Window Tint fail test - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Window Tint fail test

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post

Very dangerous at night, glad it's been caught before you've caused an accident.
A pass in test allows through 65% of light
As testers here just pass or fail without disclosing the actual figure I have to presume my tint is blocking more 35 % of visible light.

Never had a issue at night and honesty tint appears very light. A friend commented even at night they have no issues seeing me from out side the car. during day you can see through the windows from one side of jeep to the other.
Its all subjective as I've no way to measure the actual value and what one person thinks is ok another would disagree.

Years ago I had a car with dark privacy tint and I had to roll down the windows to see out at night. That had to come off as reversing at night had me leaning out the car door to see behind.

I,ll have to get out the scraper
Just hate the thoughts as its been on the jeep for years maybe even from new.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
shepd
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Very dangerous at night, glad it's been caught before you've caused an accident.
I hope you're joking. If not, you need to have an eye test done. I have 35% tint on the driver's window of my car and I can't even tell the difference at night between it and the windshield.

The Jeep, I will admit, has too much tint. Seems the previous owner went down to 20% up front, and that I *can* see the difference between it and the windshield at night. That being said, it also has never caused me any difficulties driving it at night.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
As testers here just pass or fail without disclosing the actual figure I have to presume my tint is blocking more 35 % of visible light.

I,ll have to get out the scraper
Just hate the thoughts as its been on the jeep for years maybe even from new.
Sounds to me like the tester may have made his decision based on which way the wind is blowing.

I find a heatgun makes it a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
I hope you're joking. If not, you need to have an eye test done. I have 35% tint on the driver's window of my car and I can't even tell the difference at night between it and the windshield.
Why do you think it's part of the motortest? I love tinted windows, I've had dark tinted front side windows, but they're dangerous at night. They're trying to stop all non-factory tint in the UK now too, although that's more for 'anti terrorism' - great for those of us with no luggage covers.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:

Why do you think it's part of the motortest? I love tinted windows, I've had dark tinted front side windows, but they're dangerous at night. They're trying to stop all non-factory tint in the UK now too, although that's more for 'anti terrorism' - great for those of us with no luggage covers.
Good thing terrorists tint their windows... it will make identifying them easier

The UK has a lot of rules/legislation... doesn't mean it's always right or for the correct reason.

My tinted windows haven't caused any accidents. Nor has it caused any in my wife's car. I can see out of them just fine.

The main reason we have restrictions on the front window tint in Az was for "Officer Safety". The Legislators thought it'd be a good idea if a Cop could see in the window as he approached it.
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
4Tom
2001 WJ 

I failed annual motor test with front door window's tinted. Also oil leak and bushing on rear a arm. Testers here are pigs on older vehicles as they get extra money for retesting.

Oileak is probably the biggest issue as I looks like its main rear seal and I don't fancy doing that myself.

Tom
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #21
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

Tom I've just bought my oil seals for the rear main. Went to the dealers and all still available there's 3, 2 cheap ones and the big main one 65!!!! Your tint, are all the windows the same Like mine? as you have the vm diesel too.
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
Tom I've just bought my oil seals for the rear main. Went to the dealers and all still available there's 3, 2 cheap ones and the big main one 65!!!! Your tint, are all the windows the same Like mine? as you have the vm diesel too.
Yes they are all the same tint I'm under the impression they came from factory like this. It's a film tint on all glass except windscreen. The windscreen has built into the glass a dark tint at top only.

Price of seals seem reasonable but I'm not confident of replacing main seal in my drive way with basic tools.
Ive seen a write up for a 4.0 petrol but dropping the transmission is big work.

Tom
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
CarlJH
2001 WJ 

I found some tint measuring devices on ebay for around 100. Also does it matter which way round they use the measuring device? Driving to work today i didn't see much difference between the windshield and side window looking out but looking in there's quite a difference
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
madtrixter
1999 WJ 

The front windows showing 65% sounds about right for factory. 70% is the standard for manufacturing front door glass, but it seems in the last 15 or so years they are metering out darker. My WJ measures at 62% with NO tint on the fronts. Keep in mind the meters they test with need to be calibrated. I can have two meters on the same glass with different readings.

If you have a light film on your windows, that is not factory. The dealer may have had it installed, but they dont put film on vehicles at the factory. Their "tint" is just dyed glass. So if you do have window film on your fronts, you can just scrape it off. Peel the tint, using stainless blades to not scratch the glass and soapy water. Shouldnt take more than 20 min.

Also factory tint has no UV rejection qualities at all.

Hope this helps. 15+ years tinting windows.
madtrixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
I found some tint measuring devices on ebay for around 100. Also does it matter which way round they use the measuring device? Driving to work today i didn't see much difference between the windshield and side window looking out but looking in there's quite a difference
Thats the same with mine.
Out of interest what does your front door windows measure.
Its possible the guy testing mine didn't calibrate.

Tom
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
4Tom
2001 WJ 

This has been my confusion
Is the film tint from factory or aftermarket
There not many WG here but they all seem to be tinted the same.

Tom
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
Is the film tint from factory or aftermarket
Film is aftermarket
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post

Film is aftermarket
This seems to be the consensus of all the posters so far.

Tom
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrixter View Post
The front windows showing 65% sounds about right for factory. 70% is the standard for manufacturing front door glass, but it seems in the last 15 or so years they are metering out darker. My WJ measures at 62% with NO tint on the fronts. Keep in mind the meters they test with need to be calibrated. I can have two meters on the same glass with different readings.

If you have a light film on your windows, that is not factory. The dealer may have had it installed, but they dont put film on vehicles at the factory. Their "tint" is just dyed glass. So if you do have window film on your fronts, you can just scrape it off. Peel the tint, using stainless blades to not scratch the glass and soapy water. Shouldnt take more than 20 min.

Also factory tint has no UV rejection qualities at all.

Hope this helps. 15+ years tinting windows.
Your factory front door glass has 38% darkness from the factory with no film on it?? I find that heard to believe. Factory front tinted glass, not privacy glass like in the rear of our WJS at 20%, runs at between 5-10% tint just like the windshield. Like looking through an old glass coke bottle, it has a slight green tint. And I guess you haven't heard of SolarGuard glass with UV protection being used in new cars since 1996. I worked in a glass install and tinting shop myself. The Transitions eye glasses I wear will not turn dark inside any new vehicle due to the UV resistance of the glass.
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
madtrixter
1999 WJ 

I'm not going to get into a debate on the subject, but there are different types and ranges of UV light. this article sums it up pretty well. Auto glass doesnt stop much of the harmful UV rays that cause skin cancer. And I have had cars newer than 96 come into my shop with destroyed back decks from UV rays, some of them were even tinted with poor quality film.

http://www.smartskincare.com/skinpro...v-indoors.html

And as far as percentages go, where Im from, 70% refers to how much light goes thru the glass out of a total of 100%. So basically when I refer to 70% I mean it blocks 30%, so pretty much as clear as a windsheild, and 5% means super dark limo style cuz you are effectively blocking 95% of the outside light from coming thru.
madtrixter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.