What in the heck is wrong with my cooling fan? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What in the heck is wrong with my cooling fan?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Ravie
1999 WJ 

What in the heck is wrong with my cooling fan?

My top radiator hose blew a week or so ago. I replaced it that night. Next day I did a proper flush n fill. Next day it's still overheating when I realize my fan relay is toast. I go buy a new one. The cooling fan functions properly again.

Today, A/C not wanting to stay on at idle (gets warm) then temp goes up. By the end of my drive I've hit 230 degrees at least twice. Cooling fan no longer functioning.

What. The. hell.

Unread 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
losttech

2000 WJ 

Could be a bad fan they do get fried, you can jump it from the battery with some voltmeter probes right to the fan plug that runs along the passenger side of the radiator and see if it turns on.
There is another way to jump it also if you can find the thread that explains it.
Could be a melted connector to check your relay and fan connectors and see if the prongs are fried.
I know theres is another component in there somewhere there tells it when to turn on but someone else will need to give you that info, usually seems to be just a bad fan if you have already done the relay.
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Ravie
1999 WJ 

The connector for the fan relay has some melty spots. maybe a bad connection, I don't know. It was working fine...

The fan is a replacement from a PO. I'll see what ic an figure out. Letting the damn thing cool down right now...only 97 here right now...
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
losttech

2000 WJ 

That humidity sucks too I bet, it gets 100 here but dry I can live with dry not the humid stickiness.
This is the fan I bought if you go that route it seems to work great had it for more than a year.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If its jut the connector you could always go to a junkyard and clip some off and solder them on your rig if your good at that sort of thing.
I am pretty sure they sell a connector replacement kit somewhere too.

Here is one with a new connector relay side cant find fan side.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-902-303...+fan+relay+kit

This might be the fan side?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...FZRffgodLCcATg
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I played with the connector a bit...cleaned out the melty part and rebent the tabs. Now its working, so that was definitely the issue. We shall see if it holds.
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I would probably hit up the dealer or search online for a new fan relay connector. I know that RockAuto sells a new relay with connector, but I'm not sure if they sell the connector by itself.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I would probably hit up the dealer or search online for a new fan relay connector. I know that RockAuto sells a new relay with connector, but I'm not sure if they sell the connector by itself.
Yeah, they do. 21 bucks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.