Why can't I polish my headlights correctly?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Why can't I polish my headlights correctly?!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormChaserTim View Post

Hang on a second. The idea here is to cut the outer layer of the plastic, removing the haze, then progressively sanding to remove the scratches. It's exactly the same as paintwork. Mag wheel polish won't fill anything in. What it is, is a super fine abrasive. Fact is, toothpaste would (theoretically) work. The reason you still have scratches is because they weren't fully sanded out by the next finer grit.

Think of it another way:
Coarse (600 grit)
Medium (1000 grit)
Medium Fine (1500 grit)
Fine (2000 grit)
Super Fine (3000 grit)
Ultra Fine (Mag Wheel Polish)

Tim
And after the mag wheel polish you didn't have ANY scratches?

Unread 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
StormChaserTim
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldry View Post
And after the mag wheel polish you didn't have ANY scratches?
No, none. On my Ram, I did the 1500-2000-3000-mag wheel polish technique, and here are my results.

Before:

After:

I did the WJ's with a cutting compound and a buffer, just because they were AWFUL, and had to be done on the fly. Not the best pics, but...

Tim
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Mine were almost as bad as the Dodge light above when I started... I didn't even think about taking before pics... but here's a pic. after all the sanding and before I added the polymer included with the Sylvania kit...

and here's the final result (I know it's opposite light, but they both looked the same)

A year after doing these I upgraded to projectors... giving my old headlights to my dad for his WJ... As you can see his were bad but mine still looked good after that time...
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Knightrider9827
2002 WJ 

I dont have any before pics that I could find, I sanded with 1500, 2500, 4000, 5000 grit then polish/cleaner. after 5000 grit on right, after polish on left.

not the best photo.
http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/kn...tml?sort=3&o=0
Knightrider9827 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
BigDaveWJ
2000 WJ 

Why bother, they are cheap to replace.

http://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Limit...kee+headlights
BigDaveWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

The sylvania kit is a little less work too... You're only sanding with three diff. grits then using a rubbing compound.. before applying the finish... It took me about 45min. to do each light.... taking small breaks to make sure sanding was even and opening beers.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
snorander
2001 WJ 

I got tired of having to redo them every year and just bought new headlights, best $100 bucks I ever spent!
snorander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

^ This. I went through the same polishing monthly routine and wish I had just outright replaced them sooner.

Expensive transfer case fluid? I wouldn't know; I have a 242.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

If you polish without adding the UV inhibitor you're wasting time. The UV inhibitor is crucial to prevent the rehazing... I promise you guys that it works. In AZ mine lasted for well over a year without any noticeable rehazing... the UV inhibitor works.
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Here's a good site for DIY restoration. They test quite a few of the kits too http://headlightrestoration.org/article-diy.html
I've tried wipe new (as seen on tv) with prety good results .
When i bought the wk , the dealer sanded the lenses and clear coated them
and that lasted about 2 years.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I just skipped all the sanding and elbow grease and just bought new lights. It was worth it to me and my back.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
miami5th
2001 WJ 

I had this issue too OP. I just couldn't get the new lens look that I wanted so I bought a pair of aftermarket lenses on amazon. They look great and were only like 75 bucks for the pair. New lenses easily take 5 years off the appearance of the vehicle. I think the company was called headlights depot.
miami5th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I just skipped all the sanding and elbow grease and just bought new lights. It was worth it to me and my back.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
I'm a poor seventeen year-old, so I'll go with elbo grease
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Brentski
1999 WJ 

I've used the 3m kit and had great results. It is the type that uses a hand drill (not necessary, but really convenient). As far as your scratches are concerned, it could be one of two things. Firstly, it could be that one of your sanding stages was incomplete, meaning you didn't get all the scratches out before going to the next finer grit. This happens, don't be hard on yourself, it is really hard to tell because of the slurry, I think the key is not to skimp on the water.
Second possibility is that you did a great job sanding and polishing, but you just have cracks in the plastic.

As far as keeping them from clouding up, a good wax seems to be the key. I have learned that there are two types of paste wax, carnuba and synthetic (or Polymer). I would strongly recommend the synthetic, it bonds to the plastic and is much more durible. I wax my headlights with it every couple of months (or less often) and haven't had to buff them in two years and they are still crystal clear.

I wish you luck.
Brentski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Alright guys, I have a plan that should please everyone, but I also have one more question. I believe that I have to remove the 600 grit scratches. I bought 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000, mag wheel polish, AND headlight sealant for all the guys saying it won't be worth it unless I seal them Do you think I should go pick up some 800 grit? Or will the jump from 600 to 1000 be OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.