what happens if I drive with broken cv joint for a week? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what happens if I drive with broken cv joint for a week?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
ozy

what happens if I drive with broken cv joint for a week?

I have 2001 Jeep i6 Cherokee and the cv joint went bad when I was coming back home. It is Saturday and I have to drive it for a week until I take it to my mechanic. It happened when I was trying to use my 4wd part time at the store parking. Is it bad to drive it for a week? Can I make my turns on an accelareted speed?

ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

On the axle or driveshaft?

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
ozy

I am not sure. It was dark and I turned the the wheel one direction and saw it was thorn. How can I tell?
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Drive it easy and be careful. I've seen people drive on much worse.
MikeyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
MadMonk
1999 WJ 

If its just a torn boot, you're fine. I drove mine like that for at least two years before I broke down and replaced the axle shafts.
'99 WJ Limited 4x4, 4.0L, Patriot Blue Metallic, IRO 3" springs, track bar, and rear sway bar links, Doetsch Tech 8000 shocks, Tenneco steering stabilizer, Carolina Driveline double-cardan front drive shaft.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
1999wjlimited
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonk
If its just a torn boot, you're fine. I drove mine like that for at least two years before I broke down and replaced the axle shafts.
X2 on this I drove with my drivers side boot ripped for over a year.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

If its on the drive shaft just take it off. How do you know it went bad? Does it make any noise?

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
ozy

Yes, it actually started when I turned the stearing wheel for parking. I thought I was running on a rock or something. It was not turning well. I had to back up and got another angle to park.
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Nobody asked why the heck he was in part-time pulling into a parking stall?????????
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Notabene
2004 WJ 

Nope.

Maybe he has twin sticks and put the handbrake on for tighter turning...

But what would a noob be doing with such a modded GC?
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Well technically speaking he was off roading haha

Quote:

2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

In all seriousness though you didn't blow a cv joint the transfer case was binding up. You don't need 4wd to park.

Quote:

2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
ozy

Thank you for all the answers but, the question was if I could drive for a week with that bad cv joint. The reason I was on 4wd part time was just testing the car since I bought this nice jeep recently.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
Thank you for all the answers but, the question was if I could drive for a week with that bad cv joint. The reason I was on 4wd part time was just testing the car since I bought this nice jeep recently.
Yes you can. For future reference DO NOT USE 4X PART TIME FOR STREET! You will bind the transfer case and actually break a cv or the case itself. Then you'll really be up poop creek. Your ? was answered in the first 5 posts.
MuddyWJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
tim0

2002 WJ 

The first question you should ask yourself is do you know how long the boot has been broken?
Second is do you know for sure the CV-joint is the cause of your noise?
It is possible that it will be OK for a week yes, but with out knowing how long its been broken it's just as likely that it could bind up or lock up.

The main concern the rest of us are trying to tell you is.
Never run your jeep in 4x4 part time when on dry pavement or concrete while turning.
This will put a very harsh load on your transfer case and could even damage it.
If you must run use 4x4 on on the road or parking lot it would be much better to run in full time 4x4.

Read your owners manual to get a better explanation.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.