Why is my 02 Overland not smooth when coming to a stop? (Not brake related) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why is my 02 Overland not smooth when coming to a stop? (Not brake related)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
JTS97Z28

Why is my 02 Overland not smooth when coming to a stop? (Not brake related)

I have a question for you guys. I have a 02 Overland that overall runs and drives great. One thing that I have been curious about though, is that when the Jeep is just about to come to a stop like at a stop sign or red light, it does not do it perfectly smooth. There will be a shutter type feel and when it stops sometimes it feels like the brakes are grabbing it to stop. It's sort of hard to explain, but this is NOT a warped rotor issue as the brakes are new and the Jeep does not do this if I pop it in neutral and stop. It's also not the feeling you get when the automatic tranny downshifts when your slowing. So I can only imagine its something with the tranny if it's perfectly smooth in neutral, but not when left in drive. This is not a huge issue, but something I notice nonetheless. Tranny fluid has been changed recently and the jeep currently has 112,000 miles.

Thanks guys.

JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Idano12
2004 WJ 

"Tranny fluid has been changed recently"

Improper transmission fluid level ?
Idano12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
JTS97Z28

I don't know I didn't think a fluid level would have anything to do with what feels like a mechanical shutter. It was done at a jeep dealership so hopefully the fluid level is correct. I will check it tomorrow.
Any other ideas?
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you recently got new brake pads and rotors installed, it is not unusual to get a tiny bit of brake chatter right before it comes to a full stop. Mine did this until they "wore in" a bit.
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Duh

Youd be amazed how many nee mopar brake rotors we install and then remove after finding them warped out of the box. Whats worse is that they ship them now shrinkwrapped with no cardboard, and the edges get chewed up in shipping andd cause odd pedal feelings.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
JTS97Z28

I tried to make it clear that I don't think this is a warped rotor issue. Like I said when I pop the jeep into neutral then come to a stop its 100% smooth. I may have described the problem worse than it is because it really is minor and the jeeps drives just great. Best way to describe it, is it feels like the brakes grab just the split second before the jeep comes to a stop. Sometimes it rolls to a stop smooth, and other times it will feel like a slight nudge as it's stopping. Tomorrow I'm gonna be at my moms house and she has an 04 limited 4.7. I will drive hers to compare.
Tranny fluid level appears to be fine, and fluid color is nice and pink. Transmission shifts just fine as well.
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Upside
2002 WJ 

Take off the front driveshaft and see if you still have the problem. A bad U-joint will manifest itself under braking because the axle moves back slightly during the stop.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
JTS97Z28

^^^ will do thanks for the info. My only question though, that driveshaft is still spinning regardless if the Jeep is in drive or neutral correct? So would your idea even matter for my situation since it only does this while left in drive, but is perfectly smooth if I stop in neutral?

Thanks for the info.
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Pagarcia13
2001 WJ 

What type of break calipers do you have? I had teves. I knew my rotors were good, but I got that low speed shutter every time I came to a stop. I recently up graded my calipers to akebono and some new rotors. All the info I found was point in the calipers. I had some upper control arm issue, but those are now taken care of and I have no more shutter. I only changed the front calipers not the back ones.
Pagarcia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
JTS97Z28

I believe mine has teves as well. The car brakes just great and as far as that goes is very smooth. Like I said, when I stop in neutral the brakes are absolutely smooth. So as far as I can tell I eliminated the brakes as a possible culprit.
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Upside
2002 WJ 

The driveshaft spins as long as the jeep is moving no matter if it's in drive or not. In neutral you have just removed most of the drag from the transfer case end of the driveshaft. I may be talking out of my rear end here but it's pretty easy to remove the front driveshaft with an 8mm wrench and see if it's causing your issue.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Idano12
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
The driveshaft spins as long as the jeep is moving no matter if it's in drive or not. In neutral you have just removed most of the drag from the transfer case end of the driveshaft. I may be talking out of my rear end here but it's pretty easy to remove the front driveshaft with an 8mm wrench and see if it's causing your issue.
Sounds to me like the logical #3 on the cheap and easy diagnostics list for what's being described.
Idano12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
tudor46ford

This sounds like a torque converter clutch not wanting to release. Especially since you have just had your trans serviced. Might want to make sure they used the proper fluid. Also check your tc relay to see if it might be trying to stick closed and not release.
Just my 2 pennies.
Mike
tudor46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
JTS97Z28

I just checked the receipt from the Jeep dealership and it says they changed two filters and fluid using ATF+4. As far as I know that is the correct fluid.
I will look over all the ujoints and see how they look, but I'm not gonna hold my breath that it's that simple.

I think tudor46ford is into something with the torque converter. I drove the jeep a lot today and just as I already described, the jeep otherwise drives normal. However just as your about to stop it feels like your tapping the brakes and the jeep kind of jolts to a stop. It's by no means violent, and everyday driving my wife's doesn't even notice, but I certainly do.
Where is the tc relay located and how do I go about checking it?

Thanks for the help.

James
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
DavisI
2002 WJ 

I'm interested in the replies you get, mine has the same problem.
DavisI is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.