What lift fits me? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What lift fits me?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and TERAFLEX JK Speed bump kit AND limiting strap kit!! AT ROCRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
TidbitWJ
2003 WJ 

What lift fits me?

So my story starts with a set of 32" wheels that I got for free! How exciting!! They of course rubbed like hell. Stock ride height did not agree with those tires. I quickly threw a BB on there to reduce the rub. A little trimming later, and she's not rubbing'.

Although this install appeased my "spend all my money on jeep parts" disease, it was only a temporary cure. I want more height. More more more. Now here is where the limiting factors come in. I'm a lowly high school student with a part time job. I work at sears, if anyone knows anything about sears' financial situation, they know that they can't afford to give me too many hours. I just simply don't make much.

I can't afford they insane $1500 kits. I need something less expensive. I want at least 3". No more budget boost, I know a portion of this explained how I'm working on a tight budget, those spacers aren't good enough anymore. I've read up on some driveshaft issues, and other things when lifting. Another thing is I don't need to buy this as a kit, I'm ok with buying parts individually to save money, if that even does. Has anyone else put together their optimal lift, on the cheap?

Unread 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
derekmac

2002 WJ 

You can't properly go over 3 inches without spending some big coin. Yes, you can get a cheap 4" Rough Country lift, but as many here have discovered, they ended up replacing parts that came with the kit with better, more expensive parts. Also, $1500 isn't "insane" for these rigs.

If you have a double cardan front shaft, then you are ok on that front for lifting. If not, then be prepared to convert to one. If you want cheap, find a set of Upcountry springs and use them with your BB.

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
TidbitWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
Also, $1500 isn't "insane" for these rigs.
Yeah, I understand that $1500 isn't much compared to other lifts. But, 1500 is a huge number to a high school student making almost nothing.
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
derekmac

2002 WJ 

3" IRO Lift

I know it's only an inch more, but I honestly wouldn't go above that on a smaller budget.

Build thread.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
3" IRO Lift

I know it's only an inch more, but I honestly wouldn't go above that on a smaller budget.
This or the old man emu HD 3" lift
Unread 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
SupraEv
2001 WJ 

I don't know for sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong but IRO 3" plus BB ontop? 4" ++inches Puts you at a decent level. Just gotta consider the brake lines?
SupraEv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraEv View Post
I don't know for sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong but IRO 3" plus BB ontop? 4" ++inches Puts you at a decent level. Just gotta consider the brake lines?
IRO 3" + a BB puts you at 5" which means you'll need everything for a 5" lift (long arms, etc.).
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraEv View Post
...and the control arms, and the adjustable track bar, and longer shocks, and the rear a-arm.

There's no 'cheap' way to above 3-4" of lift on these rigs, unless you can fabricate your own long arms.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
DKern
2000 WJ 

I am I even more lowly college student (I mean, I have to pay for the privilege of going to class) and I put the IRO 3" on. I wanted to do it right, so I have full adjustable short arms, track bar, and I did a few technically optional things like spring isolators, but I'm in an easy $1250, probably significantly more, and I still have to have a front drive shaft made because I blew mine apart after 2 months of DDing. 3" is probably your max lift, and even then be prepared to end up dropping around $1000 when its all said and done.

If your serious about this, hit up Kolak, he'll be able to price way more accurately than any of us mere mortals

Also, derekmac has a darn good point about UC springs on top of the BB.
DKern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

I would shoot for 4" if you plan on flexing with 32" tires. Zone 4" kit lists for $699.99, The front springs are 4" the rear springs are 3.5" so it helps level out a WJ. It includes front LCAs that are the right length for 4" of lift, an adjustable track bar that has really firm bushings and a 2" rear A arm spacer. Zone does not include front sway bar links so a set of front discos would need to be added to the price. Zone does have plain front sway bar links for $34.99 if you did not want to disconnect. http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...p-cherokee/j17

ZONE....This 4" WJ system offers dramatic improvement in both ground clearance as well as wheel travel. The system uses made in the USA coils springs that are designed not to sag. The new massive lower control arms not only correct front alignment but include factory like rubber bushing to absorb the road. This system comes with a small transfer case drop to correct driveline angles. A heavy duty front adjustable track bar is used to center the front axle. The rear used an upper A-arm spacer to ensure the factory joint does not get maxed out through wheel travel. Check out some of our competitors and you will find that most don't include both lower control arms and the rear a-arm spacer at the price offered by Zone Offroad. With 4" of lift, you can clear those 31's with room to twist as well as use your Jeep for a daily driver. The system is available with Zone hydro or nitrogen charged shocks.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKern View Post
I am I even more lowly college student (I mean, I have to pay for the privilege of going to class) and I put the IRO 3" on. I wanted to do it right, so I have full adjustable short arms, track bar, and I did a few technically optional things like spring isolators, but I'm in an easy $1250
I love when people say things like that. On the TJ forum that means $3000 minimum for 33's and only Savvy/Currie products. Everybody's needs are different and if it works for what YOU use it for, who's to say what's right or wrong.

2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #12
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

I am a college student with a 2" BB. I have lift-kit syndrome as well and only want to go higher. My advice to you is save up, especially if you are on a budget. Make an excel sheet of parts you will definitely need and their price. I'd love to have a 4" too but currently my rotted perches, dry-rotted and squished isolators, and my Rezeppa driveshaft is telling me otherwise LOL. Luckily all those will be replaced this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using C, C++, Objective-C, and Swift
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #13
-Rudy-
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I love when people say things like that. On the TJ forum that means $3000 minimum for 33's and only Savvy/Currie products. Everybody's needs are different and if it works for what YOU use it for, who's to say what's right or wrong.
You sound a little bitter.
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rudy- View Post
You sound a little bitter.
Not at all, just cheap. I've sold 9 of my Jeeps for a good profit.

2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.