What % of WJ's have Recirc Door Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What % of WJ's have Recirc Door Problems?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

What % of WJ's have Recirc Door Problems?

How many have had this problem- Error Code #52 on the climate control?

It's the recirculate door no longer working. BLEN DOR site has a 'fix' that doesn't return to full function but makes it either open to outside or open to inside air only.

The Blend door problem sure is less of a problem as that is FULLY fixable. This one's not with full function being returned.

How many have this problem?

I am trying to decide if I should drop getting a WJ because of this? Is a factory fix of this reliable?

Thanks all.

'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
steelheart
2001 WJ 

I suspect that eventually all the WJ's with the poorly designed blend door will need it replaced at some point. While replacing it isn't overly difficult it's a real pain to do.

I did mine over the summer and get to go back in as the actuator crapped on my too. Due to no time to work on it I'll probably end up paying a local shop to do it. But at least I've got heat, sucks to be a passenger thought.

I wouldn't eliminate getting a WJ based on the HVAC issues. They ride nice, can haul lots of gear and are reasonably quick to drive.

Steelheart
Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in = www.appleseedinfo.org/
steelheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
I am trying to decide if I should drop getting a WJ because of this? Is a factory fix of this reliable?
Just factor the cost of fixing it into the price.

When I bought my WJ in August, I knew the heater core leaked. So we based the price on having to remove the dash and replace some parts. And since I had the dash out, I replaced the blend doors and the recirculate door with the metal ones from the Blen Dor store. And I replaced the those two actuators. I don't expect to have to remove the dash again any time soon.

It's not really a difficult fix, just takes a few hours.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
sherker55
2004 WJ 

Is it accross all years? 99-04? It happened to my 2000...
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
JMD330
2002 WJ 

Quote:

All of them will. It's just a poor design. Although annoying that the easy fix requires you to choose to have the recirc door permanently open or closed, I don't think I would not buy one over this issue.
JMD330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Yes, the BLEND DOOR fix is easy, relatively inexpensive and actually an UPGRADE imho as its a greater quality piece than factory.

My concern is the RECIRCULATE door which must be pulled with dash pulled to actually fix it - so that it works fully.

The aftermarket cheap fix is only a semi-fix. Full function is not restored. Hence my concerns on it.

Thanks 2002WJ for your thoughts on not holding you back from buying one. I've checked two and they both had that RECIRC door error code. Bums me out on the car...

Anyone else have thoughts in this area for me?
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
JMD330
2002 WJ 

Pretty much it's just something you'll have to live with. I am one of those people that enjoy having a vehicle that is in tip top running condition (sounds like you do too), but decided I would just have to live with it being broken. I chose to secure it in the non-recirc mode. Only time I miss it is when I drive behind a bus or get in the car after its been sitting a while during the summer.
JMD330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Can it be changed? As when one might drive to S. TX or S. FLA in the heat of the summer and really want to have full recirc?

I was looking at a 2004 WJ Overland with 127k miles for $9k and found that code. I dropped looking at it as dealer wouldn't budge on price... says he paid $8k at auction which I doubt.... He'll sell to someone who doesn't do research on vehicles before buying I am sure.... if he dropped the price $1k I'd bite... TBD...
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
How many have had this problem- Error Code #52 on the climate control?

It's the recirculate door no longer working. BLEN DOR site has a 'fix' that doesn't return to full function but makes it either open to outside or open to inside air only.

The Blend door problem sure is less of a problem as that is FULLY fixable. This one's not with full function being returned.

Thanks all.
or you can get a laredo without climate control. The air blend components on the basic system is fine. I;ve replaced my evaporator but other then that the heat/ac has been flawless

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

But the Laredo still has RECIRC door problems too doesn't it? Or not? If it doesn't have any of these issues maybe you are right! Maybe I should consider Laredo....
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I have a laredo without the Climate control. No issues. I believe it's only to climate control option with those problem. Anyway that one issue shouldnt be a deciding factor. Inspect thoroughly to minimize other issues

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.