why my Jeep make a ticking noise 4.0 at idle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > why my Jeep make a ticking noise 4.0 at idle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
FordExplorer

why my Jeep make a ticking noise 4.0 at idle?

It seen to get louder on warm weather . I currently using 10-30w valvoline high mileage, i don't if is the oil or what but oil pressure is good. the ticking noise only does at idle once the engine is warm up and go away when you press on the gas. That normal should i get worry ?

2000 Jeep Gr Cherokee 4.0 with 160.012 miles

FordExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
04dubjay

Ah yes, the old tick tick 4.0 question. I honestly think that everyone's jeep has a tick here or a tap there, My opinion? If it aint broke, don't fix it!
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dubjay View Post
Ah yes, the old tick tick 4.0 question. I honestly think that everyone's jeep has a tick here or a tap there, My opinion? If it aint broke, don't fix it!
so that normal?
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
04dubjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordExplorer View Post
so that normal?
From what I've read on this forum I'd say YES. As long as it isn't effecting anything else noticeably (mpg, performance, codes, etc).
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
wheelhead

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 2000 4.0 ticks for 30-45 seconds after a cold start. So I say it's fine.
Its a work in progress
wheelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

it's normal, the 4.0 I6 has a flat tappet cam & combined with the lifter & pushrods.....it's just going to be noisy. Perfect example is the old VW beetle motors; they also use a flat tappet cam, lifters, & pushrods and see how noisy there valve train components are. It's a design that's been around forever & frankly it's bomb proof. Even old high reving Porsche's have this design & they have valve chatter.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
cpratt247
2002 WJ 

On your next oil change, replace 1qt of oil with 1qt of Marvels Mystery Oil. It will stop the tic.

I buy a 5qt jug of Castro high mileage from Walmart & 1qt of Marvels...no tick for me.
cpratt247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpratt247 View Post
On your next oil change, replace 1qt of oil with 1qt of Marvels Mystery Oil. It will stop the tic.

I buy a 5qt jug of Castro high mileage from Walmart & 1qt of Marvels...no tick for me.
are you sure this Marvels stuff will not destroyed my engine ?
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJ01TJ View Post
it's normal, the 4.0 I6 has a flat tappet cam & combined with the lifter & pushrods.....it's just going to be noisy. Perfect example is the old VW beetle motors; they also use a flat tappet cam, lifters, & pushrods and see how noisy there valve train components are. It's a design that's been around forever & frankly it's bomb proof. Even old high reving Porsche's have this design & they have valve chatter.
This guy is saying on every Jeep with a 4.0 from 99-04 if you have a tick noise you have a crack head I confuse now .

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

He's an idiot then. A small tick on cold start is okay. His tick was something worse.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
99WJ01TJ
1999 WJ 

that was his finding based on removing his head. I had a exhaust manifold bolt break on my 4.7 V8 & i swore i dropped a valve head, come to find out with the engine cold & running the gap was huge and allowed more valve noise to escape. When it heated up it closed the gap. If you're worried about a bad head, get a block test kit from the auto parts store & it'll tell you if you have exhaust gases in your coolant.
99WJ01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordExplorer View Post
are you sure this Marvels stuff will not destroyed my engine ?
No, it's good stuff for cleaning and it may clean up things enough to lessen or stop your tick. It's been around for 80 years thousands of people love the stuff for various uses.

While it may help your tick it will thin your oil considerably. I suggest you jump up a grade to a 10w40 if you're going to add a quart of that stuff. A pint would be fine in your 10w30 you can add it now if you wish, much of it will burn off in a few hundred miles.

A "tick" is a lot different than a "clack". A clack is bad and can be a cracked exhaust manifold (a possibility if it goes away once warmed up) or a broken piston skirt. The latter is a disaster but it will not go away when warmed up, it will be constant.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
heitzman
2002 WJ 

I have a ticking noise in my 4.0 also. I run 10W40 and a Qrt. of Marvels Mystery Oil every oil change, It helps but it is still there from time to time. When mine warms up it is better but when you are at a idle it will stop ticking for 30 seconds or so and start ticking again. I have done an oil change with out Marvels Mystery Oil and the ticking is worse. I would try it, its not going to damage anything. You could have a weak or flat lifter, I believe that is what my problem is a weak lifter. I would replace my lifters but I dont want to spend the time to remove the head. Hope this helps.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhead View Post
My 2000 4.0 ticks for 30-45 seconds after a cold start. So I say it's fine.
My tick once the engine is warm up and at idle and go away when you press on the gas ?
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
FordExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzman View Post
I have a ticking noise in my 4.0 also. I run 10W40 and a Qrt. of Marvels Mystery Oil every oil change, It helps but it is still there from time to time. When mine warms up it is better but when you are at a idle it will stop ticking for 30 seconds or so and start ticking again. I have done an oil change with out Marvels Mystery Oil and the ticking is worse. I would try it, its not going to damage anything. You could have a weak or flat lifter, I believe that is what my problem is a weak lifter. I would replace my lifters but I dont want to spend the time to remove the head. Hope this helps.
My tick once the engine is warm up and at idle and go away when you press on the gas ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.