Wheelin your WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Wheelin your WJ

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
charger
2001 WJ 

Wheelin your WJ

I have taken my WJ out a few times in the UK on what we call pay & play which are basically unused mines quarries farm land. Now my jeep is only lifted 2" but no matter what the lift I think if you really want to tear it up a decent front bumper at the least is required without it you plastic parts will be torn off. just my thoughts really.

Unread 09-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It all depends on how and where you wheel. Ive got a few front bumper scratches but nothing close to ripping it off on green/blue trails.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

wish there were more 'pay & play' places here in NEW England! haven't really wheeled my WJ too much but getting up my driveway in the winter seems to always be an adventure! that's why my family has 2!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
tckenney
2001 WJ 

Adam where in MA you from?
Bilstein 5100's, JKS Adjustable Trackbar, 2" Daystar BB, Up Country Coil Springs, New Coil Isolators, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, FloMaster Super 44 Extreme Off Road Muffler, K&N FPIK Cold Air Intake, Mopar (Front, T-case, and Gas Tank) Skids, Front Tow Hooks, Cobra 29 LX, Firestik 3', Iron Rock Off Road Premium Sliders.
tckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Easy to rip off front bumper if your in mud or get hug up and reverse !

Bigger lift will help with approach and departure angles
But in the end if your wheeling hard, steel bumpers front and rear are nice to have.
It too costly to import due to shipping cost so look into getting them fab up in metal shop.

I'm not lifted just 1" above stock and I plow the trails with my transfer case so armor up the under side if you've not done so already. Fuel tank and transfer most important. Lower radiator is exposed so look at trying to protect it too.

Where I've been wheeling it's common to drive through bush and shrubs and the front bumper gets marked quickly and in forest it's too easy to hit a stump hiding in the foliage. and tree branches scratch everything.

Most of the guys here have dedicated trail rigs and bash them hard, they are no longer road legal so have to be towed on a trailer by their DD.
I'm undecided to turn my GC into tow vehicle or trail rig. But I've realized it too costly to have it as DD & weekend warrior.
I need two jeeps.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
charger
2001 WJ 

I don't wheel my WJ now it's in to good condition to throw around & on this side of the pond everything is so expensive to buy. Jeep is really an American toy I have a Suzuki Samurai now for pay & plays. Stock the ride height is is taller than my lifted WJ & it has metal bumpers. On road tyres it can go more places than my lifted Jeep with AT's. Can't wait to get mud tyres on it which there are loads in the stock size.
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
MWF
2002 WJ 

The WJ is a luxury SUV, it was never designed to be utilitarian enough for the abuse most 4x4's get on Pay & Play days.

That said I'm surprised that's your biggest concern Charger.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

I disagree. It was designed to be able, but most who own them never will and jeep knew that. The WJ is a sturdy jeep and very capable but honestly i have been thinking over the past week while she has been down. I think i may completely scrap the 4in lift idea and just go with OME and armor for the light wheeling she may see. I like the WJ more as a DD/tow rig/family rig/light trails to a remote camp site. But rocks and mud? Probably not until I win the lottery.

But as far as its design goes it was built for offroad, just refined for those who could care less about going there. Plus Id feel a bit wierd doing hardcore wheeling in all that luxary...
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
MWF
2002 WJ 

Designed to be able certainly, built for off-road definitely - But there's no way Jeep designed the WJ to be as utilitarian as a Suzuki Samurai.
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF
Designed to be able certainly, built for off-road definitely - But there's no way Jeep designed the WJ to be as utilitarian as a Suzuki Samurai.
^^ agree... Have seen these little Suzuki samurai in action off road and I'm blown away how it manages to do what it does. But it doesn't make for a DD especially at motor way speeds.

Tom
Unread 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
roadcrew
1999 WJ 

I agree with charger also about front bumpers. First time I took my WJ to a pay n play, I knocked out my foglight with in 30 min. of getting there. I have a 2" lift and by the end of the day all the plastic air dams were missing, and reversing in the mud ripped the plastic cover off half way off.
Now as far as WJ capability, I was very proud to be pulled out buy a couple guys in samurais that were exo framed, locked and well pounded on. One of them asked me how I got my station wagon so far back in the s***. It was a fun day.
roadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrew
I agree with charger also about front bumpers. First time I took my WJ to a pay n play, I knocked out my foglight with in 30 min. of getting there. I have a 2" lift and by the end of the day all the plastic air dams were missing, and reversing in the mud ripped the plastic cover off half way off.
Now as far as WJ capability, I was very proud to be pulled out buy a couple guys in samurais that were exo framed, locked and well pounded on. One of them asked me how I got my station wagon so far back in the s***. It was a fun day.
Haha
This sounds so familiar I put big dint in fuel tank cover. As a samurai guy smiled
Got to love the samurai guys
And it's cheap to lift and make fully trail ready. Just can't get my head around it being so small.

Tom
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
charger
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
The WJ is a luxury SUV, it was never designed to be utilitarian enough for the abuse most 4x4's get on Pay & Play days.

That said I'm surprised that's your biggest concern Charger.
What should my biggest concern be

Good to See more Europe & UK people here too
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
marcall
2004 WJ 

This why I'm glad to live in the American west, Arizona to be exact. It's all open free and plentiful 4 wheeling. The concept of pay to drive trails is completely foreign to me. I know they have them in the midwest and back east but out west it's all open and free. Ok now with that said I'm a big fan of the UK you all have some beautiful land.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
charger
2001 WJ 

We have green lanes which are public lanes that you need a 4wd to drive on. Pay & plays are privately owned land that the owner lets you hoon around on for a price.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.