wheel's peeling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > wheel's peeling

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
2000stocker
2000 WJ 

wheel's peeling

my stock wheels on the WJ are starting to have the clear coat peel off of them. Has anybody sanded the clear coat off or used aircraft stripper to strip it? thanks guys.

2000stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've had this experience on both of my jeeps. Best plan of action is to declear it with something like paint stripper. (a couple coats of that works wonders.) Now if the clear's peeling on the paint (normally doesn't), then you might as well strip it all and paint them.

On mine, I had some nasty corrosion, especially by the center caps (Limited 96-98 owners should know what I'm talking about). To clean that up and any corrosion at all, I bought a scotch brite drill pad. This makes easy work of getting the corrosion out. Beware that this will probably put some scratches in the aluminum (so damn soft), but if you do a good enough job of buffing, polishing (with a foam pad and aluminum polish), and waxing it, you won't notice it too much.

Some pics of when I was going it the the cherokee wheels

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000stocker View Post
my stock wheels on the WJ are starting to have the clear coat peel off of them. Has anybody sanded the clear coat off or used aircraft stripper to strip it? thanks guys.
are these the chrome of alloy wheels?
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
2000stocker
2000 WJ 

not chrome, just plain alloy wheels.
2000stocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.