Who knows something about suspension? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Toreyjw1
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newnan
Posts: 74
Who knows something about suspension?

I just bought my 99 GC limited 4.7 going on a week ago. She rides really great besides pitman arm play and a small pop every once in a while from the front end. She's a beauty too!

I would like to go ahead and take care of all the preventative maintenance ASAP and also I'm looking into a small lift.

What should I go through and replace? And if the cost difference isn't extreme or not worth it, what performance upgrades would you suggest I.e bushings, ball joints, shock/struts.

Also what kind of larger than stock tires could I squeeze up underneath this thing with a 3"lift?

Thanks! I'm new to anything Chrysler and I'm looking to be educated on what's good and what's not!

Regards!

Toreyjw1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 PM
99_wj_QD
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 63
Im a mechanic and own a WJ 4.7L myself, I love the dam thing, it is a great vehicle and I wouldn't daily drive anything else! Welcome to the family

Before getting into the lift and tires mess, I will give you a great list of PM to do with your jeep, do with it what you will.
- Spark Plugs: champion or autolite copper type only
- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Transmission pan service: drop the pan, clean it out, replace the spin-on filter and the normal pan filter, use synthetic ATF or ATF+4 only
- Differentials Serviced: Drain and fill both diffs with new gear oil along the needed friction modifier for your limited slip clutch packs.
- Front & Rear Shocks
- Replace your pads and rotors if need be.
- I wouldn't replace anything steering and suspension, especially ball joints, unless they are in need of replacement...that stuff isn't part of maintenance
- Don't replace your O2 sensors unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket

The maintenance on a vehicle is actually very simple and mostly inexpensive...too many people go over board with it.

If you want to lift your WJ I would go with a bigger company that you know will stand behind their product like Rough Country or Rancho
- http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-698s.html I will be grabbing one of these when I finally get finished with trade school and my International training
99_wj_QD is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Jeeples
Moderator
 
Jeeples's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/
Posts: 6,529
Before you even think about lifting your WJ, make sure you very thoroughly shake down the front end. Chances are many of the suspension and steering components up front are still from the day it was made. I'd recommend replacing all of the bushings up front regardless of how they look, at this point in the vehicles life chances are the control arm bushings, sway bar frame bushings and end link bushings are toast. Replace any tie rod ends or ball joints that have play in them.

Since you're new here and to Jeeps in general, you have yet to hear of 'Death Wobble', making sure your front end components are in good working condition will prevent you from experiencing it.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
Jeeples is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM
skain8
Registered User
 
skain8's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
Im a mechanic and own a WJ 4.7L myself, I love the dam thing, it is a great vehicle and I wouldn't daily drive anything else! Welcome to the family

Before getting into the lift and tires mess, I will give you a great list of PM to do with your jeep, do with it what you will.
- Spark Plugs: champion or autolite copper type only
- Fuel filter
- Air filter
- Transmission pan service: drop the pan, clean it out, replace the spin-on filter and the normal pan filter, use synthetic ATF or ATF+4 only
- Differentials Serviced: Drain and fill both diffs with new gear oil along the needed friction modifier for your limited slip clutch packs.
- Front & Rear Shocks
- Replace your pads and rotors if need be.
- I wouldn't replace anything steering and suspension, especially ball joints, unless they are in need of replacement...that stuff isn't part of maintenance
- Don't replace your O2 sensors unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket

The maintenance on a vehicle is actually very simple and mostly inexpensive...too many people go over board with it.

If you want to lift your WJ I would go with a bigger company that you know will stand behind their product like Rough Country or Rancho
- http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-698s.html I will be grabbing one of these when I finally get finished with trade school and my International training
1. Do not replace shocks if you are going to soon lift your WJ. Makes no sense.

2. Do not buy the linked lift kit - it is absolute garbage. I just finished my Multi-International training, so I know better.

Good luck with your WJ.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
Half-Ton axle swap guide
231HD build info

skain8 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Jeeples
Moderator
 
Jeeples's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: forum/f310/
Posts: 6,529
^ That too.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
Jeeples is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 07:50 PM
gcjeeping
Jeep Tinkerer
 
gcjeeping's Avatar
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -----Sacramento-----
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
Im a mechanic...
Dude really! Do you have to start every reply with "I'm a mechanic" then give bad info. If his Jeep rides great why replace the shocks? Does Rancho even make a lift for a WJ?
gcjeeping is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Toreyjw1
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newnan
Posts: 74
I have seen mention of death wobble! The pitman arm toe rod end is really worn and I'm looking to replace that this week. Are there any recommended bushing kids out there? And what could be the slight pipping noise I hear coning from the front end on bumps? I've taken her down some trained and notice it some times. What are peoples thoughts on mild wheel spacers? I like the stance of them.
Toreyjw1 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
bgohsman
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1
I have seen mention of death wobble! The pitman arm toe rod end is really worn and I'm looking to replace that this week. Are there any recommended bushing kids out there? And what could be the slight pipping noise I hear coning from the front end on bumps? I've taken her down some trained and notice it some times. What are peoples thoughts on mild wheel spacers? I like the stance of them.
I've seen several people in the forum recommend KOR bushings (Keith's Off Road). They have a kit that claims to solve over 90% of "death wobble" problems. That said, I have been fortunate enough to not run into that (yet). However, my front differential's pinion bearings went out. So while I'm at it, I'm going to replace my old bushings with the KORs.

The popping sound could be a tie rod end or ball joint. If it has over 100,000 miles on it and has the original ball joints and tie rod ends, it may be due. Depends on how and where it's been driven. Mine made it much longer, but were really bad when I finally changed them. You could also have a worn spring insulator (the rubber ring that sits between the spring and pillars). When the spring compresses, the end rotates. If it's metal-on-metal, it can stick and then pop free. A broken spring can also make a pop, but you'd see sagging on the side with the broken spring. And it sounds like your Jeep rides fine.

At the very least, make sure the tie rod ends and ball joints are ok. If one fails, it can be really dangerous. If you have the ability to change them yourself, the parts are really inexpensive. The coil spring insulators are also cheap, but you have to use a spring compressor.

Good luck!

Brandon Gohsman
bgohsman is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM
MuddyWJ
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Rafael
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohsman View Post

I've seen several people in the forum recommend KOR bushings (Kevins Off Road).
Fixed that for ya.
MuddyWJ is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM
PackLifeNC
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 49
I had the identical popping noise on my way to work Friday. Come to find out its was the front outer tie rod end. Simple $31 fix

www.packlifenc.com
PackLifeNC is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM
99_wj_QD
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Dude really! Do you have to start every reply with "I'm a mechanic" then give bad info. If his Jeep rides great why replace the shocks? Does Rancho even make a lift for a WJ?
I simply made a list of preventive maintenance ideas, he can do whatever he likes with his jeep...and for the rancho comment, I don't know nor do I care if they have a kit for a WJ because I listed two well established companies for an example of a well established company
99_wj_QD is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM
gcjeeping
Jeep Tinkerer
 
gcjeeping's Avatar
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -----Sacramento-----
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
I simply made a list of preventive maintenance ideas, he can do whatever he likes with his jeep...and for the rancho comment, I don't know nor do I care if they have a kit for a WJ because I listed two well established companies for an example of a well established company
That's all you took way from my and all the other comments on here. Your a lost cause. Obviously you don't give a crap about what your spewing. Take a minute and read all the replies to all your posts over the last couple days. You have alienated just about everyone that has read any of your posts. Keep up the good work.
gcjeeping is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 AM
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!
 
alfaitalia's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bognor
Posts: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
That's all you took way from my and all the other comments on here. Your a lost cause. Obviously you don't give a crap about what your spewing. Take a minute and read all the replies to all your posts over the last couple days. You have alienated just about everyone that has read any of your posts. Keep up the good work.
Amen brother!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
alfaitalia is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Toreyjw1
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newnan
Posts: 74
In lieu of these repeating comments, I fully intend to begin every post or reply with I'm a mechanic, just to get a daily laugh.

But on another note; I've found the rough country 4" lift. Its 500 and looks to include the bushings I was planning on replacing anyways. Then plan to add the 1.5" specters to add a bit of stance.

I had an 04 duramax with the 6" rough country and I was pleased with its quality. Any thoughts on that setup? And what else should I address while lifting 4"? I'd hate to be put in a bad spot because of a lift
Toreyjw1 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 AM
ezflip
Moderator
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,900
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreyjw1 View Post
In lieu of these repeating comments, I fully intend to begin every post or reply with I'm a mechanic, just to get a daily laugh.

But on another note; I've found the rough country 4" lift. Its 500 and looks to include the bushings I was planning on replacing anyways. Then plan to add the 1.5" specters to add a bit of stance.

I had an 04 duramax with the 6" rough country and I was pleased with its quality. Any thoughts on that setup? And what else should I address while lifting 4"? I'd hate to be put in a bad spot because of a lift
If you're going to go rc, go with the x series or the long arm kit. Well worth the extra money. The cheaper kit has drop brackets in place of adjustable parts. Which causes problems down the road.

~James

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, 3" exhaust, Magnaflow hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread
ezflip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome