Wifes WJ smoking when A/C is on - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wifes WJ smoking when A/C is on

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
So..does this part go into the evaporator?
If so...how do we access the evaporator?
It looks like the line from the canister goes into the firewall.
The evaporator core is inside the HVAC sub assembly, the hose that goes into the firewall connects directly to it, same basic setup as your ZJ. Dash removal is required for replacement. There is a quick connect fitting at the firewall that allows you to disconnect the receiver/drier/accumulator from the evaporator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah View Post
Honestly, I believe that the compressor is shooting that out of a high-pressure valve that sits on top of the AC compressor. It's just above your arrow. My air conditioner did the exact same thing when it was overfilled one time. It made that whooshing sound, green stuff everywhere, and appeared to be smoking, and then worked fine. There may be too much pressure in the system when it's really hot out, you should have the proper gauges hooked up to have it checked. IM near 100% certain that's what's going on. As I said, it happened to mine but the AC continued to work fine. I had it checked, and there was way too much pressure in the system. I advise to have the proper gauges hooked up before you run it again. It's like they built that valve into the compressor to protect it from high-pressure, if you look closely above your arrow under your hood, you will see what I'm talking about. I saw it happen with my own eyes the last time my jeep did it, it's like I high pressure Squirt valve
While this is certainly a possibility in your given situation, the OP made no mention of topping off the A/C recently. If that's the case, then the system is running at too high a pressure and needs to be serviced. Typically high pressure is caused by a blockage or kinked line. Typical culprits are clogged/plugged orifice tube, evaporator core, or receiver/drier.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
The evaporator core is inside the HVAC sub assembly, the hose that goes into the firewall connects directly to it, same basic setup as your ZJ. Dash removal is required for replacement. There is a quick connect fitting at the firewall that allows you to disconnect the receiver/drier/accumulator from the evaporator.

While this is certainly a possibility in your given situation, the OP made no mention of topping off the A/C recently. If that's the case, then the system is running at too high a pressure and needs to be serviced. Typically high pressure is caused by a blockage or kinked line. Typical culprits are clogged/plugged orifice tube, evaporator core, or receiver/drier.
Thank you for the information...I really appreciate it.
I will check the pressure 1st, and if all is fine, replace the accumulator.
I'll report back with results.
brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
reneveah
2003 WJ 

You are very much welcome for that information, mine did that because before I knew what I was doing, I Overfilled it. Ran cold and fine on first start up, shut the engine off for a hot soak, turn it back on, turn on the AC, whoosh, smoke, green stuff. Comes right out of that valve. It appears they manufactured that into the compressor to protect them.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Also, just take it and get it properly serviced. They will evacuate the entire system, pullout all of the moisture, and fill it back up and you will be so happy with it.
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

UPDATE:

Well...I ended up replacing the aluminum accumulator because the A/C sprayed green stuff all over the engine again. That was done about a month ago.
My father-in-law is an HVAC mechanic, and he sucked everything down to a vacuum...we replaced the aluminum accumulator, then he hooked up his gauges, and refilled the system with refrigerant.
Well...it happened yet again just the other day....so my question is...do you think my father-in-law put too much refrigerant in the system causing the high pressure..or is something wrong (blocked up) with the A/C?
I really don't want to take this in to someone and have them charge me $800 to service the A/C.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What about the high pressure switch, it could not be telling the compressor to turn off causing high pressure blowouts.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
What about the high pressure switch, it could not be telling the compressor to turn off causing high pressure blowouts.
Ahh...OK. Is this an easy replacement? Any idea where to find that on the 4.7L?
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure where it would be, most likely on the ??dryer canister?? it should have a line in and out of a canister looking object. It should be on top of that.
BTW I have not read through this whole tread, but based on what i read quickly on my phone that is what i would check.
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
I'm not sure where it would be, most likely on the ??dryer canister?? it should have a line in and out of a canister looking object. It should be on top of that.
BTW I have not read through this whole tread, but based on what i read quickly on my phone that is what i would check.
Cool...does the system need to be discharged before the replacement of the switch?
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Another question...if I run the A/C...and the pressure release valve blows off again...could it be the compressor going bad or being blocked up?
Is there a danger to drive it in this condition?
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Take out the ac fuse/relay, i dont think it would hurt anything
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #27
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Update

Hey guys...I just opened the hood on my wife's Jeep to do an oil change, and low and behold...there is still some green stuff on the fan shroud and where the hood meets the front fascia. We have not run the A/C for over 6 months...but there is still green fluid around the engine bay. So does this problem also arise with the heat on as well? If so...does that help with the diagnosis?
I still have not been able to figure out what is wrong. I have not been able to change the high pressure switch yet. Hopefully this week.
Thanks for the help!
Unread 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Hey guys...I just opened the hood on my wife's Jeep to do an oil change, and low and behold...there is still some green stuff on the fan shroud and where the hood meets the front fascia. We have not run the A/C for over 6 months...but there is still green fluid around the engine bay. So does this problem also arise with the heat on as well? If so...does that help with the diagnosis?
I still have not been able to figure out what is wrong. I have not been able to change the high pressure switch yet. Hopefully this week.
Thanks for the help!
Hey guys...this is still an issue. I just popped the hood to replace the front shocks, and there was green fluid on the black hood trim on the passengers side in front of the battery. There wasn't a lot of it, and it is NOT coolant, but its there. I wiped it clean, and it keeps coming back in the same spot.
What could be causing this?...as we only used the heat through the winter...the A/C was never on.
Unread 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #29
hvadreamn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
What could be causing this?...as we only used the heat through the winter...the A/C was never on.
If you run the defroster the A/C system runs too, that could be the source.
hvadreamn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvadreamn View Post
If you run the defroster the A/C system runs too, that could be the source.
Ahh...I did not know that. Thanks for the info!
So I have to figure out why this green stuff (dye) is being expelled.
I will probably have to take it in and get the A/C system checked. I dont know near enough to try to diagnose this myself.
Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.