7Likes
  • 2 Post By azzkicker
  • 5 Post By MOTOWN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
jester72
2003 KJ Liberty 

What would you do?

I've come across a nice '99 Grand Cherokee Limited for sale, 188,000 miles and 4.7. It's currently at a shop and the owner is not wanting to pay to have it repaired. She's just wanting to sell it. All I know is what she is saying the mechanics told her-

"Likely needs a new 4.7 engine. They think the timing chain was loose, allowing it to jump timing."

The deal is she's was originally asking $500, dropped the price to $400, now it's dropped to $300 and I think I could get it for $200.

Am I really looking at an engine swap? Could I get lucky enough to just remove the timing chains, replace the heads, install NEW timing chains and be done?

I have some pics that show it's condition, but not sure how to add them

Thanks in advance, been lurking here before and got some great info for swapping a 2006 engine into my 2003 Liberty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

You could probably part it out for about that much, so there's not much to risk other than driveway space. It will probably never be worth what you put into it to fix it up, so don't fix it if you don't want a project.

I don't know if the valves can hit the pistons on that engine, but that's the major destruction of a skipped chain. In a very low compression ratio engine, you can skip timing and it just stops running. In newer engines, there isn't enough room for the piston to come up if the valves are in the wrong position. The pistons and the valves get damaged when they hit each other.

By the time you pull heads and timing chain, swapping a junk yard motor might be easier.
jester72 and Ravenbar like this.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM
MOTOWN
2001 WJ 

As stated at that price you can't loose! Hell you can't buy a fender new for $200 to $300 bucks I would grab it.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
As stated at that price you can't loose! Hell you can't buy a fender new for $200 to $300 bucks I would grab it.
True that, I bought one for 500 for the engine and almost have my money back parting everything else.

You can buy that one for 300, find a wrecked one or 300 and fix on up then sell parts and and haul one accross the scales for scrap once your tired of it. Try and find a roll over, they get totaled and some are nice. Private party saves some money too. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.