Whining Fuel Pump - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
actioncat

Whining Fuel Pump

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 138,000 miles. A year ago it started missing out around 2,000 rpm on the highway. I thought the fuel filter was clogged and replaced it. It did not stop the missing, but shortly thereafter my fuel pump started to whine. I bought an aftermarket one, not an Airtex, and replaced it. The tank fairly empty and clean. Well in no time it started whining. It was an intermittent whine. This time I sprang for a Delco. It did not last that long either. Now I just replaced the fuel filter, and that lasted about a 10 miles and it is louder than ever and is all the time. I felt the fuel filter as it was running and it was vibrating from the fuel coming from the tank. I hate dropping the tank, but the whine is slowly eating away at my sanity (whats little I had). The tank appeared clean the second time. Did I get two bad pumps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The missing still happens at 2,000 rpm. I replaced the spark plug and that lasted about a month. I replaced the ignition coil and it still misses intermittedly at 2,000 rpm. Some times it decides to miss and sometimes it runs like a charm. I hate throwing parts at a problem and not working the problem. I do not think these things are related.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM
oIIIIIooIIIIIo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Did you try non-ethanol gas? That motor wasn't designed for ethanol (it is illegal to use in an an aircraft) that 10% crap ruins pumps and rubber parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket fuel pumps are often, if not usually, bad news. Spectre & Airtex being two of the more notoriously bad choices, as are store-brand fuel pumps from places like Autozone. I'd replace whatever is in there with a Bosch who was the OEM for Jeep's fuel pumps. I've never had anything but perfect experiences with Bosch and nothing but nightmares from other brands, which I have changed out several of. The previous fuel pump before my present Bosch, a Spectre, lasted all of 13 months... one month past its warranty.

And moving this to the WJ Grand Cherokee forum...

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Jeeples

2000 WJ 

Thanks @Jerry Bransford !

It's a fairly common issue with WJ's that the fuel filter is the cause of the whine, some brands of aftermarket filters (and even Mopar) are worse about it than others. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the filter on WJ's.

I've had good luck with the Microguard brand of fuel filter sold by O'Reilly Auto Parts, however I did get one of the three I've replaced that whined shortly after replacement. Exchanged it for another one and haven't had an issue since.

My typical replacement procedure is as follows:

Remove old filter

Lightly lube fuel line fittings (not the filter fittings) with a petroleum based spray lube. This helps to ensure the o-rings in the filter aren't distorted upon installation.

Bleed the fuel system prior to start up. My process takes 2 people as you need one person to keep the Shrader valve on the fuel rail open and another person to turn the ignition to the 'Run' position. Do not start the Jeep. You're getting rid of as much air in the fuel lines as possible.

It may take several tries until you get fuel coming out of the Shrader valve, once you do you're ready to start the Jeep.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
It is what Jeeples has *PARTIALLY* stated.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Thanks @Jerry Bransford !

It's a fairly common issue with WJ's that the fuel filter is the cause of the whine, some brands of aftermarket filters (and even Mopar) are worse about it than others. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the filter on WJ's.
The Grand Cherokee fuel pump is the same exact fuel pump and FPR design we use in our TJs. I have replaced way too many of them in Wrangler TJs over the past 20 years.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 PM
radrob503
2001 WJ 

Garage
Bump.
I replaced my fuel filter and a few weeks go by. Then I start up my jeep and hear this whining. It also comes and goes but is whining more often than not. It sometimes causes me to get a headache. I need to fix this ASAP. So, it is my filter and not my pump? I believe I put in a Federated brand filter I put in .

Love my 4.0.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The fact you replaced your filter/regulator with new and now hear a whining is an indicator it's the part you just replaced and not the pump. This problem of the whining WJ filter/regulator has been around forever.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ement-1356051/

Believe Jeeples spelled it out good here in this thread. I like his tips on lubing the fittings so o-rings don't get out of shape along with bleeding all the air out of the system through the rail schrader valve after install.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
post #8 of 15 Old 05-20-2017, 09:36 AM
cdplayer
2002 WJ 

Wj fuel filter noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
The fact you replaced your filter/regulator with new and now hear a whining is an indicator it's the part you just replaced and not the pump. This problem of the whining WJ filter/regulator has been around forever.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ement-1356051/

Believe Jeeples spelled it out good here in this thread. I like his tips on lubing the fittings so o-rings don't get out of shape along with bleeding all the air out of the system through the rail schrader valve after install.
Guess it was my turn to whine...Bought the 02 WJ with 103,000 miles on it four years ago. Wanted to replace the fuel filter after seeing a post where someone cut their old filter in 1/2 revealing a very gunked up filter.
Didn't know about the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel filter used on WJ's. But learning the hard way, I do now.
Bought the Mopar fuel filter regulator from Rock Auto.
Here's a tip for those who go to Rock Auto to get one. After entering your rides info, in the parts menu don't click on FUEL FILTER. Your choices here do not have the pressure regulator built in. TRUST me on this!
Click on FUEL INJECTION PRESSURE REGULATOR.

Put the Mopar in and got the whine. Felt a definite vibration placing my hand on the filter. Sent it back for another. Whine gone. Luck of the draw I guess.

Rock Auto part number for the Mopar fuel filter regulator on the WJ(4.7 or 4.0) is the same. 68193495AA

Just turned over 216,000 now four years after replacing the Mopar filter regulator with no whining..

Last edited by cdplayer; 05-20-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: add information
post #9 of 15 Old 05-26-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
actioncat

Update:

I dropped the tank (left the pump in) and ran 12volts to it from a battery and 12 gauge household wire. Pump was whisper quiet. I then ran the same 12 gauge wires from the connector to the tank. Cut a small wire and jumped the relay. Whisper quiet again. Put the old fuel filter on it. Whisper quiet. Bought a mopar filter from the dealership. Did everything that Jerry Bransford suggested. Started it up and no whine. Summer is here and thought she could use a good washing in the driveway. No whine whatsoever. This morning I fired it up and it was whining. Not as loud as the other filter, but very noticeable. I crawled under it and the fuel line from tank to filter that carries the gas was vibrating. Tried moving it around and it made a different whine , but still present. I even tried bleeding the lines again. What is going on? I feel like replacing the whole fuel system.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
actioncat

It was Jeeples that suggested bleeding the line.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-26-2017, 12:10 PM
ggullifordjr
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by actioncat View Post
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 138,000 miles. A year ago it started missing out around 2,000 rpm on the highway. I thought the fuel filter was clogged and replaced it. It did not stop the missing, but shortly thereafter my fuel pump started to whine

My wj has 186K miles on it, and the fuel filter has never been replaced. I was looking into doing it just as upkeep but i read on wjjeeps that it shouldnt be changed unless it is causing an issue. I have no whine, but with it being that old, if its full of junk wouldnt that eventually run into the line and then the engine?

'01 WJ Laredo 4.0L
post #12 of 15 Old 05-26-2017, 02:42 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I have no idea what pump or filter is in my Jeep. I am assuming that at 148,000 miles when I bought it. The pump and filter had been replaced. I am on board with anybody that has a has an intermittent whine. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't Sometimes it is louder and sometimes it's not as loud. I gave up on it.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-27-2017, 03:16 AM
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

I had this issue last year and a new filter/ regulator fixed the issue.

Make sure to use a quality one.

03 WJ Laredo 4.Sl0w
2" BB-Overland Skids
IPF 868 lights-197K
245/75/16 GY DuraTracs
post #14 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
actioncat

Update. I took the jeep to a mechanic and he spent three days with it. The whining fuel pump with mopar filter was having the pressure way too high. He got that under control and used a Wix filter. The problem with the engine missing at 2000 rpm took him the next three days. He replaced the cam and crank sensor, map sensor, coil bar, new plugs. Some was under warranty. (from parts I replaced) I ran it on the second day and did a little better, but nothing to write home about. The third day he tackled the code for the transmission sensor (the one that will only start in park or neutral). He said there were some wires with oil somewhere in or around the transmission. The oil was probably causing the wires to short out and back feeding the computer. Remember no code came up when the engine missed. On the third day, it worked like a charm and has ever since. He must have ran 10 gallons of gas with two people in the truck trying to diagnose it. In the end he only charged me $600. He could have charged me more than the vehicle is worth for three days. He went the extra mile.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
actioncat

Thanks for all of yalls input. I really appreciated it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.