What in the world??? 04 4.7 WJ probs... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What in the world??? 04 4.7 WJ probs...

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
hookandladder

What in the world??? 04 4.7 WJ probs...

Hi everyone, new Jeeper here. Just bought an 04 WJ Limited 4.7 with 87k on it back in May. Replaced the battery last month as it was hesitant to start once it got warm, and a cell finally gave out. Last week, heavy white smoke and the dreaded antifreeze smell upon starting (it made a clanging sound when it turned over as well), which went away in about 5 minutes. It happened the day after as well and lasted about the same period of time. Checked the dipstick, no water in the oil, and after cooling it down took off the radiator cap and started, with no gases bubbling out. It has a faint antifreeze smell occasionally, but it's only smoked those two times. The check engine light came on the other day reading cylinder 3 misfire. Is this a head gasket problem?

hookandladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Sound a little more than head gasket. Did u overheat it at all? I don't think a head gasket will make a clanking noise. Do u have a video of this noise? Maybe pull the plug and check it out
How I do anything is how I do everything
coopdc78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.