What is worn, and what is not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is worn, and what is not?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
ronj35
2000 WJ 

Wj What is worn, and what is not?

Hey all, I have some clarification questions about my front end. Could someone please review the videos and tell me if my tie rod end and or my steering stabilizer are worn out? The first video is my tie rod end coming from the drag link and connecting to the wheel hub that will rock back and forth when the wheel is turned, even when the car is off (itís the source of the clunking noise heard in the video). My question is if the movement is normal or if the TRE is worn out and I need to replace it. The second clip is of my stock steering stabilizer as I touch the plastic housing, is it supposed to be loose like it is and be able to spin/move? I know most guys on here upgraded their steering stabilizers long ago but I'm still on my stock setup so I'm wondering what the deal is. Thanks in advance!

TRE:
SS:

ronj35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

That tie rod end is shot. Furthermore, it looks like the nut on the tie rod is not even tight! You were just spinning the dust cover on the SS. The way to test the SS is to pull it off and see how easily it gives to you pushing and pulling it back and forth.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
ronj35
2000 WJ 

Thanks snobrdrkid07, but how do you know the TRE is definitely ruined? I have the nut tightened down just far enough to get the cotter pin through the holes in the castle nut, should i go farther? The reason I question your diagnosis is because i replaced that TRE about 1000 miles ago and i dont want to think about replacing it this soon.
ronj35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Short answer is that there should be NO movement between the tie rod end and the knuckle.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

^^yeah, that's hella loose. would be surprised if you don't feel that when driving
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

The entire stub is moving, if it was properly seated it shouldn't move at all. I'd take it out and see if the tapered hole is destroyed.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.