JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Will these speakers work in a WJ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/will-these-speakers-work-wj-1535272/)

Locutus 06-11-2013 05:21 PM

Will these speakers work in a WJ?

i want to replace my speakers. will these fit?
thanks

Brand: Kicker
Model #: 40CS674
Built-In Crossover: Yes
Manufacturer Color Name: Black
Car Speaker Type: Coaxial
Cutout Diameter Or Length (in.): 5.50
Flush-Mount: Yes
Frequency Response: 40-20k
Impedance (ohms): 4
Installation Required: Yes
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year limited parts and labor
Mount Depth (in.): 1.8100
Peak Power Handling (watts): 300
Product Depth (in.): 1.81
Product Height (in.): 6.75
Product Weight (lb.): 4.15
Product Width (in.): 6.75
Resistance (ohms): 4
RMS Power Range (watts): 100
Speaker Mount Type: Top
Speaker Size (in.): 6.75
Tweeter Composition: polyetherimide
Woofer Composition: polyester foam
Woofer Surround: Foam

Brand: Kicker
Model #: 40CS6934
Built-In Crossover: Yes
Manufacturer Color Name: Black
Car Speaker Type: Coaxial
Cutout Diameter Or Length (in.): 8.44
Flush-Mount: Yes
Frequency Response: 30-20k
Impedance (ohms): 4
Installation Required: Yes
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year limited parts and labor
Mount Depth (in.): 3.1800
Peak Power Handling (watts): 450
Product Depth (in.): 3.18
Product Height (in.): 6
Product Weight (lb.): .47
Product Width (in.): 9
Resistance (ohms): 4
RMS Power Range (watts): 150
Speaker Mount Type: Top
Speaker Size (in.): 6.00
Tweeter Composition: polyetherimide
Woofer Composition: polypropylene
Woofer Surround: Foam

silentbob21 06-11-2013 05:44 PM

the second speakers, which I am assuming are 6x9s are little too deep, the max mounting depth you can use in a WJ is 2 7/8 inches... I replaced all my door speakers with speakers that were exactly that 2 7/8" and they are close to the window when its down. there is still enough room but if you are over 3" its not gonna work...

those rears seem like they should be fine. be tough to find an amp that will accommodate both of those easily though without payin a hefty price. 100 - 150 watts RMS is a pretty big jump for a 4 channel amp.

some good info on this site you can read here:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/jlaudio.htm

can check out my build thread as well, but I dont Think I talked about the door speakers too much:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...heavy-1524891/

Aaron

Locutus 06-11-2013 05:49 PM

I still have the infinity amp wired in. Will that work?

silentbob21 06-11-2013 05:53 PM

definitely not, the infinity amp is a 6 channel amp... and it barely puts out any power, you would be better off removing it and just using an aftermarket head unit to power your door speakers. you will lose the dash speakers either way as there is no way to retain 6 channels with a 4 channel anything... unless you use crossovers as I did. which is still 4 channels but allows you to run components with separate tweeters on each channel.

those speakers are coaxial so I would just ditch the dash speakers all together if you are going that route and either remove them or just leave them in unhooked.

but either way stock amp is a no go with aftermarket speakers, and I believe the infinity system is set up to run at 8 ohms so your 4 ohm speakers would be no good anyway.

Aaron

Terminal 06-11-2013 06:00 PM

Hey, SilentBob. Is the factory wire gauge heavy enough to handle a real 4x100 RMS amp like Alpine in the door components speakers -- so I can splice in where the factory infinity amp is located -- or do you think it should be re-wired to handle the new power?

Locutus 06-11-2013 06:00 PM

i have a Kenwood unit. i forget what model. everything else is stock, all 4 door speakers, dash speakers and amp.. i bought it that way. The head unit is wired thru the amp. and it all works and sound pretty good. one of the woofers is blown and i want to replace all the doors. Do you have a rec. for the doors? I am an audio rookie. As in i know less than nothing
thanks

silentbob21 06-11-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminal (Post 15549170)
Hey, SilentBob. Is the factory wire gauge heavy enough to handle a real 4x100 RMS amp like Alpine in the door components speakers -- so I can splice in where the factory infinity amp is located -- or do you think it should be re-wired to handle the new power?

the factory wiring is around 20 gauge so I would say no, I wouldnt push 100 watts rms through that, it was pretty easy to run new wiring anyway, I just ran 16 gauge to my doors to be safe.

you can absolutely still use the factory amp with new speakers but you aren't going to be getting the full potential out of your speakers.

ADragg 06-12-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentbob21 (Post 15550390)
you can absolutely still use the factory amp with new speakers but you aren't going to be getting the full potential out of your speakers.

I've actually heard that you don't want to run most decent or good component speakers until you at least have an aftermarket head unit, as the stock Infinity amp puts out so little power that it can blow the speakers by under-powering them. I can't remember the explanation of why speakers can be blown due to under-powering.

The time now is 06:02 AM.