What's wrong with my rear wiper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What's wrong with my rear wiper?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 12-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Fronzizzle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What's wrong with my rear wiper?

I'll try to keep this brief...

I bought my 1999 Grand Cherokee used last winter. The rear wiper has always worked fine, though the blade itself was getting worn out.

On Monday, I replaced all three wiper blades - when I did, I noticed that all three wiper arms are worn out, the spring hinge that is supposed to keep pressure on the blade to keep it against the window are shot so the wipers all sit wherever they want. I purchased two new wiper arms for the front, replaced those and problem solved for the front.

For the rear wiper, I didn't think it was as vital so instead of replacing it, I lubed up the hinge and worked it back and forth many times. It seemed to be better, so I replaced the blade. The first time I turned on the back wiper, I heard a "thunk" and then nothing. Upon examination, it appears that the wiper is not "parking" correctly. When it is shut off, the blade is against the rear hatch and under the glass (see picture Park2), and the plastic piece that is mounted on the arm itself is far away from it's dock (see picture Park1).

I assume that because the spring is shot, the wiper was always a little ways away from the car and therefore, would clear the glass when I turned it on. Now that I disturbed it, I can tell something isn't right but I'm not sure what that is. I looked up some pictures, I can't tell if maybe the plastic piece that mounts on the arm is broken and not long enough (in Park1)? Or if the spring being shot is somehow allowing the entire arm/blade assembly to get too close? Any thoughts on what to replace/how to fix?

park1.jpg

park2.jpg

Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

I'm interested also. Mine has been like that since I bought it. I used it once and I was afraid it is going to scratch the rear glass so I never use it.
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

It looks almost like the blade is too big to me. Like the blade is holding it from getting into the 'parked' position, you know? Do you still have the old wiper? Might be worth throwing it back on there to see if it will work right with that one.

Its also possible that when you were lubing and moving the rear hinge, you might have turned it slightly on the shaft and its turning all the way down.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
It looks almost like the blade is too big to me. Like the blade is holding it from getting into the 'parked' position, you know? Do you still have the old wiper? Might be worth throwing it back on there to see if it will work right with that one.

Its also possible that when you were lubing and moving the rear hinge, you might have turned it slightly on the shaft and its turning all the way down.
That was going to be my solution. I took mine off to repaint it, and it did the same thing on it's first "cycle" from "off" to "on". Take it back off the shaft and rotate counter-clockwise.
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
JimJ_99WJ
1999 WJ 

this is exactly what happened to my '99 GC. that plastic piece on the arm looks cracked and is supposed to be solid. mine cracked the same way and the problem I had was that it would flex enough (read pivot under the tension of the arm spring) so that it wouldn't be lifted up high enough to clear the bottom of the window and it would get caught and not go any farther. after waaayyy to long trying everything to fix it I replaced the arm (it came with the new plastic piece) and it now works perfectly. the plastic piece looks too short because the arm is rotated up on the splined shaft too far. when you replace it rotate the new one down so it's seated farther down.
hope this helps
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Fronzizzle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the responses. I did check the old blade to make sure, it was the exact same as the new one - same make (Anco), model and size. I, too, thought I might have somehow rotated the arm on the shaft. Since the hinge is worn out anyway, I'll replace the arm and when I put it back on I'll make sure to have it up a little further.

Thanks again.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Mine did that when after I bent the arm to make better contract with the window. Try bending in out a little bit. Good luck.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.