Whiny transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whiny transmission

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
wjeeper6810
2004 WJ 

Whiny transmission

I recently pulled the carpet out of my wj noticed that the trans whines real bad in first, it did it before so not sure if getting or I can just hear it more now. Do all of them whin in the low gears

wjeeper6810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Damn whiny brats!! Give 'em a good spanking!

Seriously though, have never noticed mine do that, but with the carpet removed, you'll definitely hear a lot more, or more loudly anything that is there. Good bedliner can help with that though. I take it that everything shifts ok with it?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
wjeeper6810
2004 WJ 

Yeah it shifts good and smooth, just at take off it sounds almost like a power steering pump
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'll have to have a listen to mine. I have altered my kickdown cable though. I no longer have that drop in power when it shifts to second from a stop. Always hated that.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
wjeeper6810
2004 WJ 

I read bout doing that but am kinda hesadent on doing, I figured if it was maid to not shift hard mAking it shift hard might increase wear and tear, bout that rhino liner on the floor, it get pretty warm around the transmission tub, do you think the liner would bubble
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, the white retainer the 4.0's have was missing when I got mine. Shifting was all over the place. Read up on how to properly adjust it. From there moved it one or two increments at a time, testing it each time I adjusted. I totally agree I don't want it to hard shift as it can't be good long term. Just kept until I found that sweat spot whereby it doesn't shift hard, yet doesn't have the drop. Huge difference it makes.

When I had my camry, could also adjust the maf. Holy crap could you nail the gas and it would just take off LOL.

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
wjeeper6810
2004 WJ 

See if I read that right, you can change how hard it shifts
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

It's not really changing how hard it shifts, but when it shifts, or more precisely 'kicks down'. Depending how you adjust it can cause harsh or hard shifts. My goal was finding where it's not allowing those harsh shifts, but gets rid of that dead zone as I refer to it, between first and second. I hate it. Get half decent pull from a stop, and when it does that first shift BAM! drop in power. I've got it so it just goes evenly and continually through gear to gear. Depending how I do the gas I can make it shift on the hard side, but that's not my driving style. I've also learned over the years how to feather the gas to get it to shift when I want as well. Helps to keep rpm's where I want and give better gas mileage.

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
wjeeper6810
2004 WJ 

Might have to look into going that route, cause I don't wont the hard shifts but would like a good transition of power through the gears
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Just have to see what the procedure is for adjusting it, then just do it a wee bit (I did one to two notches) at a time. Took about 20min to get where I wanted it.

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
MetalijeeP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys! Been reading this forum since I bought my first tj a month ago. Wanted to let you know that the cable not only controls kickdown but also controls shift timing and apply pressures in the clutch packs. Too tight and you get hanging, hard shifts. Too loose you get stacked sloppy shifts, and can lead to slipping. I build, so I know those transmissions. Cumbersome at times but great trans.
MetalijeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

What happened to mine is it just didn't have the retaining clip at all. So shifting was all over the place. Some days was fine, some days shifted on the hard side, others way to soft. Figured something was up and that's when I found the clip missing (4.0 has just a small white retainer clip, not sure how the 4.7 is). So started playing with it, as it was a known mode on the gen3 camry's. Couldn't get it right so read up on how chry-co said to adjust it. From there it was the normal 'dead zone' my ZJ had. So the light bulb went off, and wondered if I tweaked it what would happen? Ended up with a smooth shift all the way up from a top accelerating to highway speeds. Just seems to behave better. Don't notice sloppy shifts or any slipping, so hopefully all is well with it. I tend to feather the gas though to get it to kick down and drop rpm's when I want as well rather than let it sit at a higher rpm for no good reason. Been doing it since my first XJ. Always find certain speeds when you think it should drop down, it doesn't unless you accelerate and it then does it, or decrease speed. I perfer to stay a constant speed.

Unread 07-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #13
MetalijeeP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's all about the sweet spot man. I tend to drive with a bit of a heavy foot, and most of the units I build are behind a diesel so we like them a little on the snug side. A side note: when you're ready to build that trans, it'll cost more but all of the internals of a Cummins unit (steel planets, more clutches) will directly replace the weaker gas stuff. Good for some serious off-road fun. Happy trails!
MetalijeeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Always good to know! And yes, the sweet spot. Makes a huge difference driving it since I adjusted it. Hopefully this will give me a few years of good service before I have to worry about it. Was replaced with the engine when i got it, but engine went and had to be rebuilt. Still recovering from that one! Long Story. LOL

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
bout that rhino liner on the floor, it get pretty warm around the transmission tub, do you think the liner would bubble
I have the interior of mine bed lined as well, and yes the tranny tunnel does get warm but it isn't hot enough to cause the bed liner to bubble over. You'd have some serious problems if it got hot enough to bubble it over.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.