Why is my 02 Overland not smooth when coming to a stop? (Not brake related) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why is my 02 Overland not smooth when coming to a stop? (Not brake related)

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
JTS97Z28

Even though I didnt think it was the problem, I yanked the front driveshaft off and drove the truck around. No changes, it still comes to a complete stop as if im tapping the brakes just before it stops. As far as I can tlel though the torque converter is working as it should otherwise. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
JTS97Z28

Well I'm kind of excited. After more research I found a term used on this forum that seems pretty common called "stop bump" and it seems to be the exact problem in having. They say the fix is to remove the rear driveshaft and grease the splines from the transfer case to the driveshaft with a silicone based grease. I don't want to jinx myself since I haven't done this fix yet, but I live these cheap and easy fixes :-)
If anyone else has experience with "stop bump" I would appreciate any additional info.

Here is one of the many stop bump threads I found:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...mping-1608697/
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Upside
2002 WJ 

My aunt had that problem in her '01 after the trans was rebuilt. I guess the shop didn't know about lubing the output on the transfer case. She described it as coming to a stop then the jeep jerking like someone bumped her vehicle. Worth a try to see if that's your issue though.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
JTS97Z28

I lubed the splines the other day and to my surprise the jeep still seems to give a little nudge just before stopping. I was really surprised as I thought the "stop bump" was my exact problem. I don't know, maybe it's something with the torque converter, but it seems to work perfectly otherwise. Oh well, I guess it's not a huge deal, but I just wish the jeep rolled to a stop as smoothly as it does in neutral while in drive.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #20
MichiganDuck

I have the same problem.. it bothers me, but the jeep is still driveable..
MichiganDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #21
BlueJc
2001 WJ 

Its brake related IMHO. When in drive the engine is still trying to move the car forwards when the brake is applied but in neutral it is not. If you slowly lift your foot off the brake without touching the throttle does your car start to move forward? Is there much travel in the peddle before the brake becomes engaged/firms up?

You could let your brakes bed in. Or maybe change the fluid for new. First bleed the fluid from each caliper to ensure no air is trapped.

Ps brake pistons sticking on can also cause this check each wheel for excessive heat after a run out. If one wheel is hotter than the others then you have a problem.

2001 4.7 V8 Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd.
BlueJc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
robrilla
2004 WJ 

I have the same issue as well. I can hear brake noises, chattering when stopping and chattering when releasing the brakes slowly. If I barely release the brakes the noise continues on until I fully brake or until I fully release the brakes. I have 2004 4.7 with Stillen one piece cast, cross drilled rotors paired with Stillen Metal Matrix pads and Akebonos calipers all around. Obviously I bled the brakes as well. I had the same issue before the brake gear swap and I still have it today even after the swap. I also bedded my brakes according to Stillens instructions.

When driving, if I put the WJ in neutral and brake to a stop I don't get the chattering which, to me, would indicate the issue is not the brakes. However, if I keep the WJ in gear and come to a stop with the chatter, shift into neutral and release the brakes slowly, I can hear the chattering a little as the brakes release. I almost think the issue is the transfer case wanting to keep moving the Jeep and the brakes are just chattering away when barely applied. I have no clue. I think the issue may still be related to the brakes but I have no idea. I do know that this is NOT stop bump.

-Rob

Adding info... This also happens no mater if the brakes are hot or cold.
robrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Robrilla, did you bed in your new brakes?
Edit: missed that you said it happened before the brake swap. My bad
DavisI is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
MichiganDuck

mine is still doing it after front brakes done- pads and rotors. Akebono all around on my 2004 4.0. Brake and suspension is essentially all new, so my guess is in trans or t-case.
MichiganDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
robrilla
2004 WJ 

I'll take out my front driveline this weekend to test the hypothesis above that it may be causing the chattering sound. Still seems like the torque (TC, Driveline / Diff) is causing the brakes to grab on the roters and they're just grabbing... Deep thoughts I know. I just can't explain why even after a brake overhaul the issue still occurs.

-Rob
robrilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.