Why pull front driveshaft for highway driving? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisHager
  • 1 Post By grayWJ4x4
  • 2 Post By ChrisHager

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
dnt6972

Why pull front driveshaft for highway driving?

My son will be driving his 1999 Grand Cherokee from CO to WI next week and someone suggested we pull the front driveshaft and run it in 2WD on the highway. Why?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

MPG savings.

But while it sounds reasonable in theory, I'd hesitate to call it prudent. Physically removing a part that is designed to be there could introduce other issues that will cost more than the modest gas savings. Especially on an older vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
If I were that concerned with MPG, I would look into borrowing a car.
MWF likes this.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
If I were that concerned with MPG, I would look into borrowing a car.

^ this is good advice ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
dnt6972

That's what I thought. The guy said it would "destroy" the front end. I have a hard time believing that one but thought I would ask around.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wait... He told you you SHOULD remove the front driveshaft for a long drive to PREVENT the front end from being destroyed?

I wouldn't let him maintain any of your vehicles...

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM
grayWJ4x4

Why pull front driveshaft for highway driving?

Removing the front drive shaft has zero affect on the drivetrain wear. You can drive without it forever and nothing will happen.
Having said that you also get pretty much zero gas savings.
I had mine off for the entire summer because I need it to get balanced.
And I did at least a dozen 300 mile trips with it off.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
TheDashingRogue
2003 WJ 

Garage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 4x4 WJs were designed to run 100% power to the rear wheels by default until slippage starts to occur, and then the Quadra-Trac/Quadra Drive system works it's magic to distribute that power where needed.

I don't know if removing the front drive shaft would harm the engine or not as I've never tried it myself.

However I can't imagine the MPG gains would be terribly significant. The only thing I see it reducing on 100% highway driving is drivetrain friction caused by the moving parts freewheeling while disengaged. But you'd still get some even then...

Again, I could be totally wrong here. Please do correct me if I am.

Sent from the SR-2 Normandy's Quantum Entanglement Communicator using Tapatalk

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
post #9 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDashingRogue View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that 4x4 WJs were designed to run 100% power to the rear wheels by default until slippage starts to occur, and then the Quadra-Trac/Quadra Drive system works it's magic to distribute that power where needed.
Correct.

Quote:
I don't know if removing the front drive shaft would harm the engine or not as I've never tried it myself.
Engine wear is not relative to driveshaft number.

Quote:
However I can't imagine the MPG gains would be terribly significant. The only thing I see it reducing on 100% highway driving is drivetrain friction caused by the moving parts freewheeling while disengaged. But you'd still get some even then...
Since WJs don't have lockout hubs, all of the axle parts would still be spinning. The only reduction in friction by removing the driveshaft would be the loss of driveshaft movement itself.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM
TheDashingRogue
2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Correct.

Engine wear is not relative to driveshaft number.

Since WJs don't have lockout hubs, all of the axle parts would still be spinning. The only reduction in friction by removing the driveshaft would be the loss of driveshaft movement itself.
Awesome! Glad I got that right, and that I wasn't just repeating nonsense.

And about the friction, I figured as much. That's why I didn't think there'd really be any significant difference with the MPGs if you remove the driveshaft or not.

Sent from the SR-2 Normandy's Quantum Entanglement Communicator using Tapatalk

"Not all those who wander are lost..."
post #11 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnt6972 View Post
My son will be driving his 1999 Grand Cherokee from CO to WI next week and someone suggested we pull the front driveshaft and run it in 2WD on the highway. Why?
"Someone" is an idiot. I think if you have Quadratrac II or Quadradrive, the nv247 transfer case (i.e. progressive coupler) will detect different wheel speeds between front and rear when the front DS is disconnected, thereby engaging 4wd and probably not for the better. If you have SelectTrac (nv242), then I guess you could run it in 2wd and disconnect the front DS, but I'm not sure why. You guys can correct me on the nv247 thing, if I'm wrong.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #12 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 PM
grayWJ4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
"Someone" is an idiot. I think if you have Quadratrac II or Quadradrive, the nv247 transfer case (i.e. progressive coupler) will detect different wheel speeds between front and rear when the front DS is disconnected, thereby engaging 4wd and probably not for the better. If you have SelectTrac (nv242), then I guess you could run it in 2wd and disconnect the front DS, but I'm not sure why. You guys can correct me on the nv247 thing, if I'm wrong.

247 or 242. Makes no difference. You can remove the front DS and drive forever and you'll be just fine.
You just won't have a 4WD Jeep.
99SK04GTX likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayWJ4x4 View Post
You just won't have a 4WD Jeep.
I'm sad that this exists from the factory.

grayWJ4x4 and TheDashingRogue like this.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 02:45 PM
SeveSeven

the viscous coupler in the tcase doesnt care that its locked up with no load. key being no load. it will spin the output but the actual torque transfer is virtually nothing so the fluid wont get destroyed. the driveshaft is like nothing in energy to spin, if you could unlock the hubs thats a different story because you are dealing with the ring and pinion friction. i wouldnt bother, literally might save 5 bucks over a thousand miles. youre better served checking alignment and tire pressures lol.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Monzsta
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnt6972 View Post
I pulled mine due to a joint going bad. Didn't notice any difference in mpg, and I lost my holeshot superpower in the rain. Drifting on/off ramps was fun, though. It went back in when I got a repair kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.