White smoke coming from under jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > White smoke coming from under jeep

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Wjboy04
2004 WJ 

White smoke coming from under jeep

Ok this is what's going on.... It's about 106 with heat index.... I got off of the highway this evening an I was coming down the exit ramp an then all of a sudden whit smoke an I smelled oil burning.... I have no clue what it is at all... Help me try to figure this out....

Thank you

Wjboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

We have a new Pope?

I'd have a look at whatever is on top of the black burned spot on your exhaust. Are you losing oil or PS fluid? Check all the fluid levels and see which one is low.
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Wjboy04
2004 WJ 

I checked all of the fluids last week an every thing looked good.... This also happend about a year or so ago an it has not done it sense untill today.... An I have drive it all over the place.. Down to TN about 3 time an to SC last summer an nothing happend.... Then it happened today
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
Wjboy04
2004 WJ 

Anybody have any idea what's going on....
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

With the lack of specifics, no. You need to get under the vehicle, clean all traces of fluids and leaks, and start from scratch. As mentioned by Lysdexic, check the vehicle for leaks, everyday, and for low fluid levels. If you see something wrong, take a picture and post it here. You are the 'boots on the ground'. If you can provide us with more specifics, I bet we can help identify your problem.

Bottom line - If you smell 'oil burning', then it has to be leaking from somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboy04 View Post
Anybody have any idea what's going on....
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Yep, and if it is oil, take a look at the rear main and if it's leaking.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboy04 View Post
Ok this is what's going on.... It's about 106 with heat index.... I got off of the highway this evening an I was coming down the exit ramp an then all of a sudden whit smoke an I smelled oil burning.... I have no clue what it is at all... Help me try to figure this out....

Thank you
My wife had this happen not very long ago, though on a Chrysler T & C. She had a small split in her PS hose. Did you turn your wheels at the end of the ramp, by chance, when it happened?
The PS hose wold only spew fluid when there was a lot of pressure, like when she was turning into a parking spot. No problem when going down the highway, you wouldn't even know anything was wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.