When to use 4LO - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > When to use 4LO

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

So what exactly does 4 PT do in the Selec Trac that 4 FT does not? I know you can't use it on dry pavement and I usually hit 4 PT as soon as I get off the road but I don't understand the mechanical difference between the two. Does 4 PT actually better split the power between the wheels?

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

It's locks both driveshafts together. Splitting everything 50/50. FT sends power to both shafts but not equally. Best way for me to explain is it's like an open differential, power to all 4 but will always use the path of least resistance.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ
It's locks both driveshafts together. Splitting everything 50/50. FT sends power to both shafts but not equally. It was explained to me like a differential.
Does 4LO lock the driveshafts together like 4PT does?

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

It's exactly the same except lo drops your gear ratio.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
I searched this forum and browsed the first two pages of results without satisfactory answers, so here goes...

My buddy has a 2002 WJ Laredo with the V8 and auto tranny. His transfer case provides for 2HI, 4FT, 4PT, and 4LO. He usually sticks to 4FT while offroading, even when he's only crawling 2-5mph. Since I'm coming from a Wrangler with a manual transmission, I feel like it would be much easier on his tranny (specifically the torque converter) if he put it in 4LO for his crawling.

His V8 is definitely putting out enough torque that he doesn't need to be in 4LO to get over any rocks, so am I just unnecessarily worried about his torque converter being stressed by the slow speeds? Do y'all find that 4FT in an automatic is the best way to go for slow offroading?
Well if he's in CO like you I'd recommend only 4low,never use full time option offroad.Even with the V8 he is stressing the trans greatly and little cooling effect since he is going slow and at low rpm's.Need to get the rpm's up to add in cooling that trans.It will help save his brakes also.

Owned my Jeep for almost 11 years and have never used 4hi,if I need 4wd it's in 4low and 1st gear,granted now with 5.13's and the 4.3:1 atlas I may use 2nd gear sometimes so I can go 5mph.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post

Does 4LO lock the driveshafts together like 4PT does?
Yes

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Well if he's in CO like you I'd recommend only 4low,never use full time option offroad.Even with the V8 he is stressing the trans greatly and little cooling effect since he is going slow and at low rpm's.Need to get the rpm's up to add in cooling that trans.It will help save his brakes also.

Owned my Jeep for almost 11 years and have never used 4hi,if I need 4wd it's in 4low and 1st gear,granted now with 5.13's and the 4.3:1 atlas I may use 2nd gear sometimes so I can go 5mph.
Going to have to x2 this.

Once you get off the pavement, it goes into 4 low.

You are adding additional stress when you are trying to go over obstacles using the engines power and not the gears.

FYI, I use 4 low all the way up to ~45mph, so going "fast" is not an issue. Some of the KOH guys are going 100+ but that might be comparing apples to oranges.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Honestly i would judge that on a case to case basis.

I had my Jeep out in an ice storm a few years back. The roads were nothing but wet ice. 4 LO was the best option because i wanted that low torque. Kinda like first gear on a 24 speed mountain bike. Youre peddling like heck, but youre moving SLOW. Ive also used it when pulling people out of ditches. Ive personally never driven in large amounts of sand, but i imagine youd want the same thing.

4 PT is what i use if we get a few inches of snow or have some light mud.

4 FT is good for a ice/ slush/ wet pavement mixtures or light dustings of snow. Ive used it in deep snow without any issues, but locking the drive shafts together just sounds more assuring so thats what i tend to use.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.