White Smoke Under Hood - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > White Smoke Under Hood

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
gunner74
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the same issue, thought it was a pin hole in radiator or hose but couldn't find any. It was raining with lots of standing water from snow melt. Definately not oil in my case, appears to be moisture or rain water steaming off, only happens in high humidity like rain, snow, fog mornings.

gunner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
dcc171
2003 WJ 

I literally just signed on to make a post that my car is having this problem. I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area (please no Steelers comments) and I just noticed this problem on my Jeep the past two days. I have a WJ / 2003 Grand Cherokee v6. Yesterday in Pittsburgh the temperature was about 35 degrees and very humid, light rain / misty, and then started to snow later. There wasn't a lot of water on the road, but enough that I had to mildly use my wipers.

When I stopped the Jeep at a parking spot, I saw a white steam coming from the hood. It was not a black smoke but definitely more of this white steam / smoke that everyone else has mentioned. The hood of the Jeep was not overheated or hot, the inside area around the radiator didn't seem overheated, and the temp gauge appeared in the normal heat range. The white steam was coming from the driver side of the hood (if you're facing the hood, the middle-right side), which is right where the Radiator cap is located.

I guess this is a benign problem? The consensus appears to be this is just an evaporation of moisture on top of the Radiator. It seems very strange that this is just something to "let go" and not to correct. However, I have read here that others have looked for pin-hole leaks in the radiator cap or leaks in the tubes but didn't find anything.

I'm trying to be cautious here because the cooling fan relay has gone twice in my WJ, the first time I didn't realize the issue and I had serious overheat issues before I was able to power down the vehicle. So I'm fearful the cooling system in these WJs isn't the best...
dcc171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
garthfan0523
2003 WJ 

Not trying to be a jerk, Outlaw, but please see the following statement direct from the 1999-2004 Jeep Factory Service Manual:

garthfan0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Kraigers1
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OK, fellas. No need to get all heated up, tho I bet blowing off steam is harmless in that regard too.

Thanks for the great info, and particularly the last post with the Jeep repair manual. That rocks - and puts my mind totally at ease that this is a non-issue. This is EXACTLY what's happening to me.
Kraigers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
garthfan0523
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraigers1 View Post
OK, fellas. No need to get all heated up, tho I bet blowing off steam is harmless in that regard too.
Everybody's a comedian. nyuk, nyuk

garthfan0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
outlaw30
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthfan0523 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, Outlaw, but please see the following statement direct from the 1999-2004 Jeep Factory Service Manual:

No worries, and good info, that would also apply to every vehicle with a front radiator. What you posted makes perfect sense. When your jeep gives up the little white puff of steam, does every vehicle out there do it? My post was also directed at anyone thinking that white 'smoke' or steam was in any way related to oil...its not.
outlaw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
bhos1798
2003 WJ 

I had a similar problem with steam coming from under the hood and after poking around a little i found it was a loose clamp allowing coolant to slowly drip onto the passenger side of the engine. It was not overheating and the coolant level was fine because it was such a slow leak. tightened the clamp and problem solved.
bhos1798 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.