Wifes WJ smoking when A/C is on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wifes WJ smoking when A/C is on

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Wifes WJ smoking when A/C is on

Hey guys...my wife's 2000 WJ started to smoke yesterday from under the hood. I took a look at it in the parking lot, and noticed a bunch of green stuff all over the engine (Coolant is yellow/orange) and it seemed to be coming from the hose right above the A/C compressor...but not sure.
So I wiped everything down, and turned off the A/C, and drove it home with no problem. I also ran it again when home (for about 10 minutes straight) and I didn't see any leak, and nothing happened. A/C is blowing 40 degree air in the cabin.
Any ideas what happened? What's the green fluid?
Thanks for the help!

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

A/C leak detector dye is typically green in color. Given the proximity to the compressor leads me to believe thats what it is. However, you stated the A/C is working fine, which is a little strange to say the least.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
A/C leak detector dye is typically green in color. Given the proximity to the compressor leads me to believe thats what it is. However, you stated the A/C is working fine, which is a little strange to say the least.
Exactly...extremely strange. Plus...I started the A/C when I got it back home for ten minutes, and couldnt find a thing wrong and no leak anywhere I could see.
I figured once I turned on the A/C, she would spit all over...nothing.
Good to know what the green dye all over the engine was.
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Here is a picture of where the leak (I believe) was:

imagesca6vorm6.jpg

The green stuff was all over that hose and all over the fan shroud.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Well...is just happened again. My wife was driving...shut off the Jeep to go into a store. Then when she started it again, she heard two "swishing" noises, and then it started to smoke.
I told her to pop the hood, and there was green fluid on the hose from the above picture again.
Any ideas?
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Possible that the fitting on the hose is going and the hose needs to be replaced. After it's on for a while maybe it starts to leak? or does so with the pressure after the engine is off? Same type of fitting on the PS high pressure side. Mine went on my XJ and spewed everywhere. Had to be replaced. Smoking more than likely is it hitting the hot engine.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Possible that the fitting on the hose is going and the hose needs to be replaced. After it's on for a while maybe it starts to leak? or does so with the pressure after the engine is off? Same type of fitting on the PS high pressure side. Mine went on my XJ and spewed everywhere. Had to be replaced. Smoking more than likely is it hitting the hot engine.
Thanks....how do I go about replacing that hose? Whats it called, and how do I get it off?
Does the whole line need to be replaced?
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

You'll need to have the A/C system evac'd, then replace the line and have the A/C system flushed and refilled. I think that is the line that goes from the compressor to the receiver/drier, fortunately they are not very expensive:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...255&cc=1381418

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Pressure fitting hoses shoud be replaced, not repaired. The AC hoses just bolt on and have an o-ring that seals them from leaking. The top you can easily see. You'd have to trace the hose to see where the other end goes into. Unfortunately though, the system has to have the freon drained from it to remove the hose. Then once the new one has been put on, the system will have to be evac'd and then recharged. As well while you're at it and if you still using r134, you could change it to use r12a. Mine had to be done due to my engine being changed out. Blows a lot colder and supposedly more effecient than the r134.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
You'll need to have the A/C system evac'd, then replace the line and have the A/C system flushed and refilled. I think that is the line that goes from the compressor to the receiver/drier, fortunately they are not very expensive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Pressure fitting hoses shoud be replaced, not repaired. The AC hoses just bolt on and have an o-ring that seals them from leaking. The top you can easily see. You'd have to trace the hose to see where the other end goes into. Unfortunately though, the system has to have the freon drained from it to remove the hose. Then once the new one has been put on, the system will have to be evac'd and then recharged. As well while you're at it and if you still using r134, you could change it to use r12a. Mine had to be done due to my engine being changed out. Blows a lot colder and supposedly more effecient than the r134.
Thanks guys...I appreciate the help with this. Of course, its 90 degrees the next 3 days.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

But of course! 30C here the last few days.

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:

So..does this part go into the evaporator?
If so...how do we access the evaporator?
It looks like the line from the canister goes into the firewall.
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Honestly, I believe that the compressor is shooting that out of a high-pressure valve that sits on top of the AC compressor. It's just above your arrow. My air conditioner did the exact same thing when it was overfilled one time. It made that whooshing sound, green stuff everywhere, and appeared to be smoking, and then worked fine. There may be too much pressure in the system when it's really hot out, you should have the proper gauges hooked up to have it checked. IM near 100% certain that's what's going on. As I said, it happened to mine but the AC continued to work fine. I had it checked, and there was way too much pressure in the system. I advise to have the proper gauges hooked up before you run it again. It's like they built that valve into the compressor to protect it from high-pressure, if you look closely above your arrow under your hood, you will see what I'm talking about. I saw it happen with my own eyes the last time my jeep did it, it's like I high pressure Squirt valve
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #14
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Definitely sounds like something to check out. I've a 4.0 so my compressor is down underneath. makes me wonder if it's on there as well. As said, you will need the proper gauges to check it though, or know of a shop who'll do it for you.

Unread 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneveah View Post
Honestly, I believe that the compressor is shooting that out of a high-pressure valve that sits on top of the AC compressor. It's just above your arrow. My air conditioner did the exact same thing when it was overfilled one time. It made that whooshing sound, green stuff everywhere, and appeared to be smoking, and then worked fine. There may be too much pressure in the system when it's really hot out, you should have the proper gauges hooked up to have it checked. IM near 100% certain that's what's going on. As I said, it happened to mine but the AC continued to work fine. I had it checked, and there was way too much pressure in the system. I advise to have the proper gauges hooked up before you run it again. It's like they built that valve into the compressor to protect it from high-pressure, if you look closely above your arrow under your hood, you will see what I'm talking about. I saw it happen with my own eyes the last time my jeep did it, it's like I high pressure Squirt valve
Thank you SOOOO very much!!!
I truly appreciate the help with this...your description is exactly whats going on with mine. I will have the proper gauges hooked up to it, and have it checked out.
Any idea what the proper level for the A/C pressure should be?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.