What else am I in for??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What else am I in for???

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
PurdellMGP

What else am I in for???

My Jeep is a 04 limited with 4.7
Body and int. are mint...
Mileage is 96,000
New pads, New Calipers, New axle seals, New Muffler, and the normal maint. oils filters, plugs all done...

Then I ended up with my valves dropping, seats seem to be shot and my rocker arm feel off...Waiting to get time and $$$ to get the heads machined and put back on...

What else can I expect to go wrong with this...seems these Jeeps like to give their owners head aches.

I am thinking of selling it, cannot afford to keep putting cash into it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdellMGP
My Jeep is a 04 limited with 4.7
Body and int. are mint...
Mileage is 96,000
New pads, New Calipers, New axle seals, New Muffler, and the normal maint. oils filters, plugs all done...

Then I ended up with my valves dropping, seats seem to be shot and my rocker arm feel off...Waiting to get time and $$$ to get the heads machined and put back on...

What else can I expect to go wrong with this...seems these Jeeps like to give their owners head aches.

I am thinking of selling it, cannot afford to keep putting cash into it.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks
Sell it now or you will be committed to dumping money into it like the rest of us on this forum.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
PurdellMGP

That is what I am thinking, fix it and sell/trade it.
Too bad, I do like it, but cannot keep fixing it.

Any idea in what its worth? Fixed that is...
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Blend doors, cd changer, radiator, window regulators, blower resistor, battery terminals, vacuum hoses, tail light sockets.. to name a few of the issues I've had to fix beyond fluids and general maintenance in the expansive 6 month period I've had my '04 Limited with 109k.

Value is strongly dependant on location. Mine still books just under 10 grand for private party.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Trade up to a good 'ol 4.0 XJ

2013-05-13_07-52-10_60-1.jpg
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Did the valve seat drop in conjunction with a recent overheat situation?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
PurdellMGP

Actually yes, started to over heat a little then noticed the valve dropped. Its been sitting in my garage the last 4 weeks waiting for me to get it fixed.

What is the relation between the over heat and valve dropping?
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Trade up to a good 'ol 4.0 XJ

Attachment 627177
get 99 XJ(older head style)
4.7 engines are much harder to work on than 4.0
don't buy older than 97, they only have 1 airbag
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

I believe its the aluminum heads expanding more than the non aluminum parts when it overheats
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
PurdellMGP

Its crazy, as it was not that hot, I kept a pretty good eye on things...oh well...damage is done now to fix.

Yes, I agree, my parents had a 97 XJ just sold it had over 240K on it, never had a motor issue.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

'93-'96 are good, if you like the old style. Mines a '95, 4+yrs and no actual motor issues yet.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
henrygeorge
1999 WJ 

what vehicle should i look to buy with low maintenance in the $4k range that has the ability to haul stuff in the bed or back? ranger, s10, or equivalent japanese? i'd be taking a 1.5k loss and starting from square one again. however, i'm looking at $2K more in repairs, and that is with junkyard parts and good labor rate and the need to fix an a/c.
henrygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Yeah, the 4.7's have a lot of reliability issues it seems. Wish I had known that before I bought my WJ two months ago. Now I am having to replace the motor! But at least now I want have to worry about it!
Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrygeorge View Post
what vehicle should i look to buy with low maintenance in the $4k range that has the ability to haul stuff in the bed or back? ranger, s10, or equivalent japanese? i'd be taking a 1.5k loss and starting from square one again. however, i'm looking at $2K more in repairs, and that is with junkyard parts and good labor rate and the need to fix an a/c.
Within the first 8 weeks of getting my Jeep, I had to fix more problems on my Jeep than I did in the past 8 years of owning 3 GM products combined (all > 6 years older, 2 higher mileage). I love my Jeep and I'm not ready to part with it, but when I do, you can bet I'll be going back to GM. I'd go with the S10 as they're really great little trucks with a great engine (4.3L). My buddy has a '96 S10 I4 that he picked up for a grand and it's been a trooper for the couple years he's had it, asking for nothing more than oil changes and windshield wipers. The rangers are also pretty good, but I really don't like that gutless 4.0L or the way Ford tunes their transmissions.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
PurdellMGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog
Yeah, the 4.7's have a lot of reliability issues it seems. Wish I had known that before I bought my WJ two months ago. Now I am having to replace the motor! But at least now I want have to worry about it!
I hear you on that. Had no idea until after I bought it and owned mine for a few months then it started breaking, fix one problem another showed up.
Now I'm in for head gasket and redoing the heads.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.