Wierd clicking sound!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wierd clicking sound!?!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wj Wierd clicking sound!?!

I have weird clicking noise that just started yesterday afternoon. It is a clicking sound that is very rhythmic, sounds like gears that are slipping. It appears to be coming from behind the radio. It started when i turned on my jeep and lasted for about 30 seconds or so, then stopped. At first i though my floor mat was caught and not letting the gas pedal adjust. I got home and when turned the jeep off and was closing the door it did it again. Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking Blend doors maybe?

jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
JTS97Z28

Is it the climate control doors in the dash? Those make creaking sounds in most WJ's I've been in with the automatic dual zone AC. It sounds like an old door closing that needs some line on the hinges lol.
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

It's the blend doors doing their calibration. Every time you turn on the key it will do it, turn off the key, it will do it after about 5-10 seconds. Nothing to worry about. If you DIDN'T hear the noise, be worried, because that means your blend door shafts are broken.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here is an update. It has still been doing the same clicking sound, some days more then others. Yesterday morning my family and I loaded up to go the for a drive, it was chilly so I turned on the heater, heat on the drivers side but not on the passenger side only cold air. I did the diagnostic procedure from WJJeeps. I got a code 56. I opened up the dash and removed the motor to check the shaft. It does not turn freely like some many have found, it rotates up and down and stops were it should in either position. I am a little confused, are there 2 separate motors that open up the blend doors independently? My JGC does have the dual zone controls.
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
jeepomb
2003 WJ 

You are correct. There are 2 motors for the dual climate control. One can be reached behind the glove box by removing the glove box. The passenger side motor is on the other side, the engine side of the box containing the blend doors. You cant get to this motor without removing the whole dashboard. Unless someone knows a way.
It sounds like the flap you checked. The drivers side is ok. The passanger side however may be broke. The only way to see this is by cutting a hole in the casing to get access to both flaps.
It is rare these motors break. The blend door spindles usually break first. I think that is the problem the motors are too powerful and carrying out a calibration check each time you start and stop the jeep eventually breaks the flap spindle. Well. First the stop pin breaks that tells the motor where to stop. Once the stop pin has broke the full force of the motor is exerted on the flap spindle. Which doesnt last long.
If its the passanger side flap thats broke and both motors are ok you can buy a replacement dual flap kit
If the pasenger side motor has broken you can buy a single flap kit where the 2 flaps are connected and both work off the drivers side motor behind the glove box. Downside you do loose the dual climate control. The drivers side controll knob controlls both sides.
Your motor may be ok but the passenger side flap may be broke.
I bought a dual flap replacement and went in by cutting a hole behind the glovebox to get to the flaps.
I found 2 broken flaps and a broke passanger side motor I couldnt replace. So I joined my flaps together now they both work off the one motor.
Its held up for 12 months so far with no probs.
When it was on its way out mine made some wierd clicking and creaking noises before it went quiet. The guys above are right them noises 10 seconds after you turn the jeep off are normal. If theres no noise you have a prob.
Oh after fitting the blend door kit there is a calibration check you have to do first time you turn on your jeep to check it. If you dont follow this procedure ( which I cant remember lol. ) both motors will go through a full rotation breaking the stop pin that tells the motor to stop.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea i pulled the glove box off and removed the motor, i turned on the jeep to watch all the flaps i could see like the recir door. After i turned off the jeep with the motor still removed it clicked again! AAAUUUUGGGGG!!! This is going to be fun. Thank bro!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.