What paint for headlight backings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What paint for headlight backings?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

What paint for headlight backings?

The chrome reflector surrounds in my headlights are tarnishing...its starting from the lens and slowly working its way back...although there is no sign of water ingress so I think its just old age. The reflectors themselves are as new. Since I also have a bit of clouding on the right headlamp lens im going to take them apart, polish the lenses and paint the chrome backing black in a Laredo styleee! I know how to take them apart and polish the lens etc but I want to know what paint you folks who have painted the chrome bits actually used and how you prepped the chrome. Cant imagine paint will stick too well to smooth shiney chrome! Also was the paint you used heat resistant or do they not get that hot to require it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Its a chrome film on the inside of the headlights even cleaning can cause it to rub off. You can't paint them silver again it will never be as reflective as the chrome film that is more like a mirror.

When I was retro fitting projectors in headlamp I used alcohol based clearer and the chrom rubbed off with a cloth.
I sprayed the lowbeam reflector black and the surrounds only leaving high beam chrome. HID in projectors dont need reflector.

Even masking tape will lift off the chrome.

Clean polish the lenses but only wipe the chrome with damp soft cloth to removed dust and dont rub hard as chrome is a very very thin coating and yoy will rub through it.

I would advise just picking up a cheap ebay set instead of messing around with bad headlamps.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I've always found once it starts to peal, it's all downhill from there.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
Its a chrome film on the inside of the headlights even cleaning can cause it to rub off. You can't paint them silver again it will never be as reflective as the chrome film that is more like a mirror.

When I was retro fitting projectors in headlamp I used alcohol based clearer and the chrom rubbed off with a cloth.
I sprayed the lowbeam reflector black and the surrounds only leaving high beam chrome. HID in projectors dont need reflector.

Even masking tape will lift off the chrome.

Clean polish the lenses but only wipe the chrome with damp soft cloth to removed dust and dont rub hard as chrome is a very very thin coating and yoy will rub through it.

I would advise just picking up a cheap ebay set instead of messing around with bad headlamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
I've always found once it starts to peal, it's all downhill from there.
Sorry I did not make myself clear! I want the backing to be black not chrome (like the Laredo) so the pealing is not important. My actual reflectors are good as new. Just want to know what paint people who have painted theirs have used. Quite a few threads about doing it but none mention the paint type.
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, in that case once the chrome is removed, clean the area to be painted, then use krylon for plastic (it bonds to plastics so won't peel or come off). I've been using it on my cladding for years without it ever peeling off. You don't want ot use something that could potentially peel off and have to open them up to redo them again. Now it just depends on what sheen you want to use at that point. I'd probably go with a nice matte black.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Sorry my bad I thought you wanted to restore the chrome.

Most car paints will work
I used high temperature non gloss engine can spray
But it wasn't really nessary.
If I was doing it again I buy satan black car body paint.

Clean off the chrome you want to paint.
Or use a very fine sand paper no under coat is required as paint will stick to the plastic. 2 or 3 Very light coats of spray paint is all that is needed.

The orange reflector at side of head lamp relies on the chrome behind to be reflective. So you might want to keep that bit of chrome. Becare with masking tape as it can lift chrome.

Tom
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Thanks...I like the idea of gloss black......and I have some on the shelf! Might delete the orange bits completely as its the only orange plastic left on the Jeep (tinted rears and side repeaters!). They are not a legal requirement in the UK like they are in the US . Might replace them with white ones....might not. Will see what it looks like without them.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Gloss black should look good.
It will be better than the mat black I used.
When I finished doing mine a friend just said pity the black isn't shiny ha ha it was too late I had resealed the lenses. Live and learn.

Tom
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
lance-tek
2001 WJ 

I used Krylon Fusion [gloss black] when I painted mine (I had it on the shelf).

I think it turned out just fine...

Unread 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Yeah...that's the I look want. Good job!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.