection circled in white on first picture... second picture is what actual connector looks like (but not as many wires going to it on wj)
door-panel.jpg

automotive-connectors-wire-harness.jpg

Unread 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
new2site
2002 WJ 

Did you find out the problem?
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
cherokee420
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Did you find out the problem?
Well yesterday I started looking for broken wires and only managed to find 1 broken wire. Wired it back together with some spare wire I had, and still nothing.

I also pulled out fuse 12 and put a different fuse in

Still no windows or locks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.