Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What's a better WJ to buy?

3K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  kc2mrg 
#1 ·
I am looking into a new jeep and so far my best finds are a 2002 WJ Overland with 83K miles, the 4.7L and most options. The other is a much more plush 2004 WJ with 50K miles and every option except nav. This Jeep will see mild to moderate off-road use, as well as towing a small trailer and be my daily driver. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Cheers!

#4 ·
What sub-model is the 2004?

The Overland is the top-of-the-line model and 02 was arguably the best year. 4.7HO, QuadraDRIVE is standard (no QuadraTrac available on the Overland). Three skid plates, rock rails, tow hooks, UpCountry suspension, all standard.

It's going to take a very special rig for the 04 to be a better one than that.

#9 ·
The 4.7s were designed for 95th percentile service life of 150k, as in 95% will run to 150k. There are members pushing 250k, likewise there are members who drop a valve at 100k. My 03 Overland 4.7HO runs like a champ pushing 130k ATM.

50k or 83k, both are what I would consider low miles. Of course, overall condition and maintenance records are important too - if one has been taken care of and the other not, there's your answer.

#10 ·
I took my 02 Overland into some gnarly places in Death Valley when it was bone stock - I thought twice about taking my 09 Overland over a large speed bump. My 02 is dang near bulletproof, 117K on the clock and it runs as well as it did new. I don't know anything about the 04 Ltd's, but I've never regretted my 02 for a minute.

#12 ·
Another thing to consider is that the 2004 has such low miles...50k on an 8 year old vehicle is very low, so either it was driven cautiously and taken care of OR there are some problems with it that the owner no longer wants to deal with.

Personally, I'm partial to the Overlands. I've had two 2004 Overlands and both are great SUVs. Bought my first one with 75k miles and the second one with 92k miles and both have never given me any trouble (and I'm not just saying that). Regular oil changes and premium fuel is all they ask for.

Either way both of the Jeeps you mentioned are capable of running well past 100k, a close inspection of each vehicle should help you choose. Good luck!!

#13 ·
The Overland is the top-of-the-line model and 02 was arguably the best year.
Amen to that!

Lucky, I bought my 02 Overland a year ago with 94k and couldn't be happier. Getting to this happy point took a little bit of elbow grease though. I thought the jeep was cursed when I first purchased it because things kept going wrong (check engine light due to evap leak, broken window regulator, leaky heater core.) These are all things that are common WJ problems but can be fixed yourself from browsing threads. This forum has helped me tremendously.

Bottom line is that Overlands are sought after and Limiteds are pretty common. If the Overland is in good condition and was taken care of, go with the Overland.

#14 ·
I just turned 150K and the dude's rig beside me this past weekend on the beach had an '04 Special Edition 4.7L with 185K.

He drove it for work and it was a company vehicle so it was not treated with "owner-pride" like you find most of us do here.

The 4.7 has some things that go wrong, yes, and your experience may vary from my two examples...but usually the 4.7 is just getting ready to run at 80K as long as it has been treated well enough.

#16 ·
The following is regarding Overland models only, and why the 02 "may" be the best year, covering the major details.

The 02 had a chrome exhaust tip and the best intake manifold on the HO, but has mixed production of Teves and Akebono calipers. 02s all have UpCountry suspension standard.

The 03 had the LATCH anchors added (important to some) and improvements to brake and steering feel, but now has a unified intake manifold for both HO and non-NO 4.7s. UpCountry suspension was inadvertently deleted by a lot of dealers and owners for 2003 models and there is no chrome exhaust tip. Navigation became available for 03.

The 04s have the facelift front end with a different bumper, grille, and round fog lights. This is a pro or a con, depending on your personal taste. The 04s also have a two-tone leather seat where the earlier Overlands had mono-tone leather + alcantara. Virtually none of the 04 Overlands have UpCountry suspension.

#21 ·
The following is regarding Overland models only, and why the 02 "may" be the best year, covering the major details.

The 02 had a chrome exhaust tip and the best intake manifold on the HO, but has mixed production of Teves and Akebono calipers. 02s all have UpCountry suspension standard.

The 03 had the LATCH anchors added (important to some) and improvements to brake and steering feel, but now has a unified intake manifold for both HO and non-NO 4.7s. UpCountry suspension was inadvertently deleted by a lot of dealers and owners for 2003 models and there is no chrome exhaust tip. Navigation became available for 03.

The 04s have the facelift front end with a different bumper, grille, and round fog lights. This is a pro or a con, depending on your personal taste. The 04s also have a two-tone leather seat where the earlier Overlands had mono-tone leather + alcantara. Virtually none of the 04 Overlands have UpCountry suspension.
Besides the two-tone the 04 overland seats have larger seatback bolsters and more supportive seat cushions, reason I know this is I've had a couple people ask me if I had custom seats, lol

Difference can be seen here,

02-03 overland

04 overland

#24 ·
if it's wj and at the right price, go for it, but take it to a machanic first if your not sure, as far as insurence the older is better, but not by much, and as far as the overland, yeh great looking ride but id rather fix mine up that to have it handed to me on aplater, maybe cause im cheap, lol, but really bud go with your gutt,overthinking will put you in a bind, alittle research yes, just know what you want it for and just do it, aaaaallllllll night longgggg....:cheers:

#18 ·
Cool. Welcome (back) to the Jeep community. Feel free to ask us about maintenance, there are a few oddities in maintaining the WJ over your previous ZJ. Lots of model-specific fluid issues. Not a big deal, just need to use the right stuff when you do fluid changes.

#20 ·
A lot of it is covered in the FAQs as well as www.wjjeeps.com and of course, the owner's manual.

Short version:
Power steering - use MS-5931 fluid or otherwise compatible fluid - very important for the hydraulic-powered fan
Transmission - ATF+4
Transfer case - Mopar NV-247 fluid, Mobil 424 tractor fluid, or Amsoil ATH tractor hydraulic fluid
Differentials - 75W140 synth gear oil with Mopar friction modifier - even fluids that have FM in them need additional FM added, except Redline which works right out of the bottle.
Coolant - HOAT coolant recommended - Zerex G-05 is good, cheap, and available in most stores.

#25 ·
Sounds like me. When I wrecked my first WJ my GF was looking on craigslist and everything because she wanted me to get a Land Rover :)laugh:)

We broke up about a week after I got my WJ. Don't know if that contributed to it, but I can't complain ;)

I thought all 4.7's in 04 had the same intake manifold as the 02's? Or atleast one of the best intake mani's

#27 ·
vmo23 said:
Maybe I am in the minority, but I would rather take the 2004 with 30k miles less than the 2002.

They are both selling for about the same, right?
I'll join your minority. I have a 2004 4.7 Laredo and bought it for 12k with 43k on it, couldn't be more pleased. Although it has most of the limited options minus the disc changer and dual climate. Some hate quadratrac2 but I don't mind it.

#31 ·
If you're going off road with it the Overland is the better choice, IMO. I beat mine like a red headed stepchild all over Death Valley and Saline Valley before I ever lifted it or modified it in any way - it took all the abuse and never let me down. The armoring underneath, the rock rails (even though they are not the strongest, they did the trick), the upcountry suspension and the HO motor all combined to make this a stellar dual-purpose vehicle. The 04 may be plush, but all that will get you is a comfortable place to sit while you wait for rescue if you break it out back of beyond.

This is my 02 Overland coming down from Mengel Pass into Anvil Springs, Death Valley. Bone stock.

#32 ·
Those guys aren't even on my radar.

Even with a 4.7HO, the WJ is never going to be fast. It's heavy, very heavy (mine's 4440lbs, empty). But it's adequate for me and a lot of other folks. It's a lot like driving a 60s muscle car (stock). Not super fast, but torquey enough to put a smile on your face when you launch from a dig. Plus it has the v8 roar! But if you drive with a heavy foot, the 10 mpg fuel economy will break you of that habit quickly.

My biggest concerns - merging in traffic, climbing mountain passes with a load/passengers, towing & hauling. Off road, the power isn't needed. We're always crawling in low-range, plenty of torque to spare.

If you want to spank some ricers with American iron, pick up an LS1 Camaro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.