Where to buy 4.7 HO engine parts? Are these any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Where to buy 4.7 HO engine parts? Are these any good?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
03GCherokee

Where to buy 4.7 HO engine parts? Are these any good?

As everyone knows the 4.7 HO engine isn't the most reliable engine that Chrysler has built. Why is it that internal parts for these engines are so few and far between? Everyone who has a good used engine wants $1500-$2000 for it. I've torn down my 4.7 and have the block at the machine shop.

The following are the parts I'm planning to buy

These Heads, but they don't say for Vin J or N----http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP-CHEROKEE-DAKOTA-4-7-CYLINDER-HEADS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255709339aQQitemZ16037 4010778QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
Timing chain-Claims it is for Vin J---http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-07-4-7-L-Dodge-Van-Pick-Up-V8-VIN-J-Timing-Chain-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e20ae649QQitemZ36027 4650697QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Are these parts any good? Any experience with them?
I'm also planning to buy a felpro gasket kit, an autozone oil pump, etc

The problem I am having is finding .010 oversized pistons and crank bearings.
I can't imagine they are more than $30 each when bought as a set? Anyone insight would be appreciated.

03GCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I ran an aftermarket timing chain off ebay and it was fine. Get the factory oil pump, its less money than aftermarket. Check rock auto for all the pistons and bearings. The clevite oversized bearings I bought were within a few dollars of the standard size bearings. Its the oversized rod bearings that your stuck with, they are double the cost of the standard size.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
03GCherokee

Thanks.

Ok so
OEM for the oil pump. $120 Online - OEM
Felpro gasket stuff for everything else. $220 Autozone, etc.
Ebay heads for $580 shipped $580 EBAY
Ebay (Brand PCI) timing chain kit $200 Ebay
head bolts $30 Autozone
Thermostat/Water pump $75 Autozone
Crankshaft (if needed) $240 Napa
Pistons $330 Rock Auto
over sized piston rings $100 Rock Auto
undersized bearings (or oem sized if new crank) $60 Rock Auto
rod bearings $100?? - rock auto error loading
rod nuts/bolts? $50??? - rock auto error loading
Machine shop cost to bore cylinder/check block $400 Local machine shop

I'm $2500 into it
Am I missing anything? Anyway I can cut back on that price? I'd like to stay @ $1800.. If the crankshaft can be cleaned add $75 to the machine shop and take off $240 for a new crankshaft. Anything else I can do?
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Andyh
2002 WJ 

The VIN code J Timing chain set on ebay....

I am in the process of sourcing parts for mine, 4.7 HO and asked the question to the seller, is this ok in the HO engine, they looked into it and said yes, its the same chain as the standard Vin Code J 4.7 engine.

Let me know how you go with it, i am due to purchase one and get it sent to Australia in the next few weeks.

OEM timing chain set in Australia = $1100 AUD.. WTF ????
Andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
03GCherokee

I work at a dealer (not a Chrysler dealer, but I still get parts at wholesale) and my cost on an OEM was around $550. Cheapest I could find locally was autozone for $520. Ridiculous. I imagine as time goes on and more people start replacing these chains the price will drop significantly. (At least aftermarket chains) I also contacted PCI and they said that the timing chain set will work for VIN J.

I'm seriously debating throwing in a used engine, eating the machine ship charges and selling the Jeep if I can't get below $2000
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
03GCherokee

Buying listed parts above tomorrow... Any insight on quality and price would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I wouldnt be in a hurry to buy those heads. Most of them dont even include new keepers. What happened to your old heads? I just had mine redone and installed new valve springs, keepers, retainers, for almost half of that price.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
03GCherokee

My old heads have three broken valve seats. two broken seats on one head and one broken seat on the other head. All three seats are just hanging on the valves. Also three of the rocker arms seemed to have just fallen out for some reason. These heads are shot. By the time I had new seats put on and these heads decked I would be well over $600 without even replacing any other parts.
How do you know these heads don't come with keepers? We are speaking of the same heads correct? CHRYSLER/DODGE/JEEP CHEROKEE/DAKOTA 4.7 CYLINDER HEADS: eBay Motors (item 160374010778 end time Jul-27-10 08:44:25 PDT)
Any other recommendations on where to get reman heads or used heads?
Engine is at the machine shop. Should be done by the end of next week. Would like to have the parts and gaskets by then.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
03GCherokee

Bump
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
jcooperdj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I did not realize these were problem motors. They should have kept putting in the old 360.
jcooperdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
03GCherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooperdj View Post
I did not realize these were problem motors. They should have kept putting in the old 360.
Ok I shouldn't have said that. I retract my previous statement, lol. They do have some problems, but MOST of them are due to lack of maintenance. If you keep the oil changed at the correct intervals, change the oil immediately after towing anything heavy, etc these engines are just as reliable as some other designs. They are not without their problems, but they are relatively reliable.
Again, I retract my statement and apologize to anyone who might be wanting to flame me.

Now with that out of the way, Wickedude do you have any experience with these heads or know of anyone who does?
Anyone else on this forum have any experience with these heads?
Any better place to get new heads? Rebuilding these heads would cost over $1000 between the machine shop labor and parts and just isn't cost effective.

I eagerly await your response.
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
03GCherokee

well the engine is done at the machine shop. Picking it up on Tuesday or Wednesday. Need to order the heads by Monday at the latest. Anyone have any experience on these heads? any other place to get a good set of heads for a HO engine? Someone must have some recommendations. I can't be the only one on this forum who has done a rebuild on a 4.7?

If I spend $580 on the heads I'm already $2300 into this rebuild. Would like to stay as cheap as possible.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.