What size of tyres for a WJ with +4" lift and rims with -12mm offset - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What size of tyres for a WJ with +4" lift and rims with -12mm offset

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #16
thierryben
2001 WJ 

yes , I think you're right 22remud , I think that with my back spacing of 4" on my 16x8 , the biggest tyres that I can mount is 245/70/16 nearly 29.5" I have order 4 tyres in 245/70/16 , I will look

thierryben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yea sounds about right
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #18
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryben View Post
yes , I think you're right 22remud , I think that with my back spacing of 4" on my 16x8 , the biggest tyres that I can mount is 245/70/16 nearly 29.5" I have order 4 tyres in 245/70/16 , I will look
something is wrong! you should not be hitting the fender at all w 265/75/16. i ran 265/75/16, stock rims, 2 wheel spacers and a 4.5 lift for 2 months without adj.control arms. i never even came close to hitting the fender!!!! my picture you see is with the 265's. i had to trim the plastic bumper. that is easy. i was scared at first but after i started i felt silly. everyone on here told me to do it and i wouldnt listen. get out the 4.5 side grinder and an 1/8 cut off wheel and go to town. it took all of 1/2 hour to do both sides. 245's wont look right at all and you will be totally disatisfied. then you will have to sell the 245's for a loss. have someone who knows jeep lift kits and suspension look it over as i assure you something isnt right. try a 4x4 shop even if you have to drive a little way. you may also try wheel spacers they are relatively cheap about $60 a pair. no matter what, they are an improvement as you will have a wider stance, a more stable ride and they will help your tire issue. it will be worth it as opposed to trying to sell a set of tires. this is my opinion only and i wish you the best. ron
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]TO DO:[/B]
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]

Last edited by ronsaun; 04-06-2010 at 01:18 AM..
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #19
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The problem isn't the tire size it's his rims, they weren't the best size pick due to back spacing.
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #20
thierryben
2001 WJ 

Hi Ron , yes 22 remud is right , the problem is not the tyre size , the problem is due to the pivot point because the back spacing of +4" of my rims **** Cepek is too big ,

I think that If I have stock rims , there is no problem for the 265/75/16 , the problem is the back spacing of my rims ,

and I have just buy this rims , I don't want to sell it , it's the **** and I don't know what to do
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #21
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryben View Post
Hi Ron , yes 22 remud is right , the problem is not the tyre size , the problem is due to the pivot point because the back spacing of +4" of my rims **** Cepek is too big ,

I think that If I have stock rims , there is no problem for the 265/75/16 , the problem is the back spacing of my rims ,

and I have just buy this rims , I don't want to sell it , it's the **** and I don't know what to do
get wheel spacers. 2" are hard to find but i have them. or sell the rims and take the loss. no matter what, you are gonna have a heck of a time living with 245's and a 4" lift. i still dont understand how you are hitting in the back. if you keep your rims, get 2" spacers and buy adj.control arms you should be close to stock backspacing and be able to move your wheels forward. you will have to trim more in the front but there is plenty of plastic to take off and still look right. in my opinion it is time to throw in the towel, get off your wallet, get out the grinder and put this issue behind you. 245's with a 4" lift just plain dont get it! my opinion only. wish you the best. i know upgrading a jeep is really stressfull because it costs a fortune. alot of us have thrown good money after bad and it really hurts. that is why we all suggest solutions and are strong in our opinions. weve been there and feel your pain!!! we know this could be a $1000 plus problem. ron
[B][/B][SIZE="1"][B]aussie[/B] rear end, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brake pads, [B]ironman[/B] adj.front upper/lower and rear lower control arms, [B]teraflex [/B]4" spring lift, [B]fat bobs[/B] 2' bb, [B]rusty's[/B] drop pitman arm, [B]jks[/B] adjustable trackbar, [B]moog[/B] tie rod ends/ball joints, [B]rancho 9000[/B] shocks, [B]kor[/B] dual stabilizer, [B]rough country[/B] front and rear bump stop extensions, homebrew front quick disconnects, [B]rough country[/B] rear swaybar link drop kit, [B]IRO[/B] a-arm spacer, transfer case drop kit, homebrew rocksliders, [B]rola[/B] roof rack, [B]speed bleeders[/B], 2" wheel spacers, 4-[B]treadwright[/B] guard dog mt 265/75/16, mud flaps, [B]superchip[/B], [B]k&n[/B] cold air intake, straightpiped, chrome tailpipe tip,[B] v-led[/B] hid headlights w/halo,[B] v-led [/B]hid foglights w/halo, [B]kidde[/B] fire extinguisher w/bracket, [B]maglite[/B] w/mounting bracket, [B]cobra[/B] cb, [B]firestik[/B] antenna, [B]white gauges[/B] gauge face overlays, [B]viair[/B] compressor, blue led interior lighting upgrade, [B]hi lift[/B] 48" jack, [B]hi lift[/B] jack base, wind deflectors for: hood, moon roof and windows, [B]sony[/B] stereo, [B]garmin[/B] nuvi gps, recovery D ring, interior mount keyed battery switch, custom dash brackets for gps, cb, sat radio, cellphone, bumper mount halogen reverse lights, [B]cobra[/B] radar detector, [B]smittybilt[/B] gear seat covers and tailgate organizer, [B]browning[/B] rooftop camo cargo bags, grille insert, washer fluid reservoir relocation, foldup cargo carrier, aluminum side steps, [B]addco[/B] rear swaybar, deer whistles, [B]mobile one[/B] synthetic oil, [B]slick 50[/B] high mileage oil additive, [B]k&n[/B] oil filter
[B]reece[/B] front hitch, [B]warn[/B] winch, [B]elocker [/B]or [B]arb[/B] front selectable locker, [B]bulldog[/B] remote start, [B]hi lift[/B] essential parts kit, 2-[B]hella[/B] driving lights, [B]gerry[/B] can and bracket, stinger bar, wood dash kit, snorkel, washer fluid heater, rear swing tire carrier, finish the skid plates, fender flares, [B]addco [/B]front swaybar[/SIZE]
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel spacer would make the problem worse for him it would push the wheel even further out ceaing more problems. My sugestion is to try to either sell those wheels or to see if the place you purchased from would swap you (or pay a small difrence) and try to get a wheel that is the same euivalent back spacing as a stock rim.
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22remud View Post
Wheel spacer would make the problem worse for him it would push the wheel even further out ceaing more problems. My sugestion is to try to either sell those wheels or to see if the place you purchased from would swap you (or pay a small diffrence) and try to get a wheel that is the same euivalent back spacing as a stock rim.
i guess i am confused. -12mm is like 1/2 inch. that cant posssibly cause this. so his wheel is pushed 12mm out?
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #24
thierryben
2001 WJ 

yes the center of my rim is deported of 12mm ( offset ) and my backspacing is 4"

I have buy today 4 tyres in 245/70/16 , I think that I will be received it in 1 or 2 day , I will try it and I send you photos ,

I hope that it's looks not too little
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Offset is mesured front the center of a wheel to it's mounting surface. Backspacing is mesured from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the rim. For instance my old Toyota pickup I had was on 33's. On a 15x8.5 with 4inches of backspace it fit perfect and never rubed. The same exact tires in a set of 15x10's with 4 inches of backspace they rubed every wear. Because it made the tire stick out further causing a wider radius that the tire had to follow. If I had to pick a tire size for the situation it would prolly be a 255/70/16 or a 245/75/16. I'd prolly pick the 245 tho
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #26
thierryben
2001 WJ 

I look when I received the tyres and I post photos for looking together ,

many thanks for all your advices
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
22remud
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no problem
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #28
robiec04wj
2004 WJ 

i run 265/70/17s on my 04 wj with just upcountry springs and a 2in budget boost,they rubbed the bumper at first but that just took about 30 min and my pocket knife to fix, the only place they rub is on flat surface at full lock they touch the right control arm barely and that is because of no adjustable track bar, if i could adjust the track bar they probably would rub at all, i am running the freedom rogues with no spacers, so in my opinion the backspacing on the cepeks is what s causing the problem
robiec04wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #29
thierryben
2001 WJ 

Quote:
so in my opinion the backspacing on the cepeks is what s causing the problem
I think too
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #30
thierryben
2001 WJ 

I have received today my tyres in 245/70/16 I have mount a tyre immediatly on a DC-2 and I have try on the WJ ,

I post a photos , , what do you think of it :

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.